Rodri's strike comment

'It’s a rock and a hard place in terms of trying to manage it'​

BBC Radio 5 Live

Former England and Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart on the comments made by City midfielder
Rodri and Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson Becker criticising the busy football schedule:

"At the moment, I have no doubt it [the schedule] looks daunting. That’s high-end football and that’s the qualities that are required to be in those squads.

"There’s no right answer because you need to tell the truth and you need to look after your body but then you also need to be realistic because someone else is chomping at the bit to get in your place. Football is played globally, people wanting to be professionals and be at that level.

"It’s a rock and a hard place in terms of trying to manage it. That's why the governing bodies, the people in the hierarchy, people at the game even people like myself now will have to look into this and say 'What is right? How can we protect?' We all want to watch great games of football, we all want that chaos last night but we don’t want people getting hurt for the sake of it.

"From what I know and what I've experienced, people are trying to look at people's welfare, it's not just the money-men at the top or TV channels saying 'we don't care, get on that pitch and entertain us'. There is plenty more going on in the background."

He does go on to say quite a bit more and basically he is being sensible and listening and not just taking a few words here and there. I'm finding Joe Hart to be a sensible and measured pundit. :-)

Not sure but not as many games played back then as the European Cup was a straight knockout competition.
I’m guessing no international breaks every couple of months as well?
I get it’s easy for us to claim that the money players earn means they should play when they’re told but there’s no doubts at all it eventually catches up and injuries and fatigue become an issue.

I just struggle to have much sympathy for footballers. Other sportsmen work just as hard but without a fraction of the rewards available to footballers.

Also although I completely agree a lot of the tournaments are pointless the players participation is very much determined by their employees (in this case City) and the National football association (Spain). The players negotiate their contracts with the clubs and so if they have genuine concerns this is their opportunity to agree a maximum number of games instead of just focusing on wages and image rights. The fact is the wages the player now demand require more and more matches and exposure to cover their demands.

I’m guessing no international breaks every couple of months as well?
I get it’s easy for us to claim that the money players earn means they should play when they’re told but there’s no doubts at all it eventually catches up and injuries and fatigue become an issue.
I don't recall international games during the season, not sure if there were any?

Thing is nowadays managers can use 5 subs per game in PL and European games unlike one sub back then and squads are bigger nowadays.

Rodri has a personal point I suppose as he was payed to the point of match fatigue and exhaustion last season but he won't be this season because Pep now trusts Kovacic to cover Rodri, plus we now have Gundogan who can play there.

Based on the disgustingly exhorbitant wages their agents negotiate for all of them these days I have absolutely ZERO sympathy I'm afraid.

TBH I don't really care if the players have to play more games, our squad is full of quality but not the biggest add 2 or 3 quality players and manage it, I believe the squad is rotated well and they get more than enough rest and recovery time.
My concern is the supporters who go to the games the increase games will increase there costs and the hiking at every chance of ticket prices doesn't help, that's what I would like addressing, for the fans who still are the heartbeat of our club, players come and go some kissing which ever badge pays them, we have a team for life. Look after the fans first.

He's right.

All these morons going on about "you should try being a plumber working 6 days a week mate" completely fail to grasp the need for proper recovery periods between intense exercise to avoid long term health issues and chronic injury. Anyone who's done any sort of sport knows that. You need to taper your intensity and if you're playing 3 days a week every week that's simply not possible.

That's pure biology and simply paying someone more doesn't change that.

Rodri more than anyone has a right to grumble considering he's basically been run into the ground over the last two years thanks to the club fucking up in the transfer market on his backup.

He's right.

All these morons going on about "you should try being a plumber working 6 days a week mate" completely fail to grasp the need for proper recovery periods between intense exercise to avoid long term health issues and chronic injury.

That's pure biology and simply paying someone more doesn't change that.

Rodri more than anyone has a right to grumble considering he's basically been run into the ground over the last two years thanks to the club fucking up in the transfer market on his backup.
Nice bit of wumming Johnny but you should learn from malg because he's an expert in the art of wummery; )

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.