Running thread

Don't get to downhearted based on a tough session, lots of runners don't take HR as a guide, when is your mara and what's the goal? Most marathons now are not for another couple of months so I'm guessing its quite early in your training block? If so your sessions are bound to be quite tough.
Early in all my marathon training blocks I always struggle and question whether I'm going to get to where I'm aiming for, just keep turning up, the tough ones are the ones that give you the most reward
Chester Marathon October 8th.
A Goal: 3:30
B Goal: 3:45
C Goal: 4:00
D Goal: Finish

2nd week of my training block, off of the back of an 8 week block to get me prepared for this training. I'm aiming for my A Goal but holding that pace at the moment feels tough, too tough. I'm probably between my B and C Goal at the moment, 3:50ish, so need to find 20mins in 13 weeks.
1st Marathon though so trying not to be too hard on myself.

Chester Marathon October 8th.
A Goal: 3:30
B Goal: 3:45
C Goal: 4:00
D Goal: Finish

2nd week of my training block, off of the back of an 8 week block to get me prepared for this training. I'm aiming for my A Goal but holding that pace at the moment feels tough, too tough. I'm probably between my B and C Goal at the moment, 3:50ish, so need to find 20mins in 13 weeks.
1st Marathon though so trying not to be too hard on myself.
Thinking of chester myself, 13 weeks away.
I would definitely stick with your A goal until way past halfway through your training, confidence is a tricky one, you don't want to get too confident and you also don't want to just give up as you think you can't do it.
Loads of time to find the speed your after of you ask me.
If I can give you an example of my own training, I'm currently miles off the pace I know I can go and have done loads of times before, Im, I wouldn't say struggling but far from comfortable running around the 5min per km mark for maybe 7 or 8 milers, I was the same in January, went through my training block and was quite comfortable at around 4.15/4.20per km for both boston and London the week after.
I'm pretty confident I will get back to them paces again, but it's a slog tbh!!
Which plan are you following? Trust the process mate it does work.

Reactions: ob
Was more where I got them from. The Rincon 2 that I have had to be replaced as the underneath was going away after 2 runs, got a replacement but then the newer Hokas that I got have since gone back as too narrow and were again after doing less than 50km in them were cutting up underneath

are brooks ghost worth it?

Everybody is different but I hated Brooks Ghosts. Only pair of running trainers I've had that have given me horrific blisters. So much so I doubt I'll ever get another pair of Brooks. New Balance Fresh Foams or Adidas Boosts (Ultra usually but some of the cheaper range of Pure and Pulse Boosts have been good too) for me.

Thinking of chester myself, 13 weeks away.
I would definitely stick with your A goal until way past halfway through your training, confidence is a tricky one, you don't want to get too confident and you also don't want to just give up as you think you can't do it.
Loads of time to find the speed your after of you ask me.
If I can give you an example of my own training, I'm currently miles off the pace I know I can go and have done loads of times before, Im, I wouldn't say struggling but far from comfortable running around the 5min per km mark for maybe 7 or 8 milers, I was the same in January, went through my training block and was quite comfortable at around 4.15/4.20per km for both boston and London the week after.
I'm pretty confident I will get back to them paces again, but it's a slog tbh!!
Which plan are you following? Trust the process mate it does work.
I liked the look of Chester, fairly scenic and should be a good night out afterwards.

Getting to the pace isn't a huge issue, I have a background in shorter distances, it's holding it for a significant time that I'm trying to adapt to. Like you say I'm going to aim for A goal and then see how far away I am going into it, then pace myself appropriately.

A plan from Ben Parkes, I liked all the paces being broken down and the layout of the sessions, using some of my own knowledge as well.

Getting to the pace isn't a huge issue, I have a background in shorter distances, it's holding it for a significant time that I'm trying to adapt to.
Yep that's kinda what I was getting at, your stamina will build during the training block to enable you to keep at that pace longer, I can go a lot faster than 4.20 per km but I sure as fuck wouldn't be able to hold on for a marathon distance, 5 or 10k lungbusters are great for that kinda of jazz but bags of stamina are what you need for marathons, I haven't really ever followed a plan for marathons, my go to is just bust out 10 milers day after day mixing up speed and slow one's, works for me but everyone's different

10km done tonight. 3km easy pace, 3km marathon pace, 2km Tempo, 2km easy pace.

Think my marathon goal is too high, hitting 180+ bpm running marathon pace and 200 bpm running tempo, so I'm running too fast, might have to adjust my goal.

Wrist measurements for HR so not completely accurate but it does feel that tough.

Wrist HR is miles off. Can't understand people that think they're 'close enough'. Only ok really for resting heart rate. Takes about 10 minutes to adjust and by then you can already have made a tit out of yourself. Totally useless for intervals and anything where heart rate changes quickly. Can get a generic one for about £20 and they're worth every penny. People that struggle to pace themselves NEED one. Don't even know you have it on most of the time.

Everybody is different but I hated Brooks Ghosts. Only pair of running trainers I've had that have given me horrific blisters. So much so I doubt I'll ever get another pair of Brooks. New Balance Fresh Foams or Adidas Boosts (Ultra usually but some of the cheaper range of Pure and Pulse Boosts have been good too) for me.

just had some new balance arrive this morning. see how I get on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.