Ross Barkley

tolmie's hairdoo said:
He has everything in his game to become a major star for us.

Barkley is a kid, and would be a tremendous asset. Give him a break, and City, for that matter.

We don't sign young players, we get slagged off.

We don't sign British talent, we get slagged off.

Some people really need to watch the game a little closer, rather than wanting the shiniest toy to brag about.

Tell me again, where's Gourcuff, where's Diego, where's Queresma, all names I have seen down the years on here.

He has been hung out to dry this season by a manager who stated he would become the greatest English player EVER. Think about that for a second.

Martinez has stuck him out on the wing, played him too quickly after injuries, playing in a team running on empty due to Europa League participation, coupled with a key injury to McCarthy and the continued downgrade of Barry.

If we think he is too expensive, we will walk away, as we have done with every other target.

He's a capable squad player right now who might just become a major star. Even the great Iniesta stated recently that Barkley is one of the few English players who could play at Barcelona.

We've forgotten what the transfer landscape looks like these days, having been forced to cut our cloth.

£20m doesn't buy elite, it buys you a certain tier of performer who can still hold their own - we need that.

I agree with some of the posts on here, £20m is a reasonable price if we include future add-ons.

I like it. Spot on

whicko said:
LoveCity said:
Thenumber1blue said:
Agree with all of that and i've seen lot worse names than that recommended on here.All of a sudden slag Barkley seems to have become to sheep thing on here !

Well I can only speak for myself and have focused on Barkley every time I've seen Everton this season after he has been linked so much with us. And in most games, he's done nothing. Absolutely nothing. So sorry, but I can't agree with "he has everything". Sterling is much closer to having everything and has more of an impact on games. Great young players shine at average teams, that's how they usually land their big move. But Barkley isn't shining at all. Someone posted a video of him looking good against Spurs, but there have been far more mediocre performances than ones like that. The other week he started against Leicester and was beyond poor, then subbed off by Martinez.

This reminds me a bit of Torres after he lost it. Barkley hasn't lost it (he has to find "it" first). But long after Torres stopped performing at his former heights, so many still pretended he was the same Torres and ignored the evidence of him not being the same. In Barkley's case, people are remembering the very few outstanding performances by him but not considering nearly every week he does nothing for Everton. An attacking midfielder should either score or create goals, it's a crucial position and its occupant needs to leave some sort of lasting impact on games. He has been doing neither. I'm not writing him off, he may become a good player in time but he is not worth the hype that is still attached to him and if we pay an amount for him that significantly impacts our overall transfer budget, the decision makers at City should be sectioned... imo.

Jordan Henderson is out of contract in 2016 and shows a lot more than Barkley. Not that I'd rush to sign him either but watch Henderson perform in the high tempo Liverpool performances, showing a sense of responsibility. If Barkley did this, I'd have no worries about signing him. And as mentioned, our own Rony Lopes is also doing it, standing out in a team that is quite clueless without him going forward.
Totally agree, Barkley has gone backwards and rather than being raped by Kenwright again we should be giving the likes of Lopes his chance otherwise what is the point of having an academy.

Raped? Wtf has rape got to do with it?

Not been overly impressed with Lopes really, but agree he should have been a feature of domestic cups

LoveCity said:
Thenumber1blue said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
He has everything in his game to become a major star for us.

Barkley is a kid, and would be a tremendous asset. Give him a break, and City, for that matter.

We don't sign young players, we get slagged off.

We don't sign British talent, we get slagged off.

Some people really need to watch the game a little closer, rather than wanting the shiniest toy to brag about.

Tell me again, where's Gourcuff, where's Diego, where's Queresma, all names I have seen down the years on here.

He has been hung out to dry this season by a manager who stated he would become the greatest English player EVER. Think about that for a second.

Martinez has stuck him out on the wing, played him too quickly after injuries, playing in a team running on empty due to Europa League participation, coupled with a key injury to McCarthy and the continued downgrade of Barry.

If we think he is too expensive, we will walk away, as we have done with every other target.

He's a capable squad player right now who might just become a major star. Even the great Iniesta stated recently that Barkley is one of the few English players who could play at Barcelona.

We've forgotten what the transfer landscape looks like these days, having been forced to cut our cloth.

£20m doesn't buy elite, it buys you a certain tier of performer who can still hold their own - we need that.

I agree with some of the posts on here, £20m is a reasonable price if we include future add-ons.
Agree with all of that and i've seen lot worse names than that recommended on here.All of a sudden slag Barkley seems to have become to sheep thing on here !

Well I can only speak for myself and have focused on Barkley every time I've seen Everton this season after he has been linked so much with us. And in most games, he's done nothing. Absolutely nothing. So sorry, but I can't agree with "he has everything". Sterling is much closer to having everything and has more of an impact on games. Great young players shine at average teams, that's how they usually land their big move. But Barkley isn't shining at all. Someone posted a video of him looking good against Spurs, but there have been far more mediocre performances than ones like that. The other week he started against Leicester and was beyond poor, then subbed off by Martinez.

