Ross Barkley

callumcity said:
Kun Aguero said:
cleavers said:
Firstly, you believe the British media claiming these players are world class, I don't.

Ferdinand, Owen, Campbell, Scholes, Cole, world class, seriously ? Beckham was OK, but world class ? really ?

Ronaldo is one man in team that is very average, not sure how he can do it alone for his country, but yes he's world class, Bale plays for Wales does that prevent him being world class ?

Messi is without doubt world class, Aguero is close, but his regular injuries hamper him imho.

If England had 9 world class players, all at the same time, we'd have won a world cup, or at least a european champions, yet we barely scraped through the groups, and sometimes struggled to qualify at all.

You carry on reading the newspapers, I'll carry on watching football and making my own mind up.

Back on topic, Barkley has a long way to go yet.

All of them were at one point.

Ferdinand was never world class. Cole and Scholes definitely were and there's a case for Sol. Not sure about Owen, wasn't at the top long enough to judge.

Only world class English players in the last 15 years or so has been Terry, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole and Rooney. Sterling and Barkley look our best hope in that department for the future.

Shearer was better than Rooney.

callumcity said:
Kun Aguero said:
cleavers said:
Firstly, you believe the British media claiming these players are world class, I don't.

Ferdinand, Owen, Campbell, Scholes, Cole, world class, seriously ? Beckham was OK, but world class ? really ?

Ronaldo is one man in team that is very average, not sure how he can do it alone for his country, but yes he's world class, Bale plays for Wales does that prevent him being world class ?

Messi is without doubt world class, Aguero is close, but his regular injuries hamper him imho.

If England had 9 world class players, all at the same time, we'd have won a world cup, or at least a european champions, yet we barely scraped through the groups, and sometimes struggled to qualify at all.

You carry on reading the newspapers, I'll carry on watching football and making my own mind up.

Ferdinand was never world class. Cole and Scholes definitely were and there's a case for Sol. Not sure about Owen, wasn't at the top long enough to judge.

Only world class English players in the last 15 years or so has been Terry, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole and Rooney. Sterling and Barkley look our best hope in that department for the future.

Now I really do understand the hatred people have for Ferdinand, I really do. But that aside, in his prime he was fucking excellent. He also got into the FIFPro Team of the Year in his prime, won the CL, won countless domestic trophies. In his prime, he reached world class status.

The same can be said for Owen (Ballon D'or winner). Even Beckham was a Ballon D'or runner up.

Infact out of all the names mentioned, only Sol fell short IMO. And I liked him as a player.

You don't have to win 3 or 4 Ballon D'or's to be labelled world class. You dont have to win the world cup to be labelled world class. You just have to prove at some point in your career you were one of the best players in the world in your position. Shearer, Beckham, Cole, Ferdinand, Scholes, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney have all done that.

The difference between those names and the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho is consistency. The latter list have proven themselves over longer periods. Some have led their teams to world cup triumphs. Some have won countless Ballon D'ors.

The list of English players are on the level below them and that's why they wont be classed as legends of the game. It certainly doesn't mean they never reached world clas status at some point in their careers'.

Latics Fan SJK said:
callumcity said:
Kun Aguero said:

Now I really do understand the hatred people have for Ferdinand, I really do. But that aside, in his prime he was fucking excellent. He also got into the FIFPro Team of the Year in his prime, won the CL, won countless domestic trophies. In his prime, he reached world class status.

The same can be said for Owen (Ballon D'or winner). Even Beckham was a Ballon D'or runner up.

Infact out of all the names mentioned, only Sol fell short IMO. And I liked him as a player.

You don't have to win 3 or 4 Ballon D'or's to be labelled world class. You dont have to win the world cup to be labelled world class. You just have to prove at some point in your career you were one of the best players in the world in your position. Shearer, Beckham, Cole, Ferdinand, Scholes, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney have all done that.

The difference between those names and the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho is consistency. The latter list have proven themselves over longer periods. Some have led their teams to world cup triumphs. Some have won countless Ballon D'ors.

The list of English players are on the level below them and that's why they wont be classed as legends of the game. It certainly doesn't mean they never reached world clas status at some point in their careers'.

I have to agree with you as much as I hate the plug faced twat...He was a very good defender in his time

callumcity said:
Kun Aguero said:
cleavers said:

Ferdinand shits all over Terry, a Wio in his prime is better than Kompany is when fit.

World class players however have World Cup medals,(even including runners up) none on that list have one of them at home,and were never likely too neither,fucking over rated and over paid twats,Lampard aside lol

Kun Aguero said:
callumcity said:
Kun Aguero said:

Ferdinand shits all over Terry, a Wio in his prime is better than Kompany is when fit.

I wouldn't go that far...but definitely comparable...I think Vidic in his prime was better than both of them if I take my blue tinted specs off

IanBishopsHaircut said:
Kun Aguero said:
callumcity said:

I wouldn't go that far...but definitely comparable...I think Vidic in his prime was better than both of them if I take my blue tinted specs off

Nah Rio was better than Vidic but they complimented each other perfectly.

meeesh said:
World class players however have World Cup medals,(even including runners up) none on that list have one of them at home,and were never likely too neither,fucking over rated and over paid twats,Lampard aside lol
Gazza and Shearer were comfortably world class and won two trophies in a decet leage between them (one FA Cup and one Prem title). It's not all about winning or contending World Cup finals.

Eusebio never got that far in an international comp. Di Stefano (won one Copa America with Arg), Raul, Shevcenko, van Basten (won one Euros), Zico, Colin Bell, George Best, Dalhleish never did.

This has gone way of topic, Ross Barkley and World Class should not be in the same thread.

He is a player with great potential but there has been lots of them over the years and most turn out to be decent Premier League level but more drift downwards than actually kick on to play for top clubs and win things, you only have to look at Evertons recent production line, Franny Jeffers / Wayne Rooney / Jack Rodwell, all tipped for England greatness. I would not be in favour of a move for Barkley much rather a EDS kid get the small number of chances there are to get into our midfield.

IanBishopsHaircut said:
Latics Fan SJK said:
callumcity said:

I have to agree with you as much as I hate the plug faced twat...He was a very good defender in his time

You'd also assess all of those players completely differently had they impressed on the International stage. The reason they didn't was largely because of managerial inflexibility. We played Scholes on the left of midfield... the same player who is regarded as one of the best by the likes of Zidane... We moaned consistantly about having a left footed left midfielder and bemoaned Giggs being Welsh... now you'd play a right footer that side to cut inside. We had the players but not the tactics. It was a case of fit these cracking players into a 4-4-2.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.