Royalist or Republican

Makes no difference either way, someone has to be head of state. Having the job by succession and the pressure of continuation of tradition and historical comparison is probably better than someone else wanting the job for their own gain.

But why can't the prime minister do it? Who is Germany's?

Joachim Gauck (and lest you think I know everything, I had to look it up).

It's all about the separation of powers, if you invest too much power in the office of Prime Minister, you're risking dictatorship. The US system operates checks and balances by completely keeping apart the executive and the legislature.

Joachim Gauck (and lest you think I know everything, I had to look it up).

It's all about the separation of powers, if you invest too much power in the office of Prime Minister, you're risking dictatorship. The US system operates checks and balances by completely keeping apart the executive and the legislature.

I'm probably naive to believe a public appointed prime minister could manage both, and the public being the one's who have the power as they ultimately elect them. Much better than having some old German **** born into a life of privilege doing it for us.

I'm probably naive to believe a public appointed prime minister could manage both, and the public being the one's who have the power as they ultimately elect them. Much better than having some old German **** born into a life of privilege doing it for us.

You could only do it if the Prime Minister wasn't a member of Parliament - otherwise who signs off what Parliament does? That's why it needs to be a separate office. Doesn't mean you couldn't downgrade it dramatically, such as you have in Ireland, or indeed Germany.

You could only do it if the Prime Minister wasn't a member of Parliament - otherwise who signs off what Parliament does? That's why it needs to be a separate office. Doesn't mean you couldn't downgrade it dramatically, such as you have in Ireland, or indeed Germany.

Should downgrade it and who ever wins xfactor does it for the year haha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.