Russian invasion of Ukraine

This whole thread has been both disturbing and fascinating at the same time, with some much better informed posters than I am. For what it's worth, I don't think a deployment of Russian tactical nukes would result in a nuclear response from NATO. I think NATO would more likely carry out a direct attack using conventional forces, perhaps destroy the Black Sea Fleet for example, there is the capability to do this as I understand it. Also Russias tactical nukes would be deployed using cruise missiles which can be taken out with Ukraines existing air defenses, to be honest though I can't see what advantage Russia would get from using them, what would they attack? Tactical nukes are for taking out enemy concentrations like a carrier group or tank column, Ukraine keep their forces widely distributed only comming together when attacked or to mount a counter offensive.
It would take a brave person in NATO to launch retaliatory nukes against Russia if they used tactical nukes on Ukraine. It would a very difficult decision to make, and would end up in all of NATO being drawn into WWIII. There's a lot of talk about NATO destroying Russia's Black Sea fleet. What is the strategic importance of the black sea fleet, and does it include submarines?

Medvedev says the west wouldn't dare respo d to nukes on Ukraine.

I wouldn't bet on that.
It maybe wouldn't be a nuclear response, but the result would be devastating on Russia's attempt to seize huge chunks of Ukraine.
If they dropped nukes on the separatist regions of Ukraine, wouldn’t that mean that, now with the dodgy referendums, he is killing his own people?

This whole thread has been both disturbing and fascinating at the same time, with some much better informed posters than I am. For what it's worth, I don't think a deployment of Russian tactical nukes would result in a nuclear response from NATO. I think NATO would more likely carry out a direct attack using conventional forces, perhaps destroy the Black Sea Fleet for example, there is the capability to do this as I understand it. Also Russias tactical nukes would be deployed using cruise missiles which can be taken out with Ukraines existing air defenses, to be honest though I can't see what advantage Russia would get from using them, what would they attack? Tactical nukes are for taking out enemy concentrations like a carrier group or tank column, Ukraine keep their forces widely distributed only comming together when attacked or to mount a counter offensive.
I think Lviv in Western Ukraine is probably the Russian target should they nuke Ukraine. Well away from Russia (but not Belarus).
Most western arms and ammunition goes through it.
That said it is far too close to Poland, Hungary, etc. That would be tantamount to declaration of war on NATO.

TV presenter get drafted. Interesting quote from said presenter

Solovyov claimed that Russia has "enough firepower for the full annihilation of the Ukrainian military infrastructure without an incursion of forces into Ukrainian territory. But we aren't preparing to do this."He later voiced support for Putin's invasion of Ukraine, saying that "Today is the day that a righteous operation was launched for the de-Nazifiction in Ukraine"

I so so hope that they are the real subtitles/transaltion as that fucker is the embodiment of the sycophantic brainwashing that has cursed and corrupted the general Russian population.
The "don't you know who I am"...(my personal No1 annoyance when i have had people say that to me) to the comment about "plenty of ethnic minorities".
But my cynical mind and being wary of propoganda from both sides, says that even Solovyev wouldnt say that

TV presenter get drafted. Interesting quote from said presenter

Solovyov claimed that Russia has "enough firepower for the full annihilation of the Ukrainian military infrastructure without an incursion of forces into Ukrainian territory. But we aren't preparing to do this."He later voiced support for Putin's invasion of Ukraine, saying that "Today is the day that a righteous operation was launched for the de-Nazifiction in Ukraine"

EDIT : @BlueHammer85 mentioned it's a fake

Surely that can’t be real and edited in a certain way?

If they are the thoughts of the ‘powerful’, what chances have those who have to live off the land.

Big build up of Russian troops in the Belgorad Oblast over the border from Kharkiv. Looks like they're going to have another try at taking Karkiv again.
It will be interesting to see what they attack with.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.