Russian invasion of Ukraine

The core stuff is plutonium which has a long half life. But they also use tritium or others as catalysts and they have a 12 year half life. So after 12 years only half the material is left and it might be a dud, depends on what they have tested and how much catalyst you need. It's all closely guarded secrets, but what I saw suggests the US is suspected of keeping stuff less than 10 years. And that if Russia has significant stockpiles of older stuff it might not go off. Seems plausible.
I can assure you the US and UK keep warheads much longer than that.

I suspect Russian warheads are perfectly serviceable

Slava Ukraini.

I like how he says ‘they started it first’ when talking about the bridge in Crimea. He seems to forget the 8 months of indiscriminate attacks on infrastructure, hospitals, schools, houses that took place before that by his army before the bridge got hit. Not much of a statesman is he and only seems to have credibility in places like North Korea, Syria, China and Iran.

Further to my last post. I believe successive British Governments allowed the Northern Ireland 'troubles' to continue for years as it was good for business. It meant we could develop and refine, weapons, training, equipment and show the world how well they performed in actual conflict. We then sold it and made a fortune.
I worry the west especially the Americans are doing that now with Ukraine.
Spot on Misty

@feedmpenzaandhewillscore
I agree with your concern over the US discouraging attacks within the border. Originally I thought it was fear of a nuclear attack by Russia but now it is clear that isn't the case. As I said earlier, are they prolonging the war to test new weapons, (at the expense of Ukrainian soldiers)
Disagree on that proposition. Yes it is a useful consequence that Putin has provided an opportunity to test western weaponry whilst exposing inadequacies in Russian but to extrapolate that to a deliberate strategy is far fetched imo.

See the nonce is using the nuke threat yet again, yawn. How many times is it now? But he adds a little caveat, it won't be him that uses them first. Oh so they won't get used then.
Don’t know about the little caveat, but expect putin gets a semi on every time he utters the word nuke.

I can assure you the US and UK keep warheads much longer than that.

I suspect Russian warheads are perfectly serviceable
Modern nuclear weapons use lithium deuteride and the tritium for fusion is produced in the lithium by neutrons from the initial fission stage. Hence, no issues with long term storage as there is no tritium to degrade.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.