Running thread

Wrist HR is miles off. Can't understand people that think they're 'close enough'. Only ok really for resting heart rate. Takes about 10 minutes to adjust and by then you can already have made a tit out of yourself. Totally useless for intervals and anything where heart rate changes quickly. Can get a generic one for about £20 and they're worth every penny. People that struggle to pace themselves NEED one. Don't even know you have it on most of the time.
Could you recommend anything?

My Apple Watch is good as a rough indicator, but clearly not the most accurate as you've described.

Wrist HR is miles off. Can't understand people that think they're 'close enough'. Only ok really for resting heart rate. Takes about 10 minutes to adjust and by then you can already have made a tit out of yourself. Totally useless for intervals and anything where heart rate changes quickly. Can get a generic one for about £20 and they're worth every penny. People that struggle to pace themselves NEED one. Don't even know you have it on most of the time.

I know wrist HR isn't the best indicator but it does help when comparing to previous measurements and runs, along with my RPE for each run.

I know for true results a chest strap is the way to go.

Could you recommend anything?

My Apple Watch is good as a rough indicator, but clearly not the most accurate as you've described.
I know wrist HR isn't the best indicator but it does help when comparing to previous measurements and runs, along with my RPE for each run.

I know for true results a chest strap is the way to go.

Polar and Garmin are the best 'known' brands. I have a Garmin HRM-Run and about a 15 year old Garmin one as a spare. Does the Apple use Ant+ and Bluetooth? Otherwise you'll have to get one that is uses but a lot of straps do both anyway.

Something like this should do. I've bought Coospo gear before for bike speed and cadence sensors etc and recommended them to a mate. He got a HR monitor off them and is happy with it and wishes he'd bought one sooner as his watch was so far off. 15 percent voucher would knock it down to almost £25. They do a few different models so doesn't have to be that one but that this has both Bluetooth and Ant+

yeah injuries have taken its toll on me, so now I am picking 2/3 runs a week and not doing much more than that

Do just want to take a bag, get on a train and go to lymme park or dovestones for a run

I am Bournemouth based so run typically along the South west coast path, Isle of Purbeck or occasionally, New Forest. Never ever regret it and although its adds serious prep time to the run.

Once I get back to running 10 miles plus regularly, will be a bit more adventurous again with my running.

Last edited:
19km done yesterday, new longest run record.

8km easy, 5km marathon pace, 6km easy. I was running at the top end of my easy pace target but 5-10 seconds off the marathon pace (too slow), I just didn't have an extra gear and I was thinking i've got another 6km to go after this.

Bit achy today, going to enjoy my rest day before an easy 5 miler tomorrow.

Week 2 of marathon training complete, 13 to go.

Deal of the day for Prime Members: SHOKZ OpenRun Pro, [England Athletics Recommended] Bone Conduction Headphones, Open-Ear Sports Earphones with Mic, IP55 Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Headset for Running Workout Driving(Swift Black) https://amzn.eu/d/58C4CAm

Just a heads up for those who were l9oking at the shokz bone conducting headphones, they on a deal for prime day, the pro's are 111 and the normal are 90, infairness I've got both and there's not much difference

Training run completed this morning over a bit of the Stafford to Shrewsbury disused railway trackbed (but not too far).
Much better running conditions today and kept my running fitness ticking over in a week I'm more concentrating on swimming.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.