Russian invasion of Ukraine

I cant find it again now but I read an article this morning, stating that the company that makes the Leopards are saying if they started today, tanks wont be ready to ship till early 2024.

You would think that Germany has at least some up and running to ship tho.
Slava Ukraini.

Germany are about to decommission and mothball 93 Tornado fighter jets.
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Andrii Melnyk,has asked why they are not being sent to Ukraine.

Slava Ukraini.
Timescales, Logistics, pilot and groundcrew training, pilot availability, groundcrew availability, parts availability and supply... would be a few reasons.

Planes are self evidently a bigger logistical issue than tanks.

The reason Ukraine has been trickle supplied with Russian built/designed planes/tanks is because its far easier for Ukraine to integrate them, as they already have them - so all the manpower and logistic support knows what they are dealing with and how to utilize.

Chucking a mish-mash of limited numbers high quality planes/tanks at Ukraine would look good on paper, but the logistics don't stack up.

Even 'lowly' traditional artillery (where Ukraine needs a lot more based on the trends of equipment balances... ) is a bit of nightmare, as having the odd NATO standard piece will have different ammunition sizes to the majority of existing Russian era Ukrainian.

Planes are self evidently a bigger logistical issue than tanks.

I'm absolutely no expert, but I would have guessed the opposite - planes need only a very small number of fixed and well defended airfields to be capable of maintaining and supplying the infrastructure, whereas tanks need to be maintained and supplied close to the font of a constantly moving battlefield under attack. But like I say, just an uninformed guess.

I think training happens well before the pieces of kit are announced.
Ukraines 47th Brigade are well under way with their training on the Bradley.

Slava Ukraini.
German n-tv quoted UA MoD
that 100 Ukranians have been trained on Leo 2
already back last summer.

Makes sense to be prepared, no idea if true though.

I'm absolutely no expert, but I would have guessed the opposite - planes need only a very small number of fixed and well defended airfields to be capable of maintaining and supplying the infrastructure, whereas tanks need to be maintained and supplied close to the font of a constantly moving battlefield under attack. But like I say, just an uninformed guess.
I’d say planes are more technical in there use (the pilot), the ordnance, the overall maintenance and upkeep (far higher standard than a vehicle) , and the training required for all of that to be capable of delivering a worthwhile platform for this particular war.

Edit: regarding tanks, there is normally a minor repair shop close to the front iirc, and then further back bigger maintenance bases, with vehicles capable of hauling tanks from the front. I would hope there’s plenty of these bases due to the need to turn around Ukrainian tank issues as well as return to combat the large quantities of captured Russian tanks… though that’s clearly reduced in the past 4-5 months.

Last edited:
I’d say planes are more technical in there use (the pilot), the ordnance, the overall maintenance and upkeep (far higher standard than a vehicle) , and the training required for all of that to be capable of delivering a worthwhile platform for this particular war.

Edit: regarding tanks, there is normally a minor repair shop close to the front iirc, and then further back bigger maintenance bases, with vehicles capable of hauling tanks from the front. I would hope there’s plenty of these bases due to the need to turn around Ukrainian tank issues as well as return to combat the large quantities of captured Russian tanks… though that’s clearly reduced in the past 4-5 months.
1673872770818.jpeg

I used to work in military logistics and a plane was once described to me as "tens of thousands of components flying in close formation". The maintenance schedule to keep one airworthy (even Russian ones) is absolutely insane and it's 100 times worse for a military aircraft compared with a commercial one.
Get one thing wrong and the plane falls out of the sky. A tank, armored vehicle or artilary piece by comparison is a mere bagatelle.

I used to work in military logistics and a plane was once described to me as "tens of thousands of components flying in close formation". The maintenance schedule to keep one airworthy (even Russian ones) is absolutely insane and it's 100 times worse for a military aircraft compared with a commercial one.
Get one thing wrong and the plane falls out of the sky. A tank, armored vehicle or artilary piece by comparison is a mere bagatelle.

Descriptions of these modern tanks sound like that too, but like i say, I know bugger all about it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.