robin van persie (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JGL07 said:
SWP's back said:
blue wang said:
key word being investors, a return on profit is a requirement not optional.
How much profit did Utd make on Giggs and Scholes and Neville.

You don't always wish to sell your best players. I am sure we all agree it would be better to keep Aguero until he is 32/33 and sell him for fuck all rather than sell at 26 for a profit.

The board will make any potential return based on sustained success on the pitch, not by selling players.

Yes but United paid Giggs and Scholes as much if not more than any other club in the country were likely to. They also delivered plenty of silverware.

Arsenal are doing neither. They either sell RVP now or wait a year and watch him walk away for nothing. If you cannot get players to sign new contracts they will go sooner or later.
Erm ok thanks. I am not sure you understand my point though, which is his lack of sell on value is not a huge concern for the board.

SWP's back said:
JGL07 said:
SWP's back said:
How much profit did Utd make on Giggs and Scholes and Neville.

You don't always wish to sell your best players. I am sure we all agree it would be better to keep Aguero until he is 32/33 and sell him for fuck all rather than sell at 26 for a profit.

The board will make any potential return based on sustained success on the pitch, not by selling players.

Yes but United paid Giggs and Scholes as much if not more than any other club in the country were likely to. They also delivered plenty of silverware.

Arsenal are doing neither. They either sell RVP now or wait a year and watch him walk away for nothing. If you cannot get players to sign new contracts they will go sooner or later.
Erm ok thanks. I am not sure you understand my point though, which is his lack of sell on value is not a huge concern for the board.

With reference to rvp, I agree with you I don't think the sell on factor is of much importancce howevr I don't see the board taking a hit on a player, we either sell at a profit or at least on our own terms. At the moment the market is weak and we can't get the right price to tempt us.

Unless bobby starts making definite noises to get rvp and force a sale of 1 of our srikers it won't happen,the board seem to be taking ffp seriiously .

What I believe we will see is the capture of previously identified targets ie a defender, a mis and a wing. Rvp would be nice however not inline with strategy.

Look I am no itk, just putting the pieces together, following the trends, seperating the noise from the facts

Till I hear something from salford pual or mcrjon I am not a believer in the rvp story. I do believe we are there at the table , if rvp talks with. Gazizi goes tits up there will be a bargain to be had but on our terms

sbm said:
newtonheathdave said:
For me there is no better fit than Van Persie. He has been a shit hot player for years now. Yes hes been injured and yes it is a risk but from what I have seen hes miles better than any other the options.

Let us look at the FACTS. I will take the following:

(a) minutes per goal
(b) minutes per assist
(c) minutes per assist or goal

First, consider last season, certainly RVP's best-ever season.

2011-12

Edin (a) 108 (b) 302 (c) 79
RVP (a) 111 (b) 237 (d) 75

Quite close, actually. Indeed, if penalties were excluded, the minutes per assist or goal would be 79 for both! The latter is really quite astonishing given:
(i) Arsenal's strategy focused around RVP, whereas City's strategy (by common consent) did not play to Edin's strengths; and
(ii) whereas RVP was on the field for the full 90 minutes in 34 of his 38 premier league appearances, Edin was 'chopped and changed', i.e. he was on the field for the full 90 minutes in only 10 of his 30 premier league appearances and, for 10 of his appearances, he was on the field for a TOTAL of 82 minutes.

Let's consider their CAREER statistics.

Edin (a) 151 (b) 363 (c) 106
RVP (a) 241 (b) 490 (c) 161

Clearly Edin DOMINATES RVP. (If penalties were excluded, the minutes per goal or assist would favour Edin even more).

I don't know what the claim that RVP has been "a shit hot player for years now" really means. Incidentally these career statistics question the frequent claim that RVP's poor goal scoring record up to and including 2009-10 were due to injuries (to state the obvious, the above relate to time on the pitch). It is also claimed that RVP's poor scoring record was due to his starting out as a winger; but then presumably his assists should be higher for that.

quite enlightening and backs up what many believe.<br /><br />-- Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:23 pm --<br /><br />
Monkfish said:
sbm said:
newtonheathdave said:
For me there is no better fit than Van Persie. He has been a shit hot player for years now. Yes hes been injured and yes it is a risk but from what I have seen hes miles better than any other the options.

