Romeo Lavia

The academy will continue to produce fantastic young players at pace, so I expect there is a very high chance more than one player in the not too distant future will leave and go on to reach elite levels elsewhere….

Fans always have a soft spot for academy lads, but if we listened to fans, the current team would be made up of Jason Denayer, Brahim Diaz, Ferran Torres, Jadon Sancho, Angelino, Garcia, Porro, Muric, Roberts, etc. While some of them have had decent careers since leaving us, I'd argue that not a single one would get into our matchday squad.
This is spot on , to get into our team you have to be world class or not far from it

The players above are good premier league level players for mid table sides and nothing more

We had two years to look at this kid and we let him go, I would imagine because they didn’t think he’d get to the level we require

I would back our staffs opinion versus someone who has probably watched a handful of his games at Southampton and considered him the next big thing

Ahead of Kalvin Phillips? I agree.

Ahead of Kovacic? Based on what exactly?

Kovacic was playing in the champions league last season, he's a regular Croatia international that plays almost every game for them and he's won a European cup.

What has Lavia done in his career to merit being a starter above Kovacic? Playing just ONE season of premier league football for bottom of the league? Is he a regular Belgian international? No he isn't.

I want whatever you're smoking, pal.
Ive already asked for what hes smoking get to the back of the que

Klopp thinks he is good enough for them Arteta thinks he is good enough for them
Ten Peg thinks he will be hood enough for them
Chelsea probably were in mix

But he becomes Raw for City?

You can dislike that ugly teeth dipper bit you say he can't be good for City when he can sign for anyone in top 6?
Newsflash, there are several reasons why we are the dominant side in Europe at this time and none bigger than because we DOMINATE the midfield in every way possible. One can perhaps be good enough for any of the teams you've mentioned and still be miles off being good enough for City. In fact, I'll go so far as to say maybe one midfielder (Odegaard) on any of those squads gets in over KDB, Bernardo, and Rodri so your analogy doesn't fly. Not Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Thiago, Enzo, Xhaka, Partey, Jorginho, Bruno, Eriksen, Mount or Casemiro. Maybe Rice. Lavia is too raw for City at the moment.

Ha! Maybe - but let's face it, he's playing a different game of football at Southampton.

Southampton make just over half as many passes as City, while Rodri spends much of his time behind the ball, with the opponents sitting off in a low block, so of course he's going to have more chances to pass forward. Rodri makes nearly 3 times as many passes per game as Lavia, so when you're comparing quantities (which is what most of those stats that were shared do), he's going to be 2-3 times ahead.

James Ward-Prowse makes the most passes for Southampton, and he'd only sneak in at number 10 in City players passes per 90 minutes.

So, yes - "advanced metrics", but stick a player into midfield in City's team and they're going to spend a hell of a lot more time on the ball, and make more passes. They'd struggle not to.
Of course, but would any player be able to make the passes that lead to goals. Would they put a few into the net themselves? You're not necessarily "sticking" anyone into the team. City's midfield IS what makes the team what it is.

Of course, but would any player be able to make the passes that lead to goals. Would they put a few into the net themselves? You're not necessarily "sticking" anyone into the team. City's midfield IS what makes the team what it is.
Sure - but the suggestion was that it would be impossible to get anywhere near Rodri's "metrics" as they were often two to three times as high.

I agree, it's partly to do with the individuals being better, but it's mainly about the whole team. Rodri's stats would fall through the floor in that Southampton team.

In that graphic, take Progressive Carries for example, Rodri is in the 81st percentile, Lavia in the 28th. Rodri made 3 times as many progressive carries per 90 mins as Lavia last season.

Do you know which player had even less Progressive Carries per 90 minutes than Lavia at Southampton?

Rodri at Atletico Madrid, the year before he came to City.

As I said in my first reply, I don't think Lavia is so good we need to take him back. I'm just saying that the stat comparison is almost pointless, because he's playing a different role, for a much poorer team.

The academy will continue to produce fantastic young players at pace, so I expect there is a very high chance more than one player in the not too distant future will leave and go on to reach elite levels elsewhere
I'd prefer more to stay and reach elite level.

Lavia would be ahead of both Phillips and Kovacic in the pecking order if he was here. He was fantastic at Southampton last year and will solve a massive part of Liverpool's weakness, which is their midfield.

I find it so weird that the club went as high as £90m on Rice but won't buy Lavia back. For me he's more talented than Rice and has already been in and around the setup.
Absolute rubbish. Lavia played in a team that got relegated, and finished bottom of the league.

If Kalvin Phillips had played alongside JWP, you could argue that they'd have stayed up.

Lavia is a talented lad of course, but you can't say he's a better player than Kalvin Phillips or Kovacic. He's achieved nothing in the game, and at this stage it's all potential. Kovacic is a Champions League Winner.

Lavia is a talented lad of course, but you can't say he's a better player than Kalvin Phillips or Kovacic. He's achieved nothing in the game, and at this stage it's all potential. Kovacic is a Champions League Winner
While not disagreeing with you Kovacic has played a total of SEVEN minutes over 4 champions league finals. That was coming on as a sub for Chelsea against us.
Scott Carson is our most decorated Champions league winner.
I'm not sure how Lavia compare to Philipps or Kovacic but trotting out medal triumphs isn't a proper comparison.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.