Rodri - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
In his defence the ability to play consistently on the half-turn is such a difficult skill to master, despite how often we talk about it. It's something Gundogan also struggles with and his experience far outweighs Rodri's.

We've been spoilt for years watching Dinho do it effortlessly without IMO appreciating just how difficult it is to think that quick, take the risk knowing that a slight mistake could gift the opposition a chance to go in on goal, and then make the right pass.

I agree, it is very difficult to do and as you say if your head isn't on the swivel or your first touch isn't perfect then you can quite easily kill your team.

On the flip side, we have hand-picked him as Dino's replacement to play a major role in one of the best teams in world football. We've obviously seen something that tells us that he's capable.

I think that is a very, very harsh assessment, especially given you have provided the video that shows how Nico unnecessarily put him in a very difficult position to begin the sequence.

The only “better” place to take the ball once Nico played the pass was to attempt a sweeping ball to Dinho, and that would have also been risky due to Benzema’s press.

Has @ChicagoBlue has said, he was put in a position of only “bad choices” and was not able to overcome the plans position in this instance, against very good opposition, in contrast to the many other times he has overcome similar positions.

Too sensitive from some. I don't really understand what the issue is, players can make mistakes - even great ones. Busquets made some against Napoli too and I was annoyed despite also providing the genius assist to ensure a goal. Very few footballers are immune to critique

For me, he should've opened up the space he was working in by turning out laterally rather than inward where he reduced his options and increased the risk for turnover. The responsibility in this area of the pitch in a system Pep employs is crucial to get right, all the time. Small margins

Too sensitive from some. I don't really understand what the issue is, players can make mistakes - even great ones. Busquets made some against Napoli too and I was annoyed despite also providing the genius assist to ensure a goal. Very few footballers are immune to critique

For me, he should've opened up the space he was working in by turning out laterally rather than inward where he reduced his options and increased the risk for turnover. The responsibility in this area of the pitch in a system Pep employs is crucial to get right, all the time. Small margins
As far as I know, we are merely discussing whether a player actually made a “mistake” — I have not suggested that players can’t make mistakes or that they can’t be good or have good performances overall if they do make a mistake (all of my posts have been advocating for more nuanced assessments, actually). So I don’t think there is any oversensitivity; if anything, that comes with expecting Rodri to ‘superman’ the team out of a horrid position every time. ;-)

By the way, I am not sure which direction he was meant to go laterally, given he had players just behind him on his right and left, and a player in front of him cutting off the outlet pass back to Eddie. The only real gap for distribution was to Nico or Dinho, both of which were just the “best of particularly bad options”.

It was very much a ‘trolly problem’ scenario.

Awful but you can see his confidence is gobe and a lot of foreign players struggle after the half way point in the prem before they settle, so hopefully temporary, but its worrying how slow and immobile he is, uncomfortable on the ball and not willing to take it under pressure. Hopefully the last two are temporary

that' my only hope here. Indeed, PL is very intense league and lot of players struggle physically in 2nd half of first season. I really, really hope it's that, because his physicality is awful at the moment, he plays the game in slow motion (both with hi body and more important, with his mind) and more often than not is miles away from action happening on the pitch.

So many bad short Passes. He couldn‘t keep up sometimes. Whenever he had the Ball he just turned and passed it back to the centre - backs. Very nervous yesterday.

Rodri still has to find a release for the ball and fails to do properly - you have to know your outlets and he failed to choose wisely. It's shared no question as Ota gave him fewer options but that's your job as a pivot - to shepherd the defense and provide an outlet for attacks

For me, he should've gone wider rather than shift narrow & centrally leaving him with higher risk for error/turnover

Thanks for showing that. Just what I thought from the first viewing, don't really see it as Otamendi's fault. Rodri has to be able to take the pass there and find Walker and pass it back better to Otamendi.

I agree with your assessment. The only claims I have seen here are that he didn’t play well last night. I really don’t know what the fuss is about. Tellingly no one has put a case forward about why they think his performance was good.

So many bad short Passes. He couldn‘t keep up sometimes. Whenever he had the Ball he just turned and passed it back to the centre - backs. Very nervous yesterday.
I thought I’d check before I posted the same, I agree he’s so bad at short five yard passes which really are the bread and butter of any footballer in any division and often puts us under unnecessary pressure when we don’t need to be

I think that is a very, very harsh assessment, especially given you have provided the video that shows how Nico unnecessarily put him in a very difficult position to begin the sequence.

The only “better” place to take the ball once Nico played the pass was to attempt a sweeping ball to Dinho, and that would have also been risky due to Benzema’s press.

Has @ChicagoBlue has said, he was put in a position of only “bad choices” and was not able to overcome the plans position in this instance, against very good opposition, in contrast to the many other times he has overcome similar positions.
I watched the game again and probably overstated that Rodri had been very poor. He wasn’t great but not very poor. He made two or three decent passes through the lines, made three or four poor passes a couple of which landed us in trouble. There are times when I think he could make himself more available. He is disciplined though and isn’t caught out of position very often.

I watched the game again and probably overstated that Rodri had been very poor. He wasn’t great but not very poor. He made two or three decent passes through the lines, made three or four poor passes a couple of which landed us in trouble. There are times when I think he could make himself more available. He is disciplined though and isn’t caught out of position very often.
I cannot argue with that assessment. I tend to think he was more good than bad yesterday, and that most of his “bad” moments were down to the opposition doing their jobs well, but I personally have no issue with an assessment that sees it it slightly the other way.

I just didn’t think many of the initial assessments offered took in to account the opposition, his role in the team, and the likely instructions he received from Pep for this specific match based on the pattern of his play I observed. When you factor in those elements, I think he did a decent job.

It was by no means his most impressive performance, but I thought he was solid and contributed to our historic victory, and I just can’t find much fault with that.

That said, as is the case for any other player on the pitch last night, I am sure Pep has a 15 page list of things he’ll want Rodri to improve on.

Thus is life under Pep — if Rodri had given a performance of the tournament Pep would have only offered 10 pages of notes. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.