Running thread

Current ’take it easy’ chatting pace is around 5.40 / km (but sure what that is is miles) but can push that in a park run.

Definitely want to do one of the Manchester half marathons. Trouble is the May one could be very hot and heat is a struggle to run in for me (much more of a cold weather runner).

Would love to push for a full marathon but I suspect I’d need to put in the proper training.

I know a guy doing London so may jump on some of his training.

All I can say is, if you feel ready for a Marathon and you haven't done full training I'd go with how you feel.

I did last years Manchester HM in May on aload of prednisolones tablets due to my long covid issues, i agree the heat was horrid but still enjoyed it.

Luckily the heat was warmer after I finished.

That pace is great, what's your 5k time?

I'd echo what Gaz recommends. If you go out, run slowly... like painfully slowly. You should feel like it's awkward how much you're holding yourself back.

It's the only way to really ramp up your mileage (which will improve your speed) without getting injured.
Best advice I ever had: "If you can't run slow, you can't run fast".

Friday Morning Interval Club 2024 began this morning.

9k total.

6x 400m sprints with 400m recovery.

I did it with my mate, who was much quicker than me in our half-marathon training last year. I've run around 200km more than him in Dec/January, and I absolutely roasted him today.

It's quite rewarding to see all the effort and time spent I've invested pay off.

All I can say is, if you feel ready for a Marathon and you haven't done full training I'd go with how you feel.

I did last years Manchester HM in May on aload of prednisolones tablets due to my long covid issues, i agree the heat was horrid but still enjoyed it.

Luckily the heat was warmer after I finished.

That pace is great, what's your 5k time?
Good advice.

Park run PB is 20:49 but then I hit Covid and never hit that level back.
I also had a hip injury which required me biking up my core/glutes and also hit the gym. So I bulked up a bit (I had to as the hip is cartilage damage) but I was pretty thin and sinewy (for me).

I do want to get faster again however.

I’m in York this weekend and managed 25:29 for the park run.
Odd course that….literally a race round York racecourse!

Heaton park Park run in 23:20, be under 23 soon enough and then want under 22.
That's the spirit mate! Never rest on your laurels. I ran a Parkrun PB this morning of 24:19. Next target is sub 24 minutes. After that, who knows? You never know what you're capable of unless you try.

Good advice.

Park run PB is 20:49 but then I hit Covid and never hit that level back.
I also had a hip injury which required me biking up my core/glutes and also hit the gym. So I bulked up a bit (I had to as the hip is cartilage damage) but I was pretty thin and sinewy (for me).

I do want to get faster again however.

I’m in York this weekend and managed 25:29 for the park run.
Odd course that….literally a race round York racecourse!

You will get there. I'm sure I will one day!

That's the spirit mate! Never rest on your laurels. I ran a Parkrun PB this morning of 24:19. Next target is sub 24 minutes. After that, who knows? You never know what you're capable of unless you try.
I was 21:04 and 21:06 on a couple of occasions but these were 6 years ago and at 55 not sure if getting back to those was possible but maybe…..

Reactions: ob

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.