(a) minutes per goal
(b) minutes per assist

2011-12

Quite close, actually. Indeed, if penalties were excluded, the minutes per assist or goal would be 79 for both! The latter is really quite astonishing given:
(i) Arsenal's strategy focused around RVP, whereas City's strategy (by common consent) did not play to Edin's strengths; and
(ii) whereas RVP was on the field for the full 90 minutes in 34 of his 38 premier league appearances, Edin was 'chopped and changed', i.e. he was on the field for the full 90 minutes in only 10 of his 30 premier league appearances and, for 10 of his appearances, he was on the field for a TOTAL of 82 minutes.

Clearly Edin DOMINATES RVP. (If penalties were excluded, the minutes per goal or assist would favour Edin even more).

I don't know what the claim that RVP has been "a shit hot player for years now" really means. Incidentally these career statistics question the frequent claim that RVP's poor goal scoring record up to and including 2009-10 were due to injuries (to state the obvious, the above relate to time on the pitch). It is also claimed that RVP's poor scoring record was due to his starting out as a winger; but then presumably his assists should be higher for that.

There are actually people who genuinely think Edin is a better player than RVP? Your not just being obtuse are you?

Had high hopes for Dzeko but that first touch just doesnt seem to be there, hard to play a posession game with a forward with the worst first touch in the Premier League (and I cant think of one with worse)

And there is still not a single football team in the world (thats the world by the way) that would not hasve RVP in their first choice team. How many of the top 10 teams would have Dzeko? Any?

He's not saying that at all. He's saying Edin isn't as shite as people like you think. ;-) Edin has taken time to settle and has had some really 'iffy' games... but his stats stand up to scrutiny, of that there is no doubt.

The issue with Edin will always be that if he doesn't score, and sometimes even if he does, he will never create the opportunity or illusion of opportunity that RvP does.

Take it or leave it but it's just that damn certain. I also think it's a bit difficult to compare RvP and Edin based on club level. Arsenal are no City and have zero playmakers or strikers comparable.

If I'd had to say it, I don't believe Edin could carry Arsenal the way Van Persie has.

It's a little unfair on Dzeko to say he's shit compared to RVP. Most city fans will see Dzeko week in week out, whereas they'll only see the highlighted greatness of RVP on MOTD or whatever. Those stats if true are quite enlightening.

Monkfish said:
sbm said:
newtonheathdave said:

(a) minutes per goal
(b) minutes per assist

2011-12

There are actually people who genuinely think Edin is a better player than RVP? Your not just being obtuse are you?

Had high hopes for Dzeko but that first touch just doesnt seem to be there, hard to play a posession game with a forward with the worst first touch in the Premier League (and I cant think of one with worse)

And there is still not a single football team in the world (thats the world by the way) that would not hasve RVP in their first choice team. How many of the top 10 teams would have Dzeko? Any?

Bayern Munich!!!

I don't see Dzeko at his best without us buying pacey wingers. Think this is what Bobby intended when we were in for Sanchez.

levets said:
sbm said:
newtonheathdave said:

(a) minutes per goal
(b) minutes per assist

2011-12

quite enlightening and backs up what many believe.

-- Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:23 pm --

Monkfish said:
sbm said:

(a) minutes per goal
(b) minutes per assist

2011-12

He's not saying that at all. He's saying Edin isn't as shite as people like you think. ;-) Edin has taken time to settle and has had some really 'iffy' games... but his stats stand up to scrutiny, of that there is no doubt.

Its what RVP's figures will look like playing for Manchester City that matters though-he will be devastating playing for us.

How many times has Edin fluffed his lines in the last third of the pitch? Technically RVP wins hands down in all aspects of his game,his assists are frightening.

^^^^^

Yep, there's no where to hide in this city team these days. Think we would have won the league by a country mile with RVP or a more lethal finisher.

Mad 4 It said:
I don't see Dzeko at his best without us buying pacey wingers. Think this is what Bobby intended when we were in for Sanchez.

correct, there is a plan in place. When we see this we will see the best of dzeko. Till i see this it is foolsih to draw a comparison between the 2, as the arsenal system is custom designed for rvp whilst at city the system is hardly playing to dzeko strength. Despite this statistically rvp does not out due Dzeko by a significant amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.