Russian invasion of Ukraine

Not being funny but how do you know how troops have been lost in this conflict because all I hear is a load of bollox from sides claiming this and that look I mean if you just want to believe one side then that’s upto you but the horrible truth is atm Ukraine are losing thousands in this counteroffensive and are also losing lots of equipment as did he Russians during sone of there attacks but no one will believe that because it’s not what they want to want to hear . End of the day though one day this will end and then we will find out the truth
Yeah truth is the first casualty and undoubtedly we get mostly the good news here in the west.

But there are some good sources of information out there and they do quite confirm the heavy losses that the Russians are taking... They look at obituaries in Russia rather than believe what the Russians tells us and it paints a grim picture.

Give this guy a go. Totally unbiased, Danish military analyst, just tells the situation from a neutral pov.

Haven’t the Belarusian soldiers fighting for Ukraine vowed to topple Putins sidekick who runs Belarus ?
Was supposed to be an announcement on Saturday evening I recall from that Belarusian militia group about some kind of revolt but don’t think the announcement happened after prigy did a u turn. Pity really as Belarus looks salvageable as a state once they can get enough escape velocity from their neighbours.

But both countries did fight with Germany whether you like it or not . I accept Hungary did it but no one can accept Ukraine fought with Germany and if they did as did Hungary there is no shame in it as both countries had no choice .
Ukraine wasn’t even a sovereign country during WW2, it was a Soviet republic that was not in a position to formulate its own foreign policy. To say Ukraine fought with Germany during the war is totally misrepresenting history. That’s a fact not an opinion.
Just because a minority of Ukrainians shamefully collaborated with the Nazis does not mean that Ukraine opted to fight with Germany - unlike Hungary.

Was supposed to be an announcement on Saturday evening I recall from that Belarusian militia group about some kind of revolt but don’t think the announcement happened after prigy did a u turn. Pity really as Belarus looks salvageable as a state once they can get enough escape velocity from their neighbours.
Deffo . Really weird though how the focus switched to Belarus once Prig got close to Moscow. It’s like a move from somewhere inside the Kremlin last minute to throw the West from what really is going on ? Russian Roulette…….

Maybe Prigozhin is right but he is still a fascist pig, cruel and murderous.
He is indeed but he came close to ending this murderous mess Saturday night . The Kremlin somehow came back from the brink but how is the question!

Going off on a bit of a tangent but I’ve Been at home with a broken foot for nearly a week. Watched Homeland from start to finish on Netflix. Brilliant how many of the story lines were ahead of their time and fairly close to reality. From Afghanistan ti Russia and the Middle East.

Lot of noise coming out of Ukraine that Putin is going to make a number of statements tonight . Ukraine media insisting Putin is finished………

Lot of noise coming out of Ukraine that Putin is going to make a number of statements tonight . Ukraine media insisting Putin is finished………
I think I read somewhere that there are due to be 'elections' in Russia next year. Maybe his best way out is to announce that he won't be standing.

Ukraine wasn’t even a sovereign country during WW2, it was a Soviet republic that was not in a position to formulate its own foreign policy. To say Ukraine fought with Germany during the war is totally misrepresenting history. That’s a fact not an opinion.
Just because a minority of Ukrainians shamefully collaborated with the Nazis does not mean that Ukraine opted to fight with Germany - unlike Hungary.
I know @Paul1970 clearly has an attachment to his homeland of Hungary, to to conflate how Hungary acted prior and during WWII to Ukraine's stance being just a republic of the Soviet's who engaged in ethnic and cultural cleansing to remove the Ukraine nationality (same as now)...is just... unfactual.

The 1st paragraph of
During World War II, the Kingdom of Hungary was a member of the Axis powers.[1] In the 1930s, the Kingdom of Hungary relied on increased trade with Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany to pull itself out of the Great Depression. Hungarian politics and foreign policy had become more stridently nationalistic by 1938, and Hungary adopted an irredentist policy similar to Germany's, attempting to incorporate ethnic Hungarian areas in neighboring countries into Hungary. Hungary benefited territorially from its relationship with the Axis. Settlements were negotiated regarding territorial disputes with the Czechoslovak Republic, the Slovak Republic, and the Kingdom of Romania. On November 20, 1940, Hungary became the fourth member to join the Axis powers when it signed the Tripartite Pact.[2] The following year, Hungarian forces participated in the invasion of Yugoslavia and the invasion of the Soviet Union. Their participation was noted by German observers for its particular cruelty, with occupied peoples subjected to arbitrary violence. Hungarian volunteers were sometimes referred to as engaging in "murder tourism."
... I think is an apt summation of how Hungary acted...presumably longing for a return of the past, and their empire.

1956 is a whole new ballgame, however. As per the Prague Spring of 1968, it was an inevitable wipe out of national fervour. The 'West' wasn't going to intervene past the Iron curtain.

@Paul1970 Every nation has shame of their past... I doubt you'll find any nation other than maybe Bhutan that hasn't caused their neighbours crap for any number of reasons. Blindly washing away the past and conflating is not the way. Concilliation and embracing differences, is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.