Roma vs Manchester City Pre-Match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CSKAFan said:
CSKA fan here. I don't know if we will win today, it is hard to say but I can say for sure, we dominated Munich at Russia and we should've won if it wasn't for our bad finishing. They only won because of a bad referee call. Let's not forget, Bayern Munich are always worse at home. Come on CITY, please beat Roma today.

Don t mention the refs...there is a clear penalty not given to us against Roma and there is a clear dive by your player that given a penalty.
2 draws instead of two wins...2 points instead of 6...

I just have a feeling that after such a shambolic campaign from us in Europe and getting this late second chance I think our injury hit side will do us proud tonight and I fancy us strongly to win and to win well. I've gone for 3-2 in the "guess the team" competition.

If I am wrong and I know its been done to death but for one last time reference the scoring permetations; is their a scenario where we can end up in the Europa ?

MeatHunterrr said:
adrianr said:
aguero93:20 said:
Neither team were remotely involved in a title race when they won the Europa League. Imo if we are to go out I'd rather go out completely and go full steam for the PL title.

Neither team were as good as we are, and since Atletico have built on those Europa foundations to get to a CL final. Our players need to start getting a bit more belief in Europe. If they can't do it in the CL (again), then maybe having a good go at the Europa will help.
If the Bayern result doesn't give belief to the current group of players, then its pointless trying anymore with these players. Changes in the summer and try again.

All excuses are used already, 4 CL campaigns 3 of them failures if we don't qualify today.

Funnily enough they are my thoughts as well - An attempt at the Europa is just me clutching onto the straw that these players can do it in Europe. If we were to bomb out and win the PL again, for example, I'd obviously be over the moon with it, but would we just be on the same merry go round next season in the Champions League? Without some big balls decisions on current players I'd imagine we would.

ifiwasarichfan said:
I just have a feeling that after such a shambolic campaign from us in Europe and getting this late second chance I think our injury hit side will do us proud tonight and I fancy us strongly to win and to win well. I've gone for 3-2 in the "guess the team" competition.

If I am wrong and I know its been done to death but for one last time reference the scoring permetations; is their a scenario where we can end up in the Europa ?
Yes, we get at least a 1-1 draw in Rome but CSKA match or better our result. Unlikely though.

Dzeko needs to step up tonight.

Even if he doesn't score I want him leading the line, dominating Roma's central defenders, and holding up the ball for the midfield runners to get on to a pass.

Come on Edin.

Why English football needs Manchester City to reach Champions League last 16

Failure at Europe's highest level may dent the Premier League’s brand and lessen its appeal to the game’s top players

Why English football needs Man City to reach Champions League last 16 after Liverpool exit

Let's hear your support: Neutrals should get behind City in Rome to protect Premier League's worldwide brand and appeal Photo: PA

By Mark Ogden
As champions of England, and with their Champions League hopes on the line in Rome tonight, Manchester City deserve the backing of the nation when they face AS Roma in the Stadio Olimpico aiming to secure the result to take the club into the knock-out stages.

Forget the partisan allegiances of rival supporters or the mentality that City will only have themselves to blame if they fail to qualify as runners-up behind Bayern Munich.

For one night only, City should be the country’s team because losing two Premier League clubs from the Champions League in the space of 24 hours would suit nobody connected to English football.

Liverpool’s group stage elimination, confirmed by FC Basel’s 1-1 draw at Anfield, has already accounted for England’s five-time European champions, who must now brush themselves down and prepare for the twilight zone of Thursday’s nights in the Europa League in the new year.

City following Liverpool out of the Champions League would simply be bad for business for the Premier League and a sign that English football is losing touch with La Liga and the Bundesliga when it comes to competing for the major European honours.

More worryingly, certainly in the medium to long-term, is the prospect of the Premier League being overtaken by Serie A in Uefa’s country co-efficient table – a development which would see English football lose its fourth Champions League participant and drop to three competing clubs.

That will not happen this season or next, but losing two of the four Champions League participants before Christmas will not help the Premier League maintain its lead over Serie A and there is a genuine threat of the Bundesliga eclipsing the Premier League this season in order to climb to second, behind La Liga, in Uefa’s co-efficient table.

But with City unveiling their new £200m training facility this week, there is also the sense that Champions League success – reaching the quarter-finals this season would be regarded a success by the club’s owners – would give the club a timely boost.

City’s under-achievement in the Champions League has been one of the mysteries of Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan’s six-year reign as owner and one which cannot simply be explained away on the basis of the competition providing a steep learning curve for clubs such as City.

Paris Saint-Germain, whose return to prominence has been funded by Qatari owners, have enjoyed swift progress in the Champions League in comparison to City, despite starting much later than their Mancunian counterparts.

