Running thread

Still doing my 3 stints per day on the treadmill most days totalling close to 10k. Upped my speed a little from 5.2 to 5.4Mph. I’m not arsed about breaking the land speed record and just want to get some weight off for starters. After finding to my horror the other week that my weight had mysteriously gone up a pound or so compared to the week before, it’s been going down ever since. Ordered a Fitbit too which is due today. No idea how it works but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

I posted in here a few weeks ago when I was just starting out, still making the most of being at home and not having my usual commute but sad to say I have only done one 5k since. I have been out walking, normally 8/9k a day at least and also trying to get on the bike for a good 15-20k 2/3 times a week. When I run my knees just kill me, I am trying to focus on shifting some weight as I have convinced myself that my poor knees shouldn't be dragging my belly round a 5k and expect to be ok.

My 17 year old is now into boxing and has been both skipping and running.
5-7 k runs the latter he can do in circa 30 minutes so it’s a decent pace.

Coming to the point , he suffered an Achilles injury around a month ago which he rested up and it improved.
He is still feeling it though.
He takes his conditioning extremely serious and we have converted the garage into a boxing gym so he is always on the bag.

Can anyone pass on tips on what you think maybe the issue.
He has blagged my newish pair of Nike running shoes but not sure he has the same gait as me.

Ta in advance.
Had achilles trouble for years on and off, done a lot of boxing training which contributes to it. Skipping and planting your feet in the right position to throw shots can exacerbate the problem severely.

How did the injury occur ? Was it when running or sprinting or working the bag ? Did he rest it completely or was he still doing some exercise ?

I’m no expert but I’ve always found that keeping your calves strong acts as a protective shield to some extent. And any time he feels any tenderness get some ice on it or if his calf gets tight get some heat on it.

I posted in here a few weeks ago when I was just starting out, still making the most of being at home and not having my usual commute but sad to say I have only done one 5k since. I have been out walking, normally 8/9k a day at least and also trying to get on the bike for a good 15-20k 2/3 times a week. When I run my knees just kill me, I am trying to focus on shifting some weight as I have convinced myself that my poor knees shouldn't be dragging my belly round a 5k and expect to be ok.
Sounds like you're doing loads! Walking and cycling are excellent aerobic exercise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.