Russian invasion of Ukraine

Further to my last post. I believe successive British Governments allowed the Northern Ireland 'troubles' to continue for years as it was good for business. It meant we could develop and refine, weapons, training, equipment and show the world how well they performed in actual conflict. We then sold it and made a fortune.
I worry the west especially the Americans are doing that now with Ukraine.

It cost the state around £30bn in security for the troubles, the UK sold around £3bn* in equipment etc that could be considered “field tested” during the troubles. That’s a £27bn loss. Not great business, so when you say “made a fortune” you actually mean “lost a fortune”. There is no doubt having the ability to see how weapons perform under combat is incredibly useful.

*Granted a few broad strokes in this number.

It cost the state around £30bn in security for the troubles, the UK sold around £3bn* in equipment etc that could be considered “field tested” during the troubles. That’s a £27bn loss. Not great business, so when you say “made a fortune” you actually mean “lost a fortune”. There is no doubt having the ability to see how weapons perform under combat is incredibly useful.

I don't think you need a domestic war to test military hardware. There is always a war on somewhere, usually in Africa.

Not sure if you included the cost of insurance which had to be subsidized by the rest of the UK.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.