Russian invasion of Ukraine

Russia is a country that has never faced up to its shitty past. They have a very very warped view of world history.

Agree - Russia is facing prolonged and steady defeat. They need a way out but all options look like defeat for Putin. He has no good options and I don't expect him to make any decisions based on the best interests of anyone but himself. Long drawn out stalemate seems like all he can do when withdrawal would be better for literally everyone else.

So why would Ukraine offer him anything. At best I see them offering a cease fire to withdraw. But then what about Crimea? And what about Russia paying for the cost of the clean up.
Putin lives in a fantasy land, as does his ignorant proletariat.

He can claim victory and leave Ukraine tomorrow, and the masses will lap it up.

Russia is a country that has never faced up to its shitty past. They have a very very warped view of world history.

Agree - Russia is facing prolonged and steady defeat. They need a way out but all options look like defeat for Putin. He has no good options and I don't expect him to make any decisions based on the best interests of anyone but himself. Long drawn out stalemate seems like all he can do when withdrawal would be better for literally everyone else.

So why would Ukraine offer him anything. At best I see them offering a cease fire to withdraw. But then what about Crimea? And what about Russia paying for the cost of the clean up.
Agree with that and this is a recent clip of one of their more recent state talk shows where at least there is some acknowledgement on a public stage that russia has historically never actually won a war on its own when trying to explain the difficult headwinds they have faced in Ukraine.

I note he misses out russia's collaboration at the outset of WW2 with the nazis when he talks about their anti-hitler collaborations.

Gianni Infantino has called for a ceasefire in the war (which is admirable) so that diplomatic talks can take place between the 2 countries.
It's a very slim chance that this will happen though, I think.

1.) Putin would see an organised withdrawal of forces as a defeat and loss of face.

2.) His forces being overwhelmed and kicked out of Ukraine would also be seen as a loss of face. (Possibly even moreso.)

3.) Although well meaning, a cessation of hostilities would enable the Russians to re-arm and recuperate, prolonging the war.

The ball is in Zelenskys' possession and he too has a face to save.
He needs to be cautious and be prepared to make a grand conciliatory gesture to end the war.
Infantino, such a statesman, man of the people wanting football to bring all people together!
...And perhaps hoping that some of his oligarch buddies may get their accounts unfrozen soon!

As for an conciliatory gesture by Zelensky, I'm not sure anythign he could do or say would actually be meangingful at this stage. He could offer forgiveness for the rape and pillage of his country, but the wider world community will not forget, nor will the courts when those war crimes come before them!
The cost to the Russian people/nation as a whole for Putins folly will be ongoing for decades and spo again, I'm not sure that anythign that Zelensky could offer would give Putin any thoughts that he isnt completely fucked.

Agree with that and this is a recent clip of one of their more recent state talk shows where at least there is some acknowledgement on a public stage that russia has historically never actually won a war on its own when trying to explain the difficult headwinds they have faced in Ukraine.

I note he misses out russia's collaboration at the outset of WW2 with the nazis when he talks about their anti-hitler collaborations.

Russia were essentially the Nazis ally for 2 years, infact Russia were delivering supplies to Nazi Germany till the day beforeOperation Barbarossa. But, Ukrainians also helped the Nazis, the fact Ukrainians were guards were at the Death camps was suppressed on Stalins request. And they also assisted the Commies, they got my family sent to the GuLag.

If I were Zelensky, i'd also be calling for a major de-militarisation of Russia. Enough left to defend themselves from attack, but never to have the capacity to invade another nation again.

Naturally this is a pipe dream, Putin and Russia would never agree to it. But as others have said, Russia will spend the next 5-10 years better preparing for another attempt, which is why it is imperative that in that time whilst Russia inevitably re-arms, Ukraine is a fully pledged and supported member of NATO.

Russia were essentially the Nazis ally for 2 years, infact Russia were delivering supplies to Nazi Germany till the day beforeOperation Barbarossa. But, Ukrainians also helped the Nazis, the fact Ukrainians were guards were at the Death camps was suppressed on Stalins request. And they also assisted the Commies, they got my family sent to the GuLag.
Technically so were the Finns, but that was mostly because Ukrainians and Finns saw Soviet Russia as the bigger threat, not because they agreed with any Nazi ideals. Had the Western Allies been operating in Eastern Europe, you can bet the Ukrainians would have sided with the Americans and British against both the Nazis and the Soviets.

Gianni Infantino has called for a ceasefire in the war (which is admirable) so that diplomatic talks can take place between the 2 countries.
It's a very slim chance that this will happen though, I think.

1.) Putin would see an organised withdrawal of forces as a defeat and loss of face.

2.) His forces being overwhelmed and kicked out of Ukraine would also be seen as a loss of face. (Possibly even moreso.)

3.) Although well meaning, a cessation of hostilities would enable the Russians to re-arm and recuperate, prolonging the war.

The ball is in Zelenskys' possession and he too has a face to save.
He needs to be cautious and be prepared to make a grand conciliatory gesture to end the war.
Even if Putin agreed to an organised withdrawal, why would anyone trust him to do so when he's broken his word and agreements so many times!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.