Running thread

I tried increasing my cadence from reading a post on here. managed to go from averaging 161 normally to 172 on my last run. A few little tweaks with my running style has certainly prevented injury and I feel in great form. Enjoying my running again and I'm looking to sign up to the Wilmslow 1/2 in March
Good luck! Back in the day Wilmslow had the best goody bag around too :-)

I've upped my weekly kilometres to 40k last week. I did some speedwork today. 7k total.

1k warm up,
1k fast (4:00),
1k recovery,
1k fast (4:08),
1k recovery,
1k fast (4:09)
1k cool down.

When I returned to running this summer, a fast run was around 5:30 min/km. It took me quite a while to get under 5 mins for 1 km and much longer to extend that and get my 5k time under 25 mins. Now, a few months later, a quick run averages around 4:30/km and my easy pace is 5:30/km. I'm the fittest I've been in years.

It's exciting to break a 4-minute km, and I'd love to achieve a sub-20-minute 5k. I felt like I was bombing it on those three quick intervals today, and going even quicker than that for 5 consecutive kilometres seems almost impossible right now!

Does anyone here use the running track at Crossford Bridge in Sale or in Stretford, where the park run is? I think it would be easier to improve my speed on a track rather than worrying about traffic/old ladies etc.
Fair play pal, to get from 25 min parkrun to a 20 min time is an incredible improvement; really a big deal that.

On that note, if you’re not done it and want a quick parkrun 5km course, the quickest one I’ve found in the Greater Manchester area is Alexandra Park in Moss. Flat, no mud/grass/woodland, and only one 180 degree turn, though you have to do it twice. Big numbers though normally.

Oh, and yes, you’re right about a track, esp if you can find a time to use it when you’ve got it virtually to yourself.

i am a machine :) , onto week 9 of couch to 5k 5 min walk 30 mins run 5mins walk, thought fuck it im just going to run 5k getting a bit sick of steve crams voice :), ended up taking me 41.10 :) , now i know im not a speedster ,but my aim was to get to 5k and i got there, now comes the speed, i aim or will do another 2x 5km runs over the next 4 days at my pace and after that try to increase my fitness, stamina and speed, at the moment im running at 7.5 kmph(stop sniggering at the back) but if you would of asked me how long it would take me to run 5k a year ago i would of said never .

so i need to start doing speed runs(my speed) what would people suggest i should up it to and distance perhaps give me a little program it would be very helpful ,

i am a machine :) , onto week 9 of couch to 5k 5 min walk 30 mins run 5mins walk, thought fuck it im just going to run 5k getting a bit sick of steve crams voice :), ended up taking me 41.10 :) , now i know im not a speedster ,but my aim was to get to 5k and i got there, now comes the speed, i aim or will do another 2x 5km runs over the next 4 days at my pace and after that try to increase my fitness, stamina and speed, at the moment im running at 7.5 kmph(stop sniggering at the back) but if you would of asked me how long it would take me to run 5k a year ago i would of said never .

so i need to start doing speed runs(my speed) what would people suggest i should up it to and distance perhaps give me a little program it would be very helpful ,

Well done, mate!
My first Parkrun after completing couch to 5k took me 40:37, so your efforts seem consistent with mine!

Inspired by the good folk on here I’ve just signed up for a couch to 5k program. I used to run years ago and lost interest after becoming particularly injury prone. I’ve had a few attempts at a ‘come back’ I’m determined not to let past glories rule my head. I’m going to take it easy, walk when told to run slow when told. I’ll keep you posted, and thanks for the inspiration you guys are amazing!!!

Istanbul Marathon completed yesterday. Aiming for 4 hours, finished in 4:53. Heat, beer and kebabs my excuse. Got to 30k in good time and then lost the plot.

However, it was a fabulous event so feel proud and not disheartened. Nursing tight muscles and painful knee today. More beer and kebabs is helping.

Fantastic effort that pal. Shows what perseverence can do, if you keep at something.

With regards a programme. I am probably not best placed, but If it was me I would just keep increasing my distance slowly. Rule of thumb is 10 percent each week, but worth dropping back a bit every 3 weeks. That will naturally improve your fitness and you will become quicker.

Also remember the idea is not to go quicker every run. Make sure you do plenty of easy work. Trying to go quick/outdo yourself every time is a sure fire way to get injury. Give your body time to adapt.

Fair play pal, to get from 25 min parkrun to a 20 min time is an incredible improvement; really a big deal that.

On that note, if you’re not done it and want a quick parkrun 5km course, the quickest one I’ve found in the Greater Manchester area is Alexandra Park in Moss. Flat, no mud/grass/woodland, and only one 180 degree turn, though you have to do it twice. Big numbers though normally.

Oh, and yes, you’re right about a track, esp if you can find a time to use it when you’ve got it virtually to yourself.
Thanks. I feel like I’ve got a lot of room for improvement. I’ll give Alexandra Park a runout soon!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.