Running thread

Still at physio with this potential hamstring injury.
Second visit and advised him the exercised to strengthen have helped strengthen but haven't really cured the issue.

Not a major issue, just sore hamstring barely noticeable most of the time (but constant). The point of contention was a knee pain when I bent this (most noticeable when stretching in yoga - but essentially when I fully bend the right knee it hurts like hell.
We're not sure if this is a separate issue (meniscus) or a knock on effect of the hamstring pain/injury (which happened during a run almost a year ago).

Ran a 11k last night as I up my distances. Question: legs a little sore this morning but wanting to up my running in both distance and regularity.
Atm I run Sat morning Park Run *(5k), Monday 6k, Weds 6k (now 11ks) and that's it.

I tended to walk 10k after work almost every night in the summer but thinking of switching to running instead (6k most nights).

Think I should plough and start running more (physio suggested it's best to not stop running)?
My legs don't hurt today, just a 'tad' sore/tired.
In addition to all this I do strength training a few times a week plus 2 x yoga and 1 x Pilates sessions.

Reactions: ob
This week's been a war of attrition for me. I'm walking serious amount of steps in work at the moment(19000 today) and in wellies most days because the sites a bog. Saturday 16k was fine because I'd had a rest on Friday and it was a early morning run. Sunday off due to hangover. Monday up until today I've done 6k, 7k, 2k of sprints and 9k this evening,but my legs have been like jelly. Tonight's 9k was my slowest time at any distance since I've started timing a few years ago and my cadence was staggeringly bad at 168(I'm usually doing 181/183) I was just so tired from the start. Its no fun when it gets like this. I'm resting tomorrow so I'm fresh for the park run on Saturday. I really envy you guys who work from home, you must be champing at the bitt to get out for a run.

Reactions: ob
Second visit and advised him the exercised to strengthen have helped strengthen but haven't really cured the issue.

Not a major issue, just sore hamstring barely noticeable most of the time (but constant). The point of contention was a knee pain when I bent this (most noticeable when stretching in yoga - but essentially when I fully bend the right knee it hurts like hell.
We're not sure if this is a separate issue (meniscus) or a knock on effect of the hamstring pain/injury (which happened during a run almost a year ago).

Ran a 11k last night as I up my distances. Question: legs a little sore this morning but wanting to up my running in both distance and regularity.
Atm I run Sat morning Park Run *(5k), Monday 6k, Weds 6k (now 11ks) and that's it.

I tended to walk 10k after work almost every night in the summer but thinking of switching to running instead (6k most nights).

Think I should plough and start running more (physio suggested it's best to not stop running)?
In addition to all this I do strength training a few times a week plus 2 x yoga and 1 x Pilates sessions.
If running isn’t making the issue worse I don’t see why you shouldn’t keep it up/increase it slowly.

My main advice would be to take it slow. If you increase the distances dramatically you’re way more likely to get injured.

Turning that 6k into 11k increased your distance by 30% which wouldn’t be sustainable.

This week's been a war of attrition for me. I'm walking serious amount of steps in work at the moment(19000 today) and in wellies most days because the sites a bog. Saturday 16k was fine because I'd had a rest on Friday and it was a early morning run. Sunday off due to hangover. Monday up until today I've done 6k, 7k, 2k of sprints and 9k this evening,but my legs have been like jelly. Tonight's 9k was my slowest time at any distance since I've started timing a few years ago and my cadence was staggeringly bad at 168(I'm usually doing 181/183) I was just so tired from the start. Its no fun when it gets like this. I'm resting tomorrow so I'm fresh for the park run on Saturday. I really envy you guys who work from home, you must be champing at the bitt to get out for a run.
Yep - was busy yesterday and working in Scotland today so desperate to get out on a run tomorrow! Makes me feel anxious when I’ve not done one :’)

Could be a baker's cyst that mate.

I've torn my meniscus and IT band catching over the knee joint. Seeing the surgeon next week to book the double op. Can't wait to get it done now, rehab will be a big step but looking forward to building up mileage again and getting a bit of competition back in my life next year.

Well done mate, that sounds like you're getting plenty of zone one cardio in which is so underrated. You'll be fitter than most men just doing your daily steps, good leg exercise in itself walking through a boggy site.

something popped up on youtube about running,it helped it was a lovely looking lady and it was a shorts youtube video, really good and it helped me, saved and watched them before my run, felt very strange at first but soon got into it, but had to think of the techniques all the time to stop me slipping back into bad practice.

tried to link the videos but it wouldnt let me ,chari hawkins is the lady's name also watched this

I use some of these techniques all the time now and its helped me massively. I have the Helen Hall book called "even with your shoes on" and its very similar as to whats outlined in that video. The egg shell comparison and wheel is a common theme and been mentioned on a few videos. The big one which has helped me is running tall and my head looking straight ahead (rather than down or looking too far up) and imagining a rope on my upper chest being pulled. Something so simple has made a huge difference

This morning's Isabel Trail Parkrun completed in 29:01.
The normal route is currently closed due to flooding so this morning's event took place on the "B" route which involved 4 laps of the pitches at Stafford RUFC.
A bit repetitive and loads of right angles to negotiate, but at least the event took place, and it was a change of scenery!

If running isn’t making the issue worse I don’t see why you shouldn’t keep it up/increase it slowly.

My main advice would be to take it slow. If you increase the distances dramatically you’re way more likely to get injured.

Turning that 6k into 11k increased your distance by 30% which wouldn’t be sustainable.
Not quite sure on them there numbers mate.
But yep agree on your point, slowly and gradually is the key

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.