Russian invasion of Ukraine

Has there been any news of a ship on fire between Crimea and the Ukraine coast ? I ask, as some of the satellite imagery I look at (used for detecting fires), has a fire in the middle of the sea about half way between Olenvika and the Ukraine/Romania border/coast, detected at 11:02 UTC today. The pixel in the image is about 1km square, so it's not likely to be something small, or it wouldn't be detected.

Screenshot 2023-07-05 154749.jpg

There are several other fires on land to the north.

You can also just make out Snake Island (tiny white dot to the left) that russia took at the start of the conflict.

Has there been any news of a ship on fire between Crimea and the Ukraine coast ? I ask, as some of the satellite imagery I look at (used for detecting fires), has a fire in the middle of the sea about half way between Olenvika and the Ukraine/Romania border/coast, detected at 11:02 UTC today. The pixel in the image is about 1km square, so it's not likely to be something small, or it wouldn't be detected.

View attachment 85542

There are several other fires on land to the north.

You can also just make out Snake Island (tiny white dot to the left) that russia took at the start of the conflict.

Oil spill from a damaged ship going up?

Oil spill from a damaged ship going up?
Possibly, oil spreads a long way on water surface, so if it had caught fire, it could be quite big, but it's very unusual to see a fire on this imagery on water, I use these quite a lot, and I've never seen it before, though generally I only look over land, so thats not to say it's never happened.

You can actually get some details of the fire from the imagery. It's not a particularly hot fire at just above 40 C, the one near Odessa on land is 60 C, but that could be mitigated by the relatively cools sea.

11:02
Latitude45.37101 °
Longitude30.92685 °
Brightness Temperature (Channel 21/22)314 Kelvin
Brightness Temperature (Channel 31)295.47 Kelvin
Fire Radiative Power8.13 MW
Detection Confidence60 %
Day/Night FlagDaytime Fire
Along-Scan Pixel Size1.1 km
Along-Track Pixel Size1.04 km
Acquisition Date2023-07-05
Acquisition Time11:02
SatelliteAqua
Collection and SourceCollection 6.1 Near Real-Time processing
Unique Identifier5448

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.