Russian invasion of Ukraine

CNN stating U.S intelligence have information that the Russian withdrawal from Kherson was held back for 2 weeks due to the mid term elections so as not to help Biden

Agree with that and this is a recent clip of one of their more recent state talk shows where at least there is some acknowledgement on a public stage that russia has historically never actually won a war on its own when trying to explain the difficult headwinds they have faced in Ukraine.

I note he misses out russia's collaboration at the outset of WW2 with the nazis when he talks about their anti-hitler collaborations.

I’m sure the sheers size of Russia and its federation causes the same challenges to it fighting an external war as it does to those it would wish to invade it.

Technically so were the Finns, but that was mostly because Ukrainians and Finns saw Soviet Russia as the bigger threat, not because they agreed with any Nazi ideals. Had the Western Allies been operating in Eastern Europe, you can bet the Ukrainians would have sided with the Americans and British against both the Nazis and the Soviets.
Having been to Estonia there was a surprisingly large amount of Nazi memorabilia on sale. Would the Ukrainians have supported the Allies given they got a large part of their territory thanks to Stalin? The fact Poland is being so helpful towards Ukraine is understandable, it needs a buffer from Russia, the charity being shown by the people is touching, given the tense relations between the countries. Especially as Ukrainians have been waving the UPA flag on occasions. This whole situation is bizarre to me, my family are refugees from “Ukraine” one of my great Aunts were sent to Rwanda by the Brits after escaping the Gulags. History has a knack of repeating itself, unfortunately.

Even if Putin agreed to an organised withdrawal, why would anyone trust him to do so when he's broken his word and agreements so many times!
That is exactly the point, agreements and deals with Russia have meaning or worth or value. Remember that Russia had a signed an agreement in place to guarantee Ukrainian territorial integrity in exchange for it giving up its nuclear weapons - and still invaded.

Trusting them is foolish and only Ukraine joining NATO would give any security against them breaching whatever peace deal they may arrive at.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.