Running thread

Realised I was mixing up sharp edge, which is on blencathra with longside edge on skiddaw. They are quite different. Sharp edge is a much narrower scramble.
Enjoyed this today, weather was even ok until halfway up then the mist came in and visibility was about 20 feet. Still had a good day, though I reckon this was one of if not the toughest we’ve done.
Went from Dodd woods and back and had a coffee at the little cafe at the bottom.

Did a virtual 10 mile run today. Went well for the first 13k but a steep hill and soft sand over the final 3ks left me hanging on at the end.
Still went a bit faster than expected coming home in 1:17, rather than the 1:20 plus expected. Great weather for it and a great feeling afterwards. Unusually listened to a football podcast while running which helped immensely

Last edited:
Into 3rd week of Maffetone. Last three 5ks have all been without stopping for walking breaks and keeping heart rate under 130. Still feels extremely slow though doing 12 min miles. But I shall persevere. I barely broke a sweat though, so I can see improvements. First two or three runs I was stopping every couple of minutes

Into 3rd week of Maffetone. Last three 5ks have all been without stopping for walking breaks and keeping heart rate under 130. Still feels extremely slow though doing 12 min miles. But I shall persevere. I barely broke a sweat though, so I can see improvements. First two or three runs I was stopping every couple of minutes

Great stuff mate. You should persevere as clearly, from your own info, you’re improving rapidly and no doubt feeling better for it.

Dont worry about times either, what you are doing is the right way to go about it.

Your gains will come quickly in the first few weeks, but noticeably tail off. Don't be disheartened by this though as you'll still be improving your endurance and strength. It'll just happen more gradually.

Build distance by adding time to your runs instead of adding distance, and work at a pace that feels comfortable. Try not to be a slave to the numbers (heart rate). The distance will come naturally as your speed/endurance increases.

You are currently running 5km in 37 minutes (12 m/mile pace), so if you were to increase your run time to 45 minutes, your 5km time should naturally come down as you endurance builds. Keep increasing your time slowly and in 6-8 weeks you could easily be running for an hour without stopping.

Keep at it, and you could soon be running a sub-30 minute 5km.

Did a virtual 10 mile run today. Went well for the first 13k but a steep hill and soft sand over the final 3ks left me hanging on at the end.
Still went a bit faster than expected coming home in 1:17, rather than the 1:20 plus expected. Great weather for it and a great feeling afterwards. Unusually listened to a football podcast while running which helped immensely
Brilliant time that for 10 miles.

I'm enjoying being back out running again after a lay off due to shin splints. It seems my flat feet are the cause lots of my issues with my shins and knees, so I've invested in some decent insoles with arch support, which seems to have solved the problems.

I'm running 5km in roughly 23-25 mins depending on how im feeling but just find the whole thing boring and cant wait to finish. What tips do you have for running further than 5km and staying interested? Cant wait for the gym back open Wednesday!

I'm running 5km in roughly 23-25 mins depending on how im feeling but just find the whole thing boring and cant wait to finish. What tips do you have for running further than 5km and staying interested? Cant wait for the gym back open Wednesday!

I find the first 2-3 miles the hardest for a long distance run

after that, i feel good, breathing good, legs fine.

sometimes for motivation, i dont put my headphones on till after 3 miles.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.