Running thread

I tried increasing my cadence from reading a post on here. managed to go from averaging 161 normally to 172 on my last run. A few little tweaks with my running style has certainly prevented injury and I feel in great form. Enjoying my running again and I'm looking to sign up to the Wilmslow 1/2 in March

Signed up for this, but wife is now having major surgery on Wed 22nd and childcare is looking unlikely, so prob going to have to give it a miss.
Ah, I hope the surgery goes well. You can transfer the entry to a friend/family member. I'm sure there will be a fellow Bluemooner who'd take a spare so it doesn't go to waste.

I've upped my weekly kilometres to 40k last week. I did some speedwork today. 7k total.

1k warm up,
1k fast (4:00),
1k recovery,
1k fast (4:08),
1k recovery,
1k fast (4:09)
1k cool down.

When I returned to running this summer, a fast run was around 5:30 min/km. It took me quite a while to get under 5 mins for 1 km and much longer to extend that and get my 5k time under 25 mins. Now, a few months later, a quick run averages around 4:30/km and my easy pace is 5:30/km. I'm the fittest I've been in years.

It's exciting to break a 4-minute km, and I'd love to achieve a sub-20-minute 5k. I felt like I was bombing it on those three quick intervals today, and going even quicker than that for 5 consecutive kilometres seems almost impossible right now!

Does anyone here use the running track at Crossford Bridge in Sale or in Stretford, where the park run is? I think it would be easier to improve my speed on a track rather than worrying about traffic/old ladies etc.

I've upped my weekly kilometres to 40k last week. I did some speedwork today. 7k total.

1k warm up,
1k recovery,
1k recovery,
1k cool down.

When I returned to running this summer, a fast run was around 5:30 min/km. It took me quite a while to get under 5 mins for 1 km and much longer to extend that and get my 5k time under 25 mins. Now, a few months later, a quick run averages around 4:30/km and my easy pace is 5:30/km. I'm the fittest I've been in years.

It's exciting to break a 4-minute km, and I'd love to achieve a sub-20-minute 5k. I felt like I was bombing it on those three quick intervals today, and going even quicker than that for 5 consecutive kilometres seems almost impossible right now!

Does anyone here use the running track at Crossford Bridge in Sale or in Stretford, where the park run is? I think it would be easier to improve my speed on a track rather than worrying about traffic/old ladies etc.

So 1km recovery segments were ~5:30 min/km?

Pretty impressive progress over a few months

1k warm up,
1k recovery,
1k recovery,
1k cool down.

Sounds like your progress is almost identical to mine. Came back to it in May, never been fitter.

A sub 30min 5km back in May had my heart rate at 200bpm. I'm now seconds from a parkrun sub 20 (19.47 on the watch though).

I've started doing my speed intervals on a track near work, it's not one of those though, I think the track makes a big difference. It's a lot easier to get dialled in on the paces, your runs will probably be faster on the track as well.

The 1k repeats are good for a 5km though. I prefer to do 5/6 x 1km with a short recovery in between, maybe 2mins to begin with and work on bringing that recovery down to 1 minutes over a few weeks.

So 1km recovery segments were ~5:30 min/km?

Pretty impressive progress over a few months
The recoveries were more like 6:00 min/km. I was forcing myself to run that slowly towards the end of those kilometres, though (to try and get the best out of the next quick one).

Thank you... I've got the bug. I look forward to my runs and find it's really good for my mental health - the progress is just a nice by-product!

Sounds like your progress is almost identical to mine. Came back to it in May, never been fitter.

A sub 30min 5km back in May had my heart rate at 200bpm. I'm now seconds from a parkrun sub 20 (19.47 on the watch though).

I've started doing my speed intervals on a track near work, it's not one of those though, I think the track makes a big difference. It's a lot easier to get dialled in on the paces, your runs will probably be faster on the track as well.

The 1k repeats are good for a 5km though. I prefer to do 5/6 x 1km with a short recovery in between, maybe 2mins to begin with and work on bringing that recovery down to 1 minutes over a few weeks.

That's so impressive, well done.

It's incredible how quickly your fitness improves when you get into running. I'd stress to anyone who's thinking of doing the couch to 5k to throw themselves into it. Once you can run 5k (at any speed), the running world is your oyster!

I'll get in touch with Sale Harriers and see what the score is with their track. Alternatively, I might do laps of the field near me... I won't be as quick on the grass, but it will make running on the roads seem more effortless.

I do think the 1km recoveries were too long - I'm using Strava, though, and I'd struggle to track my fast km pace if I only did, for example, 500m recoveries. I'm a very keen novice. I don't know much about running and have never been part of a running club or anything like that. I get 99% of my running advice from this thread haha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.