This reminds me a bit of Torres after he lost it. Barkley hasn't lost it (he has to find "it" first). But long after Torres stopped performing at his former heights, so many still pretended he was the same Torres and ignored the evidence of him not being the same. In Barkley's case, people are remembering the very few outstanding performances by him but not considering nearly every week he does nothing for Everton. An attacking midfielder should either score or create goals, it's a crucial position and its occupant needs to leave some sort of lasting impact on games. He has been doing neither. I'm not writing him off, he may become a good player in time but he is not worth the hype that is still attached to him and if we pay an amount for him that significantly impacts our overall transfer budget, the decision makers at City should be sectioned... imo.

Jordan Henderson is out of contract in 2016 and shows a lot more than Barkley. Not that I'd rush to sign him either but watch Henderson perform in the high tempo Liverpool performances, showing a sense of responsibility. If Barkley did this, I'd have no worries about signing him. And as mentioned, our own Rony Lopes is also doing it, standing out in a team that is quite clueless without him going forward.

Very well put. I am struggling to add to that.

Barkley does nothing from what I have seen to justify this praise from some. Even last season it was somewhat sporadic the good form.

Even in a poor side you would hope the great next hope would show something...just a a little, but he has shown next to shite all this season and only a little last season in what was an excellent campaign for Everton.

And all I can recall is a stunning goal against us in the important 2-3 win at Goodison. I can also remember Lee fucking Cattermole having good games against us too; and you wouldn't fancy buying that fucker!!

He simple doesn't do it for me I am afraid. I know he has had serious injuries but he's had time to recover. I just don't see the positives that others see...not when he's likely to cost 3 rodwells.

Wretched Vengeance said:
LoveCity said:
Thenumber1blue said:

Barkley does nothing from what I have seen to justify this praise from some. Even last season it was somewhat sporadic the good form.

Even in a poor side you would hope the great next hope would show something...just a a little, but he has shown next to shite all this season and only a little last season in what was an excellent campaign for Everton.

And all I can recall is a stunning goal against us in the important 2-3 win at Goodison. I can also remember Lee fucking Cattermole having good games against us too; and you wouldn't fancy buying that fucker!!

He simple doesn't do it for me I am afraid. I know he has had serious injuries but he's had time to recover. I just don't see the positives that others see...not when he's likely to cost 3 rodwells.

He's simply overhyped - not without talent but shows it only very occasionally. For 15m/20m he might be worth a punt since he's young and HG but we should get a more consistent player if we're dropping 30m+ on them (probably more than that).

Wretched Vengeance said:
LoveCity said:
Thenumber1blue said:

He might well be worth a punt at 20 mill. However there has been nothing in the media speculation other than the asking price will be at least double the 20 mill mentioned by Tolm.

I think he might be worth 20 mill, although I don't like the appearance that he seems to have dropped his bundle this season. He also seems to be yet another injury prone player, so there are a lot of risk factors with him.

I hope City has the good sense to walk away if the price is any more than the 20 mill that Tolmie mentioned. My own view is that far more focus should be on finding a central midfielder who can tackle (sorry Fernando times up in my opinion) and who can cover for Yaya, if he is still here that is.

What on earth has Barkley done to warrant mentions of a potential world top ten player? I think he's alarmingly inconsistent. He'll do something outrageous like he did against us last year but then do nothing for 10 games. I take the point that he has been badly managed at times but if we are seriously considering signing him, we need to be very careful.

LoveCity said:

He's definitely had a poor season, however your criticisms of him and our interest in him go way overboard. There are countless examples of young players who have burst onto the scene in a breakout season, only to disappear the following season. There's no reason why Barkley can't follow a path like that, especially with the right coaching. The best example that springs to mind and the reason why I think writing a player off at 21 as being not good enough for City is counterintuitive, is Aaron Ramsey. Another one would be Gareth Bale.

You've totally lost me with the Torres analogy btw, makes no sense. Barkley's having a poor season but people not writing him off seems eminently more sensible than backing yourself into a corner where you leave absolutely no room for if he does actually develop into a world class player.

In terms of the transfer fee. I've always felt like this - if the club want him I don't care what he costs. Same applies to any player. If he's a success whatever we pay will be cheap and if he fails whatever we pay will be a waste. Just look at the way Fernando is currently getting raped on Bluemoon on a daily basis. Do people care that he cost 12 million? No do they fuck, because it's not working out so his transfer fee won't stop people calling him a flop.

Whilst I can't deny that Barkley hasn't been that great this season, people need to rememember how Everton have performed this season in general.
They have been awful and many of the senior players (which Everton have alot of) that a youngster like Barkley would look up to have been shocking themselves. I can't remember many 21 year olds carrying a team themselves, whilst all other around them weren't performing, not at this level anyway.

Last season we saw just What Barkley is capable of and by playing in a more talented team would allow him to express his talents more frequently.
I like that the club are looking to someone of this age and like I stated in a previous post, the biggest challenge is for our manager to use him correctly, both in a positional sense and from a game time point of view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.