Russian invasion of Ukraine

Just watched a programme on a European channel about the fighting in bakmut and all around the Donbas . God it’s fucking brutal with both sides going at it toe to toe and no one giving an inch . Massive casualties on both sides .

Now you know why Europe isn't too keen to hand Ukraine over.. because if there's food scarcity.. there will be a lot more human migration than what you have now.

"Europe" (and USA) was quite prepared to do nothing when the invasion happened.
We all sat back expecting a swift defeat and consoling ourselves nothing could be done as it would have risked WW3.
Then the Ukraine fought back. After two weeks, we realised Russia didn't expect that.
So we all started supplying some weapons.
Once we saw what a shitshow Russia's "mighty" army was, it was suddenly vogue to ramp up all forms of support.

I'm not saying we didn't do stuff to help before the invasion.
But there was no plan to stop Russia for the sake of food supplies.
We did nothing about Crimea. Again because we didn't want to provoke Putin.
All that did is embolden him to go further.

Now we realise that we have no alternative than to confront him. He isn't going to stop.
So we are strangling him economically. Arming the Ukraine to the teeth. Openly discussing further help.
This isn't to stop Putin directly. This is to encourage people within Russia to take action.
It is also to show other rogue nations that the world won't sit back and let them invade peaceful countries.

"Europe" (and USA) was quite prepared to do nothing when the invasion happened.
We all sat back expecting a swift defeat and consoling ourselves nothing could be done as it would have risked WW3.
Then the Ukraine fought back. After two weeks, we realised Russia didn't expect that.
So we all started supplying some weapons.
Once we saw what a shitshow Russia's "mighty" army was, it was suddenly vogue to ramp up all forms of support.

I'm not saying we didn't do stuff to help before the invasion.
But there was no plan to stop Russia for the sake of food supplies.
We did nothing about Crimea. Again because we didn't want to provoke Putin.
All that did is embolden him to go further.

Now we realise that we have no alternative than to confront him. He isn't going to stop.
So we are strangling him economically. Arming the Ukraine to the teeth. Openly discussing further help.
This isn't to stop Putin directly. This is to encourage people within Russia to take action.
It is also to show other rogue nations that the world won't sit back and let them invade peaceful countries.

Very true!

And as many have said and suggested.. we can do a lot more but our leaders at the moment are choosing to "not escalate".

If they really wanted, this war could be resolved a lot sooner than later but we're trying the death by a 1000 cuts rather than the jugular!

I've read that the Soviet Union soldiers and aviators intervened in large numbers to preserve North Korea and killed a lot of Americans in the Korean war, and that didn't start WWIII ~ but they did indeed pretend to be Chinese and Korean rather than Russian to provide a thin veneer of deniability, including always using false colors and uniforms.

Wars are the new geopolitical power grabs.. so this war won't end anytime soon.

Russia viewpoint is.. it had oil, but the world is moving away from fossil fuels. Putin has reasoned the world might want to do without oil, but can they do without food? So he wants to grab Ukraine and make the world pay!

Well guess what.. he's right! People can live without gas and oil, they can live without money, but they can't live without food and water!

Now you know why Europe isn't too keen to hand Ukraine over.. because if there's food scarcity.. there will be a lot more human migration than what you have now.

So best you can hope for, is that you help Ukraine destroy Russia's military might and don't give it access to a critical natural resource.

Don't feel too bad though, we get to sit at home, complain about high energy prices and City selling Leroy Sane while our worst enemy is engaged in a very long bloody war.

So what’s in it for the Ukrainians ?

Why is the decision better to be at war than cosy up to Russia ?

I mean 2 years ago life in Ukraine is good & the current war is surely the worst scenario.

So what’s in it for the Ukrainians ?

Why is the decision better to be at war than cosy up to Russia ?

I mean 2 years ago life in Ukraine is good & the current war is surely the worst scenario.
“Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.”
Cosying up to the Russians would mean that Georgia would have to do the same, then the Baltic States, then possibly Poland; then who? Not a good prospect.

”We shall fight them on the beach, and in the street. We shall fight them in the fields and in the hills…….We shall never surrender.”
Slava Ukraini.

Last edited:
“Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.”
Cosying up to the Russians would mean that Georgia would have to do the same, then the Baltic States, then possibly Poland; then who? Not a good prospect.

”We shall fight them on the beach, and in the street. We shall fight them in the fields and in the hills…….We shall never surrender.”
Slava Ukraini.

i remember being full of bravado then I had kids & i put their safety first. Someone breaks in my house I make the decision that keeps them safe not what I want & certainly not the neighbours.

i remember being full of bravado then I had kids & i put their safety first. Someone breaks in my house I make the decision that keeps them safe not what I want & certainly not the neighbours.
Allowing the big powerful bully to do what they want is the answer in life then?

If this war is about food rather than oil what are the odds that the deranged Mr Putin as a last defiant gesture contaminates the bread basket of europe with radioactive material?

Polomaris in North East Andalucia, Spain, is still radioactive after USA accidentally dropped nuclear bombs there in 1964 and contaminated its growing land with plutonium.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.