RSC out (of the club - not a new injury)

Re: RSC out

Immaculate Pasta said:
mammutly said:
"Holding the ball up". People are always going on about this. If a team plays plays passing football out of defence, what use is it?

Stoke need someone to hold the ball up. Blackburn need someone to hold the ball up.

But are there any successful sides who depend upon a big man 'holding the ball up'?

Chelsea, Barca, probably two of the three best teams in the world at the minute.

Having a big, skilful forward player is an great asset. But neither of those teams play a long ball game with the hope that someone can 'hold the ball up'. The great forwards, like Anelka, try to score goals when they receive long passes. They can control and turn. Their game is not about holding the ball until team mayes get forward. I think the whole idea of "holding the ball up" has very little place in top flight football.

mammutly said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
Chelsea, Barca, probably two of the three best teams in the world at the minute.

Having a big, skilful forward player is an great asset. But neither of those teams play a long ball game with the hope that someone can 'hold the ball up'. The great forwards, like Anelka, try to score goals when they receive long passes. They can control and turn. Their game is not about holding the ball until team mayes get forward. I think the whole idea of "holding the ball up" has very little place in top flight football.

Holding the ball up doesn't mean just playing long balls, holding it up to feet and bringing others into play is what holding the ball up means. It is vitally important that teams hold it up otherwise no one would ever get anywhere. Rooney, Torres, Ibrahimovich, Drogba all hold the ball up and bring others into play.

mammutly said:
Immaculate Pasta said:

When you have as much creativity as our midfield (close to zero) a front player who can hold the ball is an asset, I only wish we had one we could rely on.

sweep said:
mammutly said:
When you have as much creativity as our midfield (close to zero) a front player who can hold the ball is an asset, I only wish we had one we could rely on.

nail on head

zero creativity in midfield.....3 defensive midfielders all passing amongst them selves and the forwards living off scraps

it has to change....

mammutly said:
Immaculate Pasta said:

The notion of having a striker is?
To score if given a decent opportunity. Right?
So we not only have holding midfielders but also holding forwards?

The tactics of going out with three defensive midfielders trying to play triangles from just in front of the defence on that quagmire of a pitch was wrong. Playing counter attack football on a perfect pitch against a team like Chelsea obviously works. But to try to use those tactics today or against the likes of Stoke is shite and when the penny finally dropped today and he went 4-4-2 with RSC as an outlet we started playing . I personally don't think RSC is the perminant answer and he has too many injuries. However, he was miles more effective today than some of our so called superstars who kept running up blind alleys and created fuck all in the first half.

simon23 said:
sweep said:

nail on head

zero creativity in midfield.....3 defensive midfielders all passing amongst them selves and the forwards living off scraps

it has to change....
I can't see it changing much this season mate, unless Stevie's form suddenly picks up or Viera gets himself a time machine and rolls back the years I don't see we have the personnel to change much in midfield.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.