Ross Barkley

stony said:
blue city199 said:
Ross Barkley to Manchester City: Manuel Pellegrini may pay £50m for Everton midfielder to boost English quota
IAN HERBERT

Manchester City are prepared to go back to Everton for Ross Barkley next summer and they may be willing to meet his £50m price tag because their supply line of young English players is still three years away from first-team standard.

The importance to City of 36-year-old Frank Lampard, one of only four England-developed players the club are realistically able to field, underlines the struggle they face as they wait for their academy work to bear fruit.

The pursuit of Barkley could establish a pattern of buying English players as City seek to ensure to renew their squad incrementally and avoid the kind of mass overhaul that Manchester United have needed. Yaya Touré will be 32 at the end of this season and City are not expecting to have developed his successor from within, despite intense investment which will include the academy being relocated to a state-of-the-art Etihad Campus neighbouring their stadium in three weeks.

City’s detailed scouting work on Barkley, leads them to value him at £20m, though the premium on English players meant they increased their offer to Everton to £30m in the summer.

The Goodison Park club refused to budge from £50m so City reluctantly walked away, though City’s £9m net spend this summer meant that they could have purchased the 20-year-old for £40m and still have fallen within the £49m spending restrictions imposed on them by Uefa for breaching Financial Fair Play rules. City could spend that £40m in January if their manager, Manuel Pellegrini, and director of football, Txiki Begiristain, feel that there is a major weakness in the squad. They are confident that their decision to enter the season with only three strikers was prudent, with Pellegrini’s habit of playing a loan striker in many games leading the club to conclude that four may be one too many.

City have only one home-grown player in their Champions league squad – Dedryck Boyata, and he is a Belgian – but are determined to learn from the mistake they made in 2010 and 2012 when they launched into the market with the express aim of buying English players without fully assessing whether they were good enough. Jack Rodwell, Scott Sinclair and Adam Johnson have all subsequently been sold on.

Barkley is of title-winning calibre, which is likely to push City into more purposeful negotiations with Everton than this summer, when the approach was more speculative. Barkley is six weeks away from a return to fitness from knee ligament damage.

The City hierarchy, who are understood to feel that Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho’s mockery of Pellegrini on Sunday night validates their reasons not to hire him, remain confident that they will be able to tie James Milner and Joe Hart to the club with new contracts.

There is no desire to let either go, though Milner’s willingness to sign the four-year deal City are offering will depend on whether he feels he can command enough starts for the club. This is more important to him than the money on offer, though his display against Chelsea will help him cement a starting place. Hart and Milner are both in the last year of their contracts.

City’s Abu Dhabi owners accept that developing home-grown players takes years. The Spaniard installed by the club to head their academy, former Liverpool academy head coach Rodolfo Borrell, has told the board that there are a number of real jewels, some of whom will become available to the first team in two to three years.

The former Barcelona executives Ferran Soriano and Begiristain feel that it is the quality of coaching, rather than a lack of talent, which has been England’s problem. The frustration for leading clubs is that there is no adequately competitive level of football from which the elite development squad players can spring into Premier League level.

The Premier League reserve division is not competitive enough and hopes are fading among those at the top of the game about FA chairman Greg Dyke’s proposal that top sides’ B-teams should play in the professional pyramid.

Loan deals to enlightened European clubs are the only way to prepare young talent for the Premier League. City are in Lille virtually every week to keep an eye on the development of their academy player Marcos “Rony” Lopes, who was described by the French club’s director of youth academy last week as a better prospect than Eden Hazard.

The Everton manager, Roberto Martinez, indicated last week that Barkley would undergo another scan on his knee this week. “Maybe he will be back a bit quicker than expected as long as the scan and everything goes well,” he said. “I think realistically we are talking between four and six weeks.”

Profesional journalist my arse.
Professional cockroach.

"The City hierarchy, who are understood to feel that Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho’s mockery of Pellegrini on Sunday night validates their reasons not to hire him,"

Haha, why is that bit there? Is the journalist briefed by the "city hierarchy" then? Then... this story actually has some hold? Why break it now when he's injured?

Read a fair bit of this thread from past few days. Lots of people mentioning Barkley and Sterling in same breath. Sterling is already world class. Barkley has the potential to become world class.

Also, Sterling > Reus. He's 6 years younger and in terms of premier league, Sterling has been smashing it up pretty consistently for over a year now. Recently their form has been poor but he still stands out and he's not had Sturridge / Suarez round him. Put him in our team around Silva & Aguero and this kid could become one of the elite players in the world.

I don't know if it's as impossible as people think. Currently he earns 30k a week. He will probably get a new deal soon, but even if he does, if they miss out on champs league this year then they won't get back in any time soon as us Chelsea and Arsenal way ahead of them and the rags will spunk another £150m-£200m again in next few windows. I think if they can't offer him CL next season/ season after then the lad will want out an they'll be forced to sell. Will be a lot of competition and it will take a lot of money but I think if we are going to try and get one world superstar for now and the next generation then Sterling should be it.

Barkley has potential but £30m-£35m tops IMO, not yet done enough consistently to warrant more than that and already had a few serious injuries.

as soon as you pay Barkley or Sterling 80-100k a week i assure you, the world class talent you bought will turn into dog shit

young men earning that money are not responsible..regardless of upbringing..money turns you into a ****.............loads of money turns you into an uber ****

fucking shit loads of money basically makes you a hero in the clubs, with hangers on..women..drugs, sex..parties more sex..more drugs and a ****
with the said player out for 4 months with a "hamstring"(rehab) problem

mark my words, you need to pay these kids fuck all till they are 25 i mean 30k a year or summat

pantalon violet again said:
as soon as you pay Barkley or Sterling 80-100k a week i assure you, the world class talent you bought will turn into dog shit

young men earning that money are not responsible..regardless of upbringing..money turns you into a c**t.............loads of money turns you into an uber c**t

fucking shit loads of money basically makes you a hero in the clubs, with hangers on..women..drugs, sex..parties more sex..more drugs and a c**t

mark my words, you need to pay these kids fuck all till they are 25 i mean 30k a year or summat

I agree mate,but as we all know,that's not how football works anymore......25-30k a week at a top club is a wank wage these days.

SPIDERBOY said:

young men earning that money are not responsible..regardless of upbringing..money turns you into a c**t.............loads of money turns you into an uber c**t

fucking shit loads of money basically makes you a hero in the clubs, with hangers on..women..drugs, sex..parties more sex..more drugs and a c**t

I agree mate,but as we all know,that's not how football works anymore......25-30k a week at a top club is a wank wage these days.

im talking a year not a week, get yourself established, then boom 25th birthday,your "trust fund" is released and your an instant millionaire..more responsible and in the first team

I can see what you're saying but 30k or 50k a week will attract the same problems, also the problem only seems to apply to English players,

SPIDERBOY said:

im talking a year not a week, get yourself established, then boom 25th birthday,your "trust fund" is released and your an instant millionaire..more responsible and in the first team

I know you meant a year and I agree like I said,I think your spot on......was just saying by today's standard of wage,30k a week ain't much for an established 1st team player and international.

blueparrot said:

I can see what you're saying but 30k or 50k a week will attract the same problems, also the problem only seems to apply to English players,

i said a year

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.