Russian invasion of Ukraine

Great Post.
I would also like to add something that's seems to never get discussed.

We see it mentioned all the time that Russia has unlimited manpower but Ukrianes manpower never seems to be debated.

I see it like this, Russia has struggled to equip and command around 500k soldiers since the war began and therefore adding another 500k would seem to me a very difficult task for them.

Really don't see how they can ever have more than a million men available never mind being actually useful and motivated.

However Ukriane has a population of 40m and as a guess they would have about 5m men of fighting age.

Add to this they will be very motivated, equipped by the west, trained by the west and led by what seems very intelligent and motivated commanders.

They also lose men at a much much slower rate than the Russians.

In summary I have no idea why people keep saying Russia has a manpower advantage.
I don't think it works like that,to quote a line from Game of thrones

"If war were arithmetic, the mathematicians would rule the world".

Numbers play an important role but there's so much at play here behind the scene. It's not really a 1 v 1 situation.

Ok, I'll explain it one more time.

It takes 1 unhappy MAGA republic to table a motion to withdraw McCarthy as speaker and 4 to bring the entire congress to a halt by refusing to vote for him.

That's it. 4.

So again. It doesn't matter if some of them have integrity. A lot more than 4 don't.
And?
The new Republican chairman of both the defence committee and foreign affairs committees made it clear as to their traditional Republican views on Ukraine.
They won't be playing political games with Ukraine. You think they will. I know they won't judging by those comments.
My last word on the subject!

Last edited:
I haven't read it (to many cookies to disable) But i can imagine the fear mongering it gives.

No matter the nuclear threats being bandied about by the Russian muppets, they all know Russia itself isn't under threat. At least not directly by conflict.
They know the war can stop tomorrow if they withdraw.
So people who write the (i assume) utter garbage in articles like that, are just click bait merchants.

The truth is, even the most hardened Russians know starting a Nuclear war is absolutely pointless. It would be complete suicide. So unless Nato decides to enter Russia, then at no point will Nukes be on the agenda.

The bigger threat to Russia right now is financial. Wars are not always won on the battlefield. A war needs funding.
Putin thought he had that covered. Apart from building a war chest, he thought our reliance on oil and gas was enough to prevent us taking any real action in the Ukraine.
He was actually right on one front. If the "Special Military Operation" had been swift and victorious, would we have done anything about it?
No, we would have banded about a few sanctions. A few very harshly written letters to Moscow.
But the world would have moved on and the gas and oil would have kept flowing.

As things stand right now. Russia is failing economically. Russian people may support a war when it largely doesn't affect them. But it's coming home and getting closer. Pluck some conscripts from rural areas and nobody cares. Start picking young men from the higher/wealthier classes and it will be noticed.
Then tell them their money is worthless, and all types of questions will start to be asked. There will be a unstoppable groundswell of revolt.

Our best strategy is to just keep supporting the Ukraine. The Ukraine doesn't even need to gain any ground.
If we stand firm with them, Russia will self implode. It is just a matter of time.
Peter Hitchens is an intelligent and opinionated man . He spent many years in Russia and was a paid up communist member. He is still very pro Russian and I listen to him if only to confirm my view that on this he's talking through his arse.

Peter Hitchens is an intelligent and opinionated man . He spent many years in Russia and was a paid up communist member. He is still very pro Russian and I listen to him if only to confirm my view that on this he's talking through his arse.
Hitchens has been all over the place politically. Once a paid up communist, then a Labour party member, then a Tory party member and would be candidate. He is no longer a member of any party but calls himself a Burkian conservative. He thinks the currentTory party is just Blairite.
He opposed Covid retrictions and jabs, he opposes current thinking on climate change. He opposes same sex marriage.
He is against UK involvement in Ukraine believing that Crimea is Russian and that Ukraine is a hotbed of Ukraine nationalists who make life difficult for ethnic Russians there.
He is bonkers, allegedly.

Hitchens has been all over the place politically. Once a paid up communist, then a Labour party member, then a Tory party member and would be candidate. He is no longer a member of any party but calls himself a Burkian conservative. He thinks the currentTory party is just Blairite.
He opposed Covid retrictions and jabs, he opposes current thinking on climate change. He opposes same sex marriage.
He is against UK involvement in Ukraine believing that Crimea is Russian and that Ukraine is a hotbed of Ukraine nationalists who make life difficult for ethnic Russians there.
He is bonkers, allegedly.
No allegedly about it.

Review Day 333:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.