Ruining Football Since 2008 Flag Trouble?

rogdogblue said:
I was at the Irish club at Spurs when it was unfurled. The chant that started in the club from us was "Killing football, and we don't care".
It's very similar to the "We'll buy your club, and burn it down" chant.
The problem with the banner is that it can be easily misconstrued as a protest. It happened on this forum in the original thread about it. That's why they were asked to take it down. Imagine the Sheik clocking that after spending all that money.
I know that the media are giving us plenty but the club are maintaining a dignified silence and getting on with the job of winning that trophy.
We should get on with supporting our club and not gloating how rich our club is.[/quote]

I don't believe this is about gloating at all, I thought it was a dig at the worlds media.
I certainly don't think it is anything like the "we'll buy your club" chant that is very arrogant and in my opinion, childish.

I saw it being taken down but don't know why. I presumed it was because it was interfering with people's view on the lower tier.

By the way, do people just not get 'irony' anymore? Are we know on a par with the Americans in this regard?

Regardless of what happened last night, some posters on this thread make me cringe. The flag is not 'rubbing people's noses in it', it is an ironic piss take because we are quite clearly NOT ruining football and any right minded individual would know that.

I'm always amazed at people at football matches who are concerned what opposing fans might think of us or what the outside world think of us. I really couldn't care less. We are not mocking the dead so really, what is the problem?

Bottom line is it's a joke. If you're offended by it then I'm afraid you might just be too delicate for this cruel cruel world.

i think everyone knows its a joke,its just that cook and co dont want to see it, city are after a new image now and we should respect their wishes, we are working class people and to us its a piss take,but to someone trying to promote citys name and stature, they probably thought that they can do without it

Jordie said:
rogdogblue said:
I was at the Irish club at Spurs when it was unfurled. The chant that started in the club from us was "Killing football, and we don't care".
It's very similar to the "We'll buy your club, and burn it down" chant.
The problem with the banner is that it can be easily misconstrued as a protest. It happened on this forum in the original thread about it. That's why they were asked to take it down. Imagine the Sheik clocking that after spending all that money.
I know that the media are giving us plenty but the club are maintaining a dignified silence and getting on with the job of winning that trophy.
We should get on with supporting our club and not gloating how rich our club is.[/quote]

I don't believe this is about gloating at all, I thought it was a dig at the worlds media.
I certainly don't think it is anything like the "we'll buy your club" chant that is very arrogant and in my opinion, childish.
Agree. The flag is having a pop at the negativity surrounding the takeover. If you think the Sheikh wouldn't get that then I think you're insulting his intellect.

Seriously, all ppkl including our OWNER probably dont read English Funny papers (NOTW,Daily fail,the sun.) so they may not understand the so called irony. Of course the banner had to be taken down. oh yes, some fans might agree with these papers too. and actually think we are ruin football, you dont know! we do have som ehm "strange" fans to be honest. not only Spurs,Liverpool and RAGS.
PS.
its funny though.<br /><br />-- Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:13 am --<br /><br />
bluegorton said:
Agree. The flag is having a pop at the negativity surrounding the takeover. If you think the Sheikh wouldn't get that then I think you're insulting his intellect.
You would understand if someone didnt get it. quite alot of ppl in England beleive we do ruin football so why not some of our own fans??

pissedagain said:
i think everyone knows its a joke,its just that cook and co dont want to see it, city are after a new image now and we should respect their wishes, we are working class people and to us its a piss take,but to someone trying to promote citys name and stature, they probably thought that they can do without it

Really? After all the shit that Cook has had to put up with you think he'd think, "Woah. Now that needs to be removed. I've forged some excellent links with the media since I've been here and that's putting everything at risk."

He's more likely surely to have a little giggle to himself about it.

Even Daniel Taylor recently wrote (in one of his new glowing articles) that the in-joke in the corridors of Eastlands and Carrington is that City are "killing football" so I'd be amazed if this is a decision from up high.

If it is, not only would I be amazed, it would piss me off. We don't need the fucking Thought Police to keep us under control.

m27 said:
I saw it being taken down but don't know why. I presumed it was because it was interfering with people's view on the lower tier.

By the way, do people just not get 'irony' anymore? Are we know on a par with the Americans in this regard?

Regardless of what happened last night, some posters on this thread make me cringe. The flag is not 'rubbing people's noses in it', it is an ironic piss take because we are quite clearly NOT ruining football and any right minded individual would know that.

I'm always amazed at people at football matches who are concerned what opposing fans might think of us or what the outside world think of us. I really couldn't care less. We are not mocking the dead so really, what is the problem?

Bottom line is it's a joke. If you're offended by it then I'm afraid you might just be too delicate for this cruel cruel world.

Spot on.

I know people can add bits on to stories so I'm not going to take it as gospel but I heard from someone in the pub after the game that one of the reasons a steward gave for taking the banner down is that it contained the word "Killing". Now if this is true then it's downright pathetic. I also heard that the lads who had the banner were thrown out of the ground and their seasoncards confiscated. Again, I don't know how true this is and it could well be an exaggeration but if that did happen then someone needs to get a life.

Everyone is not as bright as you M27, please respect that. The banner is funny if you are well aware of the irony behind it! but it still gives a message that can be taken wrong, primarly by two reasons, ONE, you dont understand the Irony!, TWO, you dont know about the Ruin-football saga to begin with!

zeven said:
Everyone is not as bright as you M27, please respect that. The banner is funny if you are well aware of the irony behind it! but it still gives a message that can be taken wrong, primarly by two reasons, ONE, you dont understand the Irony!, TWO, you dont know about the Ruin-football saga to begin with!

Notwithstanding the fact that people who know me on here will have spat their coffee out when reading the word "bright" attributed to me (thank you nonetheless) I really do think that is taking things toooo far.

We have already established, beyond reasonable doubt, that Stephen Ireland is NOT Superman, but that banner survived.

In all seriousness though, football is all about escpaism, tribalism and irrationality, always has been, and it's a sad sad day when non-abusive banners are being taken down beause they could be misinterpreted and cause tiny offence.

if it was the banner hanging over from East Stand Block 203/204 (right in front of me) then it was only because it was blocking the view from below and certainly no-one was thrown out

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.