A second successive appearance in the knock-out stages would dispel suggestions that City have become the sick man of Europe and lay the foundations for greater success.

It would also enable City to appeal to the world’s top stars as a club that can win the biggest prize of them all and, while that may not be encouraged by rival supporters, it would enhance the Premier League to have the world’s best players performing in England.

Failure in the Champions League may dent the Premier League’s brand and lessen its appeal to the game’s top players.

If players can earn incredible money at Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, PSG or City, the Premier League champions may find themselves fourth on the list if they continue to under-perform in the Champions League.

That would hurt City, but it would also hurt Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool because the league itself would be regarded as a less attractive destination if only Spanish or German clubs showed real signs of winning in Europe.

So when they take on Roma tonight, there will be more at stake than merely Manchester City’s European reputation

kippaxblue76 said:
Why English football needs Manchester City to reach Champions League last 16

Failure at Europe's highest level may dent the Premier League’s brand and lessen its appeal to the game’s top players

Why English football needs Man City to reach Champions League last 16 after Liverpool exit

Let's hear your support: Neutrals should get behind City in Rome to protect Premier League's worldwide brand and appeal Photo: PA

By Mark Ogden
As champions of England, and with their Champions League hopes on the line in Rome tonight, Manchester City deserve the backing of the nation when they face AS Roma in the Stadio Olimpico aiming to secure the result to take the club into the knock-out stages.

Forget the partisan allegiances of rival supporters or the mentality that City will only have themselves to blame if they fail to qualify as runners-up behind Bayern Munich.

For one night only, City should be the country’s team because losing two Premier League clubs from the Champions League in the space of 24 hours would suit nobody connected to English football.

Liverpool’s group stage elimination, confirmed by FC Basel’s 1-1 draw at Anfield, has already accounted for England’s five-time European champions, who must now brush themselves down and prepare for the twilight zone of Thursday’s nights in the Europa League in the new year.

City following Liverpool out of the Champions League would simply be bad for business for the Premier League and a sign that English football is losing touch with La Liga and the Bundesliga when it comes to competing for the major European honours.

More worryingly, certainly in the medium to long-term, is the prospect of the Premier League being overtaken by Serie A in Uefa’s country co-efficient table – a development which would see English football lose its fourth Champions League participant and drop to three competing clubs.

That will not happen this season or next, but losing two of the four Champions League participants before Christmas will not help the Premier League maintain its lead over Serie A and there is a genuine threat of the Bundesliga eclipsing the Premier League this season in order to climb to second, behind La Liga, in Uefa’s co-efficient table.

But with City unveiling their new £200m training facility this week, there is also the sense that Champions League success – reaching the quarter-finals this season would be regarded a success by the club’s owners – would give the club a timely boost.

City’s under-achievement in the Champions League has been one of the mysteries of Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan’s six-year reign as owner and one which cannot simply be explained away on the basis of the competition providing a steep learning curve for clubs such as City.

Paris Saint-Germain, whose return to prominence has been funded by Qatari owners, have enjoyed swift progress in the Champions League in comparison to City, despite starting much later than their Mancunian counterparts.

A second successive appearance in the knock-out stages would dispel suggestions that City have become the sick man of Europe and lay the foundations for greater success.

It would also enable City to appeal to the world’s top stars as a club that can win the biggest prize of them all and, while that may not be encouraged by rival supporters, it would enhance the Premier League to have the world’s best players performing in England.

Failure in the Champions League may dent the Premier League’s brand and lessen its appeal to the game’s top players.

If players can earn incredible money at Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, PSG or City, the Premier League champions may find themselves fourth on the list if they continue to under-perform in the Champions League.

That would hurt City, but it would also hurt Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool because the league itself would be regarded as a less attractive destination if only Spanish or German clubs showed real signs of winning in Europe.

So when they take on Roma tonight, there will be more at stake than merely Manchester City’s European reputation
So here we go, so if we don't qualify today, City will be blamed for damaging Premier League's brand.

sam-caddick said:

Even if he doesn't score I want him leading the line, dominating Roma's central defenders, and holding up the ball for the midfield runners to get on to a pass.

Come on Edin.

I hope he doesn't start,we are more fluent without him imo.

FantasyIreland said:
sam-caddick said:

Come on Edin.

I hope he doesn't start,we are more fluent without him imo.

I can't see Jovetic leading the line as a false 9 although I would like to see it because it will help our midfield out.

Pellegrini could surprise us and go 4-4-2, Dzeko and Jovetic up top.

I was full of confidence before today but now I'm absolutely shitting it. Roma are strong and Totti is legendary. I pray we can pull this one off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.