Russian invasion of Ukraine

It is
russian and belarrusian athletes may be at the 2024 olympics according to the ioc.

Given the current state of affairs that is a disgrace.

Disgraceful from the ioc
. They’re probably too scared of offending anyone ffs. There’s going to be trans athletes and drug cheat Russians winning everything!

Not quite the actuallity
1. Russia mobilised first in WW1 and they were preparing to attack Austro-Hungary (the fact AH invaded first is neither here nor there). Germany declared war to support AH.
2. In WW2, Russia expected a war and was planning to attack Germany - but not until late 1942 when it's army reforms in light of the Finish winter war were complete.

You're bang on about the mental hang-ups of the Germans as a result of their defeat in WW2 mind. 2 mega failures in a row (WW1 and WW2), the massive damage to Germany from allied bombing, the major German military casualtiess, the shame of racial massacres and Russian actions in Germany at the end of the war are embedded in their psyche.
Point 2 is wrong. Historians have found no evidence whatsoever for even plans to attack the German Reich.

I'm genuinely proud of Britains' response to Russia's invasion. I think the Germans (and the French) need to either hold their leaders to account or hold their heads in shame.

History won't look back fondly on a country that cowers to bullies.

Point 2 is wrong. Historians have found no evidence whatsoever for even plans to attack the German Reich.
True for 1941 and most of 1942. Not 1943 onwards.
The Soviet General Staff Supreme Command (Stavka) met in April 1940 to review the lessons of the Finnish campaign and recommended reforms in terms of military command structures (reduced role for comisasars, promotion through military excellence etc), tactics (more artilary and much better combined arms deployment) and equipment (arms, clothing) and logistics.
The conclusion was that Russia MUST avoid war with Germany till mid to late 1942 - even though they knew war was inevitable.
The rapid defeat of France a month later came as a massive shock to the Russians and made them even keener to avoid war in the short to medium term.
The reforms were only partially complete when Nazi Germany attacked.

Last edited:
It’s also worth mentioning that your point one there extends to wanting to be pacifist wherever possible in general. One thing they deserve a lot of credit for is how many displaced refugees they’ve taken in, the support needed isn’t just military.

Indeed. The EU (and therefore Germany) are also effectively paying for the Ukrainian state at the moment AIUI, though I don't have a full understanding of how it's being financed.

I'm genuinely proud of Britains' response to Russia's invasion. I think the Germans (and the French) need to either hold their leaders to account or hold their heads in shame.

History won't look back fondly on a country that cowers to bullies.
Can I refer you to my post above at #40,056. My points about German sensitivity seem to be agreed with by other posters. The chancellor has received plenty of criticism internally, but they have done plenty on the humanitarian, health and social aspects.
About 30% of German citizens are not supportive of them arming Ukraine.
They have also committed to spend a lot more on defence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.