Running thread

Christ...I'm on 122Km for this year...thought that was decent but 201 miles!!
My knee's a bit sore but I continued running instead of resting (I did 22 k over the weekend) so my own fault. Did a fair bit of training too (I have to support my hip injury with strong core exercises) but I've been feeling very run down this week. Possibly a combination of over doing it with a cold that's going around (though I have no 'cold' symptoms, more the flu elements) and very likely a withdrawal from meds I've been taken for a year (I stopped a week ago).
Haven't run since the weekend...I'm struggling standing up straight to be honest (dizzyness). Back on sooner rather than later...running is now the core of everything else I do.

I'm only on a measly 70 miles :(
Though I've managed to rack a few swimming and cycling miles up alongside.

Teacher training is not conducive to a good training schedule unfortunately. Forcing myself to have the time for the local club runs and making parkrun on Saturday's. Aiming to tick over at 15 or so miles a week and then pick up in the half-terms. Marathon training starts at the end of June!

Did my first twenty mile run on Sunday and wondering if I should go any higher than this distance for my marathon training?

I only trained up to 23, most only do 21 or so, you're not going to quit at that point and it's not like you can turn around and go back................

Think I got a new 10k PB !!!! Buzzing.

Well done mate, great time.

I only trained up to 23, most only do 21 or so, you're not going to quit at that point and it's not like you can turn around and go back................

Well done mate, great time.

Cheers bud. Paid the price. My left knee is very sore.

Did my first twenty mile run on Sunday and wondering if I should go any higher than this distance for my marathon training?
It depends on your pace mate. But the vast majority of runners should get nowhere near 20 miles when training for a marathon.

The evidence tells us that, once you go over 12 miles (yes, just 12), the benefit declines rapidly. There is some benefit but it's relatively negligible. And once you run for over 3 hours, you actually enter a zone of detriment - your fitness will worsen. This is because there is essentially no fitness benefit beyond this point but your body will take a significant amount of time to recover. This, in turn, will hinder your other training runs for the rest of the week (and potentially beyond). The long run is the most important run of the week, but it isn't so important that it should be to the detriment of your other runs. Aiming for a high cumulative weekly mileage with one of your runs as an LSR is the key to successful marathon training. This can be further supplemented by optional speed work and strength training.

So to look again at maximum LSR: aim for no more than 3 hours on feet in one go. This doesn't mean that you should be at, or close to, 3 hours every week though. Let's look at an average runner whose LSR pace is 10m/m. In three hours, they will run 18 miles. To have a faster LSR pace than this, you're typically looking at going under 3:30 for the marathon. So it will take a very fast runner with an LSR pace of 9m/m to cover 20 miles in 3 hours.

Ha - 246 now mate and that's after having a couple of relatively low-mileage weeks! I expect to be on 300 by this time next week.

Not feeling the running vibe this week (feel a bit woozy) and my knee is sore (probably from running on it last week when I shouldn't have), but I'll hopefully resume this weekend.
246...300..That's just nuts mate...!!

Ha - 246 now mate and that's after having a couple of relatively low-mileage weeks! I expect to be on 300 by this time next week.

Fuck off Stuuu! I’m happy at 218!!

It depends on your pace mate. But the vast majority of runners should get nowhere near 20 miles when training for a marathon.

The evidence tells us that, once you go over 12 miles (yes, just 12), the benefit declines rapidly. There is some benefit but it's relatively negligible. And once you run for over 3 hours, you actually enter a zone of detriment - your fitness will worsen. This is because there is essentially no fitness benefit beyond this point but your body will take a significant amount of time to recover. This, in turn, will hinder your other training runs for the rest of the week (and potentially beyond). The long run is the most important run of the week, but it isn't so important that it should be to the detriment of your other runs. Aiming for a high cumulative weekly mileage with one of your runs as an LSR is the key to successful marathon training. This can be further supplemented by optional speed work and strength training.

So to look again at maximum LSR: aim for no more than 3 hours on feet in one go. This doesn't mean that you should be at, or close to, 3 hours every week though. Let's look at an average runner whose LSR pace is 10m/m. In three hours, they will run 18 miles. To have a faster LSR pace than this, you're typically looking at going under 3:30 for the marathon. So it will take a very fast runner with an LSR pace of 9m/m to cover 20 miles in 3 hours.

I run 8 minutes and under usually though aiming for 8:30 pace on the actual marathon, what you saying I should be doing per week?

Currently I do;

Monday 4-5 miles pace around 8 minute miles
Weds 7-10 miles around 8:15- 8:30 minutes
Saturday occasional 5k park run at 7 minute miles plus a warm up and down of 1.5 miles each way.
Sunday 10-18 miles, 8:30 pace.

Cheers for any advice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.