Running thread

I agree. The difference made by the heat is immense. I'm supposed to have a marathon in July but I simply can't train adequately for it in these conditions! As for the event itself, I can't say it seems appealing.
You could do a bit of cycling instead of running? From my experience of both cycling and running races, cycling and running compliment each other and they help to improve performance in each discipline......to a point.

On a more serious note you could adopt the gaz76 training method of running early in the mornings when it is cooler? Gaz normally gets up at 3 am and does a 20 mile run before work. But on his day off he has a lie in until 4 am and only runs about 15 miles.

I agree. The difference made by the heat is immense. I'm supposed to have a marathon in July but I simply can't train adequately for it in these conditions! As for the event itself, I can't say it seems appealing.

I have got a half mile trail run tomorrow, no shade at all, fair amount of ascent and descent and down here it will be 20 plus degrees and glorious sunshine.

Hoping more to finish than anything else as I do find the heat a real struggle.

Running in summer is also a lot more complicated. Picked up a hydration vest, bladder, eloctrolyte tabs, light coloured running gear, visor and shades. Seemed a lot easier when it was cooler when I only had to think about was tying my shoelaces, not additional gear, levels of hydration etc.

What plan are you using Emms and what's your target time?
Hal Highdon. A serious runner friend recommended it to me last time and it worked so I'm using it again. I just print off the novice 2 schedule and follow that sometimes moving the actual days I run as I work shifts. I did 3:29 in 2016 but will aim for sub 4 maybe 3:45 this time.

Re running in the heat I quite like it for the sweat fest but you just have to be steadier I feel and sometimes accept your pace will be way off. I did a HM in Singapore in 2018 and my trainers were waterlogged by the end but it was a great event. 0500 start to avoid the sun but still nearly 30 degrees on the start line and sweating before I’d taken a step. Biggest problem I find is sore nips from wet vest and finding plasters which will stay on!

Hal Highdon. A serious runner friend recommended it to me last time and it worked so I'm using it again. I just print off the novice 2 schedule and follow that sometimes moving the actual days I run as I work shifts. I did 3:29 in 2016 but will aim for sub 4 maybe 3:45 this time.
Nice one! I'll check that plan out. I've got the Valencia marathon at the beginning of December and aiming for 3:30.

You could do a bit of cycling instead of running? From my experience of both cycling and running races, cycling and running compliment each other and they help to improve performance in each discipline......to a point.

On a more serious note you could adopt the gaz76 training method of running early in the mornings when it is cooler? Gaz normally gets up at 3 am and does a 20 mile run before work. But on his day off he has a lie in until 4 am and only runs about 15 miles.
Nonsense, Im up at half three on my day off!!

I certainly agree with Hal Higdon marathon plan. I followed it for a couple of marathons and it worked a treat.

I don't concur with sweating in the heat though. But sweating in cold is most refreshing......

Great marathon times BTW.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.