Russian invasion of Ukraine

There is some very,very good sources on twitter.
I dont have an account,but you can look.
I get a lot from Ukraine itself,my cousin defends Avdiivka,Donetsk Region..alongside 1000s more gladiators,has done since 2015.
He got to know plenty from 72nd mech brigade as he fought along side them at Avdiivka.
So,yeah,i get bits, a bit like Tolmies Hairdoo in the tranfer stuff.
Like transfers though,shit changes on a daily/ hourly basis.
I can post 1 minute,and 2 mins later,its all changed.

Slava Ukraini.
Thanks Spiderboy, all the best to you and your family. Especially your cousin.

NATO squabbling cannot be good.
Erdogan is a ****.
Another autocratic leader, a bit like Victor Orban in Hungary both siding with Putin where possible. Interestingly the Serbian leader Vucic has allied his country much closer to western policy , and traditionally Serbia is probably Russias' biggest ally in Europe. But there again he is elected and not grimly hanging onto power like Erdoğan and Orban.

Throw in North Korea and Iran into the equation and it very much looks as if Dictators seem to like the company of their own. Safety in numbers I suppose.

Another autocratic leader, a bit like Victor Orban in Hungary both siding with Putin where possible. Interestingly the Serbian leader Vucic has allied his country much closer to western policy , and traditionally Serbia is probably Russias' biggest ally in Europe. But there again he is elected and not grimly hanging onto power like Erdoğan and Orban.

Throw in North Korea and Iran into the equation and it very much looks as if Dictators seem to like the company of their own. Safety in numbers I suppose.
We have been in an ideological war of Democracy v Autocracy for decades now with the likes of China,russia,N.Korea, Iran and it's very much open for debate whether Hungary/Turkey are actually fully functioning democracies.

One of the main reasons putin invaded Ukraine was that he did not want a free democratic Ukraine prospering in sphere of the EU on his doorstep with all the connections the two countries have had .He knew his own citizens would soon be asking questions as to why russian living standards are significantly worse to a country that was once welded to theirs.

Assad nods in agreement

We have been in an ideological war of Democracy v Autocracy for decades now with the likes of China,russia,N.Korea, Iran and it's very much open for debate whether Hungary/Turkey are actually fully functioning democracies.

One of the main reasons putin invaded Ukraine was that he did not want a free democratic Ukraine prospering in sphere of the EU on his doorstep with all the connections the two countries have had .He knew his own citizens would soon be asking questions as to why russian living standards are significantly worse to a country that was once welded to theirs.
There was a very interesting interview a wile back on R4 re Iran. Forget who the Iranian was but she basically said the problem the regime had was the Internet. The higher middle classes want new technologies and its hard to allow some people access and not others, and hard to control what peoplehave access to. In short the current generation increasingly know the truth of their lives vs the rest of the world. As the prevalence of smart phones grows the regime will keep losing support. A tipping point will come.

There was a very interesting interview a wile back on R4 re Iran. Forget who the Iranian was but she basically said the problem the regime had was the Internet. The higher middle classes want new technologies and its hard to allow some people access and not others, and hard to control what peoplehave access to. In short the current generation increasingly know the truth of their lives vs the rest of the world. As the prevalence of smart phones grows the regime will keep losing support. A tipping point will come.
Agreed, but these autocratic regimes will always go down the heavy censorship route with general media and even if the younger generation can circumnavigate the controls with vpns etc I am not sure it‘s enough to reach critical mass across all generations/classes for a widely supported revolution needed for regime change just yet.

russia is an interesting point in case here because there is a whole swathe Of under 60s who will have had access already to free media and online social content prior to the total media shutdown by putin since last Feb (although he has systematically been eroding free speech for the last decade). russians are much more heavily influenced from a young age at school about issues like The Great Patriotic War and the Napoleonic wars creating a them and us mentality. putin never let’s an opportunity go by to cross reference those historical reminders in any anti western tirade he delivers to his domestic audience.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.