Running thread

Anyone got any suggestions on which running watch is worth buying?

I am looking at the forerunner 245 (without music) which is an updated version of the 235. Anyone had any experiences good/bad with these watches or would recommend different ones?

Anyone got any suggestions on which running watch is worth buying?

I am looking at the forerunner 245 (without music) which is an updated version of the 235. Anyone had any experiences good/bad with these watches or would recommend different ones?
235 is great - I've had mine for years and it's still as new. Can't comment on the 245.

Crikey - you've just read 115 pages!? That must have taken you all day.

Oh, great running, by the way.

I was on the sick from work , plenty of time on my hands
As for the running currently injured again with a bad calf after winning the British masters cross country relays with my club 2 weeks ago. Been a frustrating year

Last edited:
You won't go wrong with the 235 had mine for over three years.. If the 245 is an update and you can get it at a decent price then it's worth it I'm sure.

Thanks for the advice. In the end I went with the forerunner 235 as being a bit of a luddite the extra spec I was not likely to use and could not justify the extra £100 in cost. Also noted the comments on here and by friends and all spoke positive about the 235.

Now the science part of working out training zones.

First run I just did was just 4k with one 2k and two 1k splits to try to work out my maximum heart rate. The last K I went flat out (3:58k) and had a max heart rate of 178 which incidentally, based on the 220-Age should be 177. Would this be a suitable method of working out in your opinion @Stuuuuuu ?

Thanks for the advice. In the end I went with the forerunner 235 as being a bit of a luddite the extra spec I was not likely to use and could not justify the extra £100 in cost. Also noted the comments on here and by friends and all spoke positive about the 235.

Now the science part of working out training zones.

First run I just did was just 4k with one 2k and two 1k splits to try to work out my maximum heart rate. The last K I went flat out (3:58k) and had a max heart rate of 178 which incidentally, based on the 220-Age should be 177. Would this be a suitable method of working out in your opinion @Stuuuuuu ?
Hi. To be honest, I would go flat out on more repeats if you can, to make sure your HR was as close to max. as possible. Many recommend adding 5bpm so you could go for 183 and review it again in a few weeks. Don't do it very frequently though because there are obviously drawbacks to pushing yourself that hard.

For resting HR, it's often recommended to measure it before you get out of bed for three consecutive morning's, then take the mean average.

Hope that makes sense.

Great choice on the watch, by the way. I've had my 235 for a good few years and it's still an outstanding bit of kit.

Hi. To be honest, I would go flat out on more repeats if you can, to make sure your HR was as close to max. as possible. Many recommend adding 5bpm so you could go for 183 and review it again in a few weeks. Don't do it very frequently though because there are obviously drawbacks to pushing yourself that hard.

For resting HR, it's often recommended to measure it before you get out of bed for three consecutive morning's, then take the mean average.

Hope that makes sense.

Great choice on the watch, by the way. I've had my 235 for a good few years and it's still an outstanding bit of kit.

Thanks again. Will try that with smaller sprints and see how I go.

The last 2ks were 4:05 and 3:58 which is pretty flat out for myself as typically I would runs a park run around 21:20 - 21:40 mark.

Yes happy with the watch already. Being a luddite had a few early difficulties with the garmin not charging and It was only when my partner came home and reset it did it start to work.

So far found both the watch and Garmin app really easy to navigate and love the info it provide. (Just had a look at the graphs of my heart rate and it shows hitting 178 on both 1k intervals).

In itself It is going to be great motivating tool and I honestly cannot wait to get started.

Well arrived back yesterday after 4 days in New York, the marathon was a truly remarkable experience one i'd recommend to anyone if they ever get the opportunity. Time of 4.26. Happy with that as it's not a fast course due to it being quite hilly, something i'd heard about but didn't expect, the amount of runners and the fact it's got too much going on that you want to savour.

Running over Brooklyn bridge at the start with a NYPD helicopter flying at exactly head height was unreal. And the finish running into Central park..... wow.

The people are without doubt the most friendly i've ever had the pleasure of coming across, so supportive to everyone who's competing. Saw and met some remarkable people who when the going gets tough in my own head during the run gave you a right kick up the arse..... backwards Bill a guy who went backwards in his wheelchair!! Asha who had only one leg and numerous other amputees, blind or disabled who have the spirit to drag themselves round a tough 26.2 mile course. Awe inspiring stuff.

Best moment was seeing my son at 16 miles when i was flagging, he'd tracked me on the app but it said i'd already gone past but it was a little head of time and seeing him there was a little emotional to say the least!!

Thanks to all on here who offered their support.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.