Russian invasion of Ukraine

Going to get pelters regarding the UAE abstaining. Football not important in the grand scheme but it’s not a great look to be fair and will shine a light on City.

I try to not mix politics with my football, but this has stung a bit.
Did you hear the comments of the UAE representative? She was pretty clear that the Russian action was wrong and that the territorial integrity of member states had to be respected.

They have an excellent relationship with Russia and sometimes a critical friend having a quiet word can be more effective than someone hostile screaming in your face. I'd be more interested in what they're saying to Putin privately than meaningless gestures in the useless UN talking shop.

Anyone else picking up vibes from Washington that, even if Russia attacked a NATO partner, the US wouldn't want to get involved in a war with Russia?
Don’t know what vibes I’m getting from the US at all. In a press conference the other day, an Indian news reporter asked a question to Biden and he didn’t have a clue how to answer it. It was like he’d never heard of India (I’m sure he even said “where?”!)

Stoltenberg seemed unequivocal (even though he does that strange standing sideways thing in pressers… and he sounds like Solksjaer) that if Russia attacked a NATO country that all NATO countries would retaliate as one.

This is one of the most intresting things to come out of the invasion, if the numbers are even close to being true.

Russia is still very much in the tank age of warfare. If the US Javelin and the Rb57/NLAW are effective against the heavy T90s etc then it will be concering for the Russian army, to say the least.

These are a 2 man bit of kit that can be transported by car or eve horse, if it goes over to a guerrilla war and the Ukranians can get a decent supply it could be a very costly war for Russia.

There’s a fascinating thread on Twitter from an American tank engineer about how old and ineffective tanks actually are. The jist is that they look really cool but are mostly decades old heaps of shit that are pretty easily disabled.

He said “Do you think the US will alienate their only ally in the sub-continent?”

So take it up with him. I couldn’t personally care what India or don’t do, they’re a complete irrelevance as a country as far as I’m concerned.

As you was in q convesation chain I re0lied in reference more to your original comment below
Some ally when you do fuck all and can’t even criticise Russia. What good are India?

We are not allied with India when it comes to conficts overseas so why would we expect them to do as we do.

They have abstained for their own reasons, if it had been france or germany, out NATO ally I would hqve been dumbfounded, India, China and UAE I don't find an odd decision, but doesn't mean I agree with it.

Wonder how Zinchenko would feel to hear that vote result. If I was him, I’d be handing in my notice.
His employer is Manchester City, not the UAE state.

And you massively misinterpret the UAE intentions anyway. This is is not backing for Russia. They just strive to be independent. The British and Americans are losing influence in the Arab world. They don't have the resources or expertise to finance development any more. The nuclear power stations are b8uilt in partnership with Korea. the UAE moon shot, and Mars science was done first with help from the US universities but they want to learn and to be free of foreign control. The Mars probe was launched from Japan. The Mars science is shared with Asia. Everything is about training up their own people. They don't care for Russia. But they want to be masters of their own destiny.

Ukraine is being dismembered just as Yugoslavia was. It will end up as Russian in the East around Donetsk and pro-European in the West. The answer for those unlucky enough to be involved is not to be a creature of a foreign power but to assert your own interests.

Did you hear the comments of the UAE representative? She was pretty clear that the Russian action was wrong and that the territorial integrity of member states had to be respected.

They have an excellent relationship with Russia and sometimes a critical friend having a quiet word can be more effective than someone hostile screaming in your face. I'd be more interested in what they're saying to Putin privately than meaningless gestures in the useless UN talking shop.

I doubt the UAE will make any difference to Putin’s calculations on Ukraine, privately or otherwise.

Wonder how Zinchenko would feel to hear that vote result. If I was him, I’d be handing in my notice.
Agreed - a v disappointing stance by them. Now is not the time for greed, monetary considerations and self-interests. Now is the time for a unified response against a maniacal tyrant.
Watch some joker spin this as the UAE establishing its "independence".

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.