Russian invasion of Ukraine

From the guardian sounds like china population behind Russia

Within minutes of Putin’s statement, thousands of comments poured into China’s Twitter-like platform, Weibo and became the secon-highest trending topic.

China’s response to the invasion has been in stark contrast to that of the west. The two countries’ leaders have declared an unlimited partnership, and while not explicit, China’s support for Russia appears to be growing. Information control and a rising sense of nationalism and anti-western sentiment has also fostered domestic Chinese support for Putin’s actions.

Among the comments on Tuesday, many were amazed by Putin’s determination to go “all in” for the war, and supported his decision. Others said American hegemony must come to an end and this was a perfect opportunity. Some suggested that if Russia lost this war, China would be left alone as the next target to be singled out by the west.

“The situation doesn’t look optimistic, foreign affairs don’t matter, the key is that if Russia has fallen, and the west will only be left with China to deal with, then our life will definitely be more difficult by then,” said one.

“From our country’s standpoint, we need a Russia that is not strong but not down!” said another, suggesting some unease with a potential power struggle between Russia and China.

Only a few comments viewed by the Guardian empathised with the Ukrainian side and hoped that the war wouldn’t escalate to another level. A short time later replies to those comments were no longer visible.
Thousands of comments in a population of 1.4Bn. Not remotely significant. Look at what happens when the Daily Mail posts some racist bile and how many tweets, comments and retweet’s they get supporting their unpleasant views. Does that make it a popular view in the UK, or is it just the usual idiots jumping on the bandwagon.

1. Neo nazis
2. Western aggression
3. We have nukes
4. We aren’t afraid to use our nukes
5. NATO this and NATO that
6. Talks in riddles

He is such a tediously predictable ****.
Yeah, but I think it's important to understand that
Putin doesn't address us/the west/the world

but mainly the russian people to justify his next step (partial mobilization) which won't be very popular.
He tries to stay in power a bit longer somehow.

He mainly talked about defending the great Russian nation against western aggression and that nuclear threats against THEM could also be answered. That's a very soft/poor nuclear threat IMO.

Twisting reality as usual. Lies from top to bottom. He can't win.

Last edited:
Thousands of comments in a population of 1.4Bn. Not remotely significant. Look at what happens when the Daily Mail posts some racist bile and how many tweets, comments and retweet’s they get supporting their unpleasant views. Does that make it a popular view in the UK, or is it just the usual idiots jumping on the bandwagon.
As much as we’re joking, there’s actually an extremely serious discussion to be had around that guardian article.

They’re essentially a major UK newspaper doing the bidding of the Russian government by printing what is blatantly state propaganda.

They have done exactly what Russia hopes to achieve through its agenda of online misinformation.

They’re either grossly naive, hideously incompetent or there’s something more sinister. I think it’s the former but either way it’s dangerous and reflects extremely badly on any journalists involved.

As much as we’re joking, there’s actually an extremely serious discussion to be had around that guardian article.

They’re essentially a major UK newspaper doing the bidding of the Russian government by printing what is blatantly state propaganda.

They have done exactly what Russia hopes to achieve through its agenda of online misinformation.

They’re either grossly naive, hideously incompetent or there’s something more sinister. I think it’s the former but either way it’s dangerous and reflects extremely badly on any journalists involved.

This?

OK, I think your reading of that is radically different to mine!

There's a couple of points being made; firstly that anti western sentiment is widespread in China and that results in support for Russia.

Second that voices dissenting from that are censored.

I don't think either of those perspectives are surprising or controversial?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.