Ross Barkley

cleavers said:
supercrystal7 said:
No we did. Beckham, Rooney, Owen, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole were all world class and their success at club level indicates this.
OK, yet at international level they did f**k all. English media hype is what they were, all decent players, but none were truly world class, and when asked to play on the world stage, they fell short.
Well depends on what you mean by world class. I would not say any of them were ever in the top 5 players in the world, but Cole would make world 11's and Terry/Ferdinand had a shot too.

However, if failure at international is your criteria for saying a player is not world class then do you feel the same about Ronaldo, Messi, Aguero etc? If not then why does this only apply to English players?

However, of course we do overate our players. They generally are no where near as good as the media make out, but that does not mean they are not great.

The thing with Barkley is that you can get him. I don't think you can get Pogba and it will be difficult to even get Koke. So if not Barkley you are going to need good scouts to identify Yaya's replacement, because it's not going to be easy. United with all their money never replaced Keane. Arsenal with less money could not replace Vieira.

supercrystal7 said:
cleavers said:
supercrystal7 said:
No we did. Beckham, Rooney, Owen, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole were all world class and their success at club level indicates this.
OK, yet at international level they did f**k all. English media hype is what they were, all decent players, but none were truly world class, and when asked to play on the world stage, they fell short.
Well depends on what you mean by world class. I would not say any of them were ever in the top 5 players in the world, but Cole would make world 11's and Terry/Ferdinand had a shot too.

However, if failure at international is your criteria for saying a player is not world class then do you feel the same about Ronaldo, Messi, Aguero etc? If not then why does this only apply to English players?
Firstly, you believe the British media claiming these players are world class, I don't.

Ferdinand, Owen, Campbell, Scholes, Cole, world class, seriously ? Beckham was OK, but world class ? really ?

Ronaldo is one man in team that is very average, not sure how he can do it alone for his country, but yes he's world class, Bale plays for Wales does that prevent him being world class ?

Messi is without doubt world class, Aguero is close, but his regular injuries hamper him imho.

If England had 9 world class players, all at the same time, we'd have won a world cup, or at least a european champions, yet we barely scraped through the groups, and sometimes struggled to qualify at all.

You carry on reading the newspapers, I'll carry on watching football and making my own mind up.

Back on topic, Barkley has a long way to go yet.

Ray78 said:
supercrystal7 said:
Ray78 said:
I don't quite get the hype.
He has potential and is English. Plus he has come along when we are not blessed with world class players like 10 years ago where we had a lot. He has the potential to become world class, has the huge marketing potential because of his nationality and is homegrown.

The key word is fulfilling that potential. I have my doubts that he will reach those kind of levels.

Well he's not going to at Everton. He needs to be around a better class of player in training everyday, he needs to learn from them and see the hard work required to make it at a team full of top class players. A move to City would sky rocket his progression in my opinion because he isn't going to walk into our team like he currently does at Everton he is going to have to work his bollocks off everyday to get in and stay in the team.

cleavers said:
supercrystal7 said:
cleavers said:

Firstly, you believe the British media claiming these players are world class, I don't.

Ferdinand, Owen, Campbell, Scholes, Cole, world class, seriously ? Beckham was OK, but world class ? really ?

Ronaldo is one man in team that is very average, not sure how he can do it alone for his country, but yes he's world class, Bale plays for Wales does that prevent him being world class ?

Messi is without doubt world class, Aguero is close, but his regular injuries hamper him imho.

If England had 9 world class players, all at the same time, we'd have won a world cup, or at least a european champions, yet we barely scraped through the groups, and sometimes struggled to qualify at all.

You carry on reading the newspapers, I'll carry on watching football and making my own mind up.

Back on topic, Barkley has a long way to go yet.

All of them were at one point.

RandomJ said:
Ray78 said:
supercrystal7 said:
He has potential and is English. Plus he has come along when we are not blessed with world class players like 10 years ago where we had a lot. He has the potential to become world class, has the huge marketing potential because of his nationality and is homegrown.

The key word is fulfilling that potential. I have my doubts that he will reach those kind of levels.

Well he's not going to at Everton. He needs to be around a better class of player in training everyday, he needs to learn from them and see the hard work required to make it at a team full of top class players. A move to City would sky rocket his progression in my opinion because he isn't going to walk into our team like he currently does at Everton he is going to have to work his bollocks off everyday to get in and stay in the team.

He seems to be another overhyped kid who will lose his way once he joins us.

Talented.....but not enough imo.......and just because he happens to probably be the best current English talent in his position doesn't automatically qualify him of being of the standard we require,in fact,its probably the only reason he is even a consideration.

I'm convinced we can find far better out there,on the continent,so,if its the HG factor we are looking to satisfy.......i'd be looking elsewhere but probably still on Merseyside.

FantasyIreland said:
Talented.....but not enough imo.......and just because he happens to probably be the best current English talent in his position doesn't automatically qualify him of being of the standard we require,in fact,its probably the only reason he is even a consideration.

I'm convinced we can find far better out there,on the continent,so,if its the HG factor we are looking to satisfy.......i'd be looking elsewhere but probably still on Merseyside.

Or in Beswick, just over that bridge..

FantasyIreland said:

Agreed - on all points

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.