Russian invasion of Ukraine

FWIW I think it's likely Russia has made it a political goal and are putting resources in to it way beyond its military significance, and Ukraine is sensibly taking full advantage of the opportunity to degrade and slaughter the Russian forces as a result. But it's also possible Ukraine has allowed itself to likewise ascribe higher value than it's really worth to the town.

But views are also poorly informed and inconsequential!
I get the Ukrainian logic, and I am also aware that you underestimate Russian capacity for gross incompetence at your peril, but I just have a nagging doubt that there’s something of more significance than is discernible about the territory.

I’ve had people on here explain the rationale for Bakhmut (or at least theirs) but I remain of the view that there’s something about it that doesn’t equate for me. Not saying my instinct is definitely right btw, because it’s mainly based on supposition, rather than anything factual, but I feel there is more to it than meets the eye - not that what I think makes any fucking difference!
This may make more sense of your gut feeling.

Maybe " no deposits of their own" was a stretch.:) It's months since I listened to the podcast but the takeaway from it, for me, was that Russia needed what Ukraine had. I'll have to listen to it again.

There are rare earths which aren't that rare, and rare earths which are really rare and really important. All it needs is the deposits to be the former not the latter, and they need a source for the latter.
The deposits may also be easier to get at or of a better quality - or