Running thread

Thanks so much lads, I really mean it. I did it, got up, got ready, got bus, ran in mud bath. Was aiming for 35 mins and time on Garmin was 34.49. Official time 33.35. I'm not sure if I'd have done it if not for this thread. Never underestimate the power of your posts
Pardon my french, but that's fucking brilliant mate!! Buzzing for you

This morning's muddy Peel Parkrun completed in 30:21.
Took it slow and steady as I'm still recovering from the dreaded man flu, but at least there was no walking involved today.
Never call it 'man flu'. Drives me fucking mad! You were ill mate and, no doubt, did well to get out. Anecdotal admittedly, but the same female colleagues in my workplace who constantly used that term were invariably the one's who routinely threw a sicky at the first sign of a sniffle!
Anyway, rant over. Well done fella!

Never call it 'man flu'. Drives me fucking mad! You were ill mate and, no doubt, did well to get out. Anecdotal admittedly, but the same female colleagues in my workplace who constantly used that term were invariably the one's who routinely threw a sicky at the first sign of a sniffle!

Haven't a clue what I've had. It involved being freezing cold followed by having night sweats. Anyway, I didn't feel sorry for myself and carried on my training runs and achieved all my swimming distance goals. Everything has just been taking a little longer than normal!

Managed to get into the final release of the Manchester Marathon next April. Did the Aj Bell half marathon back in May and loved it. Bricking it going up to marathon distance, any advice to get ready for it? Not really done any distance running since the half marathon and dropped down to 5km runs, suppose it’s getting the consistency and start bumping the mileage up again.
First off congrats for having the balls to sign up.
Marathons are a different beast to the shorter stuff, a lot of it is in the mind, I find breaking the 26.2 miles into more manageable chunks helps, it's only 4 and a bit 10ks or 8 and a bit 5ks etc etc.
Marathon training for an April mara is great, gives you a great start to the year getting your head down in January and building up.
Training wise I always think it's important that folk realise none of us are the same and a lot of these generic plans and their one shoe fits all don't allow for stuff like life and all the other shit you do day in day out.
A very basic guideline would be estimate your goal time, then find out the pace required, do maybe 75/80% of your runs at least a minute slower than that pace, one pace session a week(fartleks etc) and one long run a week. Strength training is also a good one to do, I should do more as I see folks getting great results with it but it bores the shit out of me, eat well and rest well, enjoy the training the journey is the best bit

Reactions: ob
Probably for another thread but it's the pussyfication of the nation mate, manflu, manbag, man bun and all this shite, also drives me insane, all these gimps walking round with handbags and sleeve tattoos of coronation street characters

Thanks so much lads, I really mean it. I did it, got up, got ready, got bus, ran in mud bath. Was aiming for 35 mins and time on Garmin was 34.49. Official time 33.35. I'm not sure if I'd have done it if not for this thread. Never underestimate the power of your posts
Brilliant. Onwards and upwards.

Fortunately I don't have motivation problems. It helps that I've been running and cycling for 30 odd years and it's a way off life now. Plus I easily get the running high. I managed a 4 mile trail plod this morning in the mist, sun and rain. Buzzing.

Just back from a week in the canary Islands where I used my medicore fitness benefits for a couple of exploratory runs. Hoping to do a lot more of this in retirement in a couple of years .......

Maybe take some inspiration from this post and aim to keep fit long into the future?

Last edited:
Managed to get into the final release of the Manchester Marathon next April. Did the Aj Bell half marathon back in May and loved it. Bricking it going up to marathon distance, any advice to get ready for it? Not really done any distance running since the half marathon and dropped down to 5km runs, suppose it’s getting the consistency and start bumping the mileage up again.
Agree with final sentence.

Maybe find a train plan online. (Hal Higdon?)

Nutrition. Review eating and drinking....water and beer. :-)

Haven't a clue what I've had. It involved being freezing cold followed by having night sweats. Anyway, I didn't feel sorry for myself and carried on my training runs and achieved all my swimming distance goals. Everything has just been taking a little longer than normal!
If anything, us blokes are guilty of thinking we can push through it and, by so doing, frequently setting back our recovery and infecting others in the process!

If anything, us blokes are guilty of thinking we can push through it and, by so doing, frequently setting back our recovery and infecting others in the process!

Yeah, I was on a tram in Manchester yesterday and it sounded like a mobile male cough colony. And I was the only person to think of opening a couple of windows!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.