Running thread

Just remember Jim Fixx……..
I wonder how many people got that reference.
For the uninitiated, Jim Fixx wrote a best-selling book about running which helped to popularise the jogging craze in the US before, yes you guessed it, dying of a heart attack at the age of 52 while running.

Northwich is the one I did Pete. I'm gonna do Delamere too in the coming weeks.
Cheers. I might need to extend into darkest Cheshire then.
I'll be running the Eden Project one when I'm down in Cornwall next June. Free entry afterwards for both runners and spectators!

i am a machine :) , onto week 9 of couch to 5k 5 min walk 30 mins run 5mins walk, thought fuck it im just going to run 5k getting a bit sick of steve crams voice :), ended up taking me 41.10 :) , now i know im not a speedster ,but my aim was to get to 5k and i got there, now comes the speed, i aim or will do another 2x 5km runs over the next 4 days at my pace and after that try to increase my fitness, stamina and speed, at the moment im running at 7.5 kmph(stop sniggering at the back) but if you would of asked me how long it would take me to run 5k a year ago i would of said never .

so i need to start doing speed runs(my speed) what would people suggest i should up it to and distance perhaps give me a little program it would be very helpful ,
Looks like we’re in a similar-ish place. I started 5Ks this year and have gone from around 44mins first time out, now down to 32mins. Two things that helped me get quicker; firstly, getting some new and decent shoes. Looks like you’ve done that already. FWIW I got Brooks Nitroglycerine and they made a hell of a difference. The other thing and I know this might sound silly; I got myself one of those water bottles you can sort of wear like a glove. Just the psychological effect of knowing I could take a swig when I wanted one, really made a difference to me. Like I said, sounds a bit daft, but worked for me.

Looks like we’re in a similar-ish place. I started 5Ks this year and have gone from around 44mins first time out, now down to 32mins. Two things that helped me get quicker; firstly, getting some new and decent shoes. Looks like you’ve done that already. FWIW I got Brooks Nitroglycerine and they made a hell of a difference. The other thing and I know this might sound silly; I got myself one of those water bottles you can sort of wear like a glove. Just the psychological effect of knowing I could take a swig when I wanted one, really made a difference to me. Like I said, sounds a bit daft, but worked for me.

Totally agree regarding the water bottle. Got myself one of those loop shaped ones (in sky blue, of course) from Decathlon.
Really makes a difference when you feel yourself about to overheat.

Nitroglycerin?? Do they help with angina??

I wonder how many people got that reference.
For the uninitiated, Jim Fixx wrote a best-selling book about running which helped to popularise the jogging craze in the US before, yes you guessed it, dying of a heart attack at the age of 52 while running.
I only know that story from a Bill Hicks set.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.