Russian invasion of Ukraine

I'm not sure if RuSSia have modified their reasons for this SMO/war recently, as they do seem to change them according to how they are doing or to fit in with public opinion. But I think that there really needs to be a big statemtn made by "the west"/NATO and all of Ukraines supporters.
They have all provided resources and assistance to Ukraine making them a part of this ...so why not make that small extra step?
Put NATO troops into the West of the country, or perhaps to the West of the Dnipro River. Purely for defensive, support and logistics. Surely this would then deter all the long range missle attacks on UKR infrastructure? It would remove any missguided attempts/ideas to launch attacks from Belarus and allow UKR to devote their efforts to the real front lines.
I appreciate that this is getting dangerously close to actual engagment in fighting, but with the resources already poured in, surely this would limit Russian drone attacks and allow for more focus.
Nope.
Ukraine can only become part of NATO once Russia has been kicked out of Ukraine.

Last edited:
Nope.
Ukraine can only become part of NATO once Russua has been kicked out of Ukraine.
I read that as Biden trying to move things along, he either wants progress or people to get around the table, if the Ukrainians make a decent push he will continue to support that angle, if there’s a stalemate he will push for negotiations and potential carve up of Ukraine, with them in turn joining nato etc, he won’t want this to run deep into election year 2024, especially if they’re in a similar place to now

I read that as Biden trying to move things along, he either wants progress or people to get around the table, if the Ukrainians make a decent push he will continue to support that angle, if there’s a stalemate he will push for negotiations and potential carve up of Ukraine, with them in turn joining nato etc, he won’t want this to run deep into election year 2024, especially if they’re in a similar place to now

I think this is all based off of some reports that some ex diplomat types had a meeting. White house has denied it but then back channels are usually denied.

that being said. one thing that has been regularly stated, Ukraine decide.

One thing to consider is ( unless things changed over the weekend ) the vast majority of Ukrainian hardware hasn't even entered the front lines. they are still in a shaping/probing state.

Biden is not going to push for negotiations while Zelinsky insists that Russia must be thrown out of Ukraine territory. So no time soon, certainly not before US election.

I disagree with your analysis. I think Biden will be perfectly happy for RussIan military capability to be expended in the Ukrainian military theatre. I don’t think the carve up to which you refer would be acceptable to the rest of NATO or Ukraine and I think he’d be perfectly happy to run on a NATO unity ticket, as broadly speaking it’s a vote-winner. Those who want to appease Russia wouldn’t vote for him anyway.

Nope.
Ukraine can only become part of NATO once Russua has been kicked out of Ukraine.
Yres fully appreciate that they are not in NATO (yet) but does the NATO charter prevent them from basing troops in a "friendly" country?
After all whilst in a "conflict" according to "the master strategist" they are only subject to a "Special Military Operation".
Putin also claimed that this was to protect the poor persecuted ethnic russians of the donbas, so whats the issue with putting troops in the regions that he is not trying to save those poor persecuted folk?
Equally, does it have to be NATO as such? Couldnt UK/Ger/Fra/Pol base some troops there...acting as a deterrent/shield?

Yres fully appreciate that they are not in NATO (yet) but does the NATO charter prevent them from basing troops in a "friendly" country?
After all whilst in a "conflict" according to "the master strategist" they are only subject to a "Special Military Operation".
Putin also claimed that this was to protect the poor persecuted ethnic russians of the donbas, so whats the issue with putting troops in the regions that he is not trying to save those poor persecuted folk?
Equally, does it have to be NATO as such? Couldnt UK/Ger/Fra/Pol base some troops there...acting as a deterrent/shield?
The answer is still no

Interesting news today on Prigozhin meeting Putinn AFTER the end of the mutiny. Plenty of articles around. Here is the KOS take.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.