Ross Barkley

mad zab said:
bluechampion7891 said:
mad zab said:
The only difference you have to be at the club for two years to be on the CL B list if your under 21. Which he is anyway.

My view on Barkley is that he can become a very good defensive midfielder. He has strength, pace and mobility with good passing skills. He plays the box to box or attacking for Everton, but with our quality up front, I think he would be better in a deeper position for us.

Would pay circa 24m for him.

yes. I can see him as a box to box attacking midfielder, someone who can drive from midfield or carry the ball upfield. A similar role to Matuidi in PSG or somewhat like what fernandinho did at shakhtar or what di maria did at madrid in his last season.

but I still wonder over the wisdom of this signing. he cannot replace Yaya and he certainly is not good enough to start for a side chasing the PL title. It also puts into question the rest of the summer signings for midfield. If Yaya stays he needs both attacking and defensive support in midfield as I cannot see him surviving for long in a 2 man midfield. so will we sign another box to box in addition to Barkley? then whats the point of barkley since presumable the new box to box player will already be better than him and Barkley surely cannot be seen as a future successor to Yaya in controlling the midfield. If Yaya moves on then we need someone who can control the game - Barkley certainly cant and I dont think he ever will (case in point - look at Verrati only 1 year older and bossing champions league games). So we sign a new creative central midfielder and pair him with Barkley? an unproven player paired with a new player in a new league - think it would weaken us

So If we are getting him i really really hope he surprises me and proves me wrong in the best possible manner

Well I believe the raw ingredients are there to make him a very good player. I would be very hopeful that playing and most importantly training with better players will improve his abilities even more.

I can actually see him develop in to a proper holding midfielder rather than a box to box one.

what do you mean by holding midfielder? an anchorman (Busquests or Fernando (at porto)? or a role in a double pivot (like Matic)? my understanding of the term holding midfielder is the latter but IMO he wont be a holding midfielder. he may adapt to be able to play in a two, but it will be in an attacking role

mad zab said:
bluechampion7891 said:
richards30 said:
One good point is that he's not been a starter for everton anyway so cant get frustrated with a squad role to start with. For the record i think he'll be a great signing, just hope its one of 3 for midfield!!! Tolm seems to insinuate french so a real hope its pogba he's talking about!

both pogba and barkley dont make sense. neither is a playermaker or controller type so having two box to box midfielders doesnt make sense. Schniderlin will make more sense (or Kondogbia) as a DM in a midfield 3

The two midfielders I would buy would be Koke and Schneiderlin.

But I get the feeling Schneiderlin could be on his way to Arsenal.

alongside Yaya those two would be great. I still think Pogba's superior physical attributes could be a game changer but then his cost alongside that fact that he plays in a poorer league put question marks

if we were to play a midfield two though than I'd get gundogan and schniderlin instead of koke and schniderlin. IMO gundogan is much closer to Yaya in terms of controlling games.

In any case, all those names are better than barkley

Manc in London said:
Some of the criticism is a tad harsh. He only turned 21 in December. He has plenty of talent. He just needs to be a bit smarter. If he is as dedicated as others believe, he is destined to be good player. How good? Who knows?

It's the price that's worrying me. Everton will want more than double his worth and if we pay it we're mugs.

bluechampion7891 said:
mad zab said:
bluechampion7891 said:
yes. I can see him as a box to box attacking midfielder, someone who can drive from midfield or carry the ball upfield. A similar role to Matuidi in PSG or somewhat like what fernandinho did at shakhtar or what di maria did at madrid in his last season.

but I still wonder over the wisdom of this signing. he cannot replace Yaya and he certainly is not good enough to start for a side chasing the PL title. It also puts into question the rest of the summer signings for midfield. If Yaya stays he needs both attacking and defensive support in midfield as I cannot see him surviving for long in a 2 man midfield. so will we sign another box to box in addition to Barkley? then whats the point of barkley since presumable the new box to box player will already be better than him and Barkley surely cannot be seen as a future successor to Yaya in controlling the midfield. If Yaya moves on then we need someone who can control the game - Barkley certainly cant and I dont think he ever will (case in point - look at Verrati only 1 year older and bossing champions league games). So we sign a new creative central midfielder and pair him with Barkley? an unproven player paired with a new player in a new league - think it would weaken us

So If we are getting him i really really hope he surprises me and proves me wrong in the best possible manner

Well I believe the raw ingredients are there to make him a very good player. I would be very hopeful that playing and most importantly training with better players will improve his abilities even more.

I can actually see him develop in to a proper holding midfielder rather than a box to box one.

what do you mean by holding midfielder? an anchorman (Busquests or Fernando (at porto)? or a role in a double pivot (like Matic)? my understanding of the term holding midfielder is the latter but IMO he wont be a holding midfielder. he may adapt to be able to play in a two, but it will be in an attacking role

More like Busquets. That doesn't mean he won't move forward as Busquets still does that, it all depends on who you are playing. I can see Barkley becoming a better player playing deeper.

bluechampion7891 said:
mad zab said:
bluechampion7891 said:
both pogba and barkley dont make sense. neither is a playermaker or controller type so having two box to box midfielders doesnt make sense. Schniderlin will make more sense (or Kondogbia) as a DM in a midfield 3

The two midfielders I would buy would be Koke and Schneiderlin.

But I get the feeling Schneiderlin could be on his way to Arsenal.

alongside Yaya those two would be great. I still think Pogba's superior physical attributes could be a game changer but then his cost alongside that fact that he plays in a poorer league put question marks

if we were to play a midfield two though than I'd get gundogan and schniderlin instead of koke and schniderlin. IMO gundogan is much closer to Yaya in terms of controlling games.

In any case, all those names are better than barkley

For me Koke is better than Pogba and Gundogan. I guess it's all about opinions though.

Yes they are all better than Barkley at the moment. That doesn't mean that he can't become as good as them with the right development.

BigOscar said:
Not a fan at all, I still don't get how any of the amounts being attributed to his value are in any way representative of how he plays. Not a position that needs strengthening, not a great player, injury prone and hideously overpriced. I really don't know why we're anywhere near this. If we spend big money on him instead of on central midfielders or wingers, then I'd be very dissapointed.

Glad we're on the same page, good post.

Is Txiki watching Everton's game tonight or are they using "Ross Barkley | The Next Gazza | 2013/14 HD" on YouTube as their scouting source? His best contribution has been one decent run that finished with a blocked shot. Otherwise, so quiet. McCarthy seems to do a lot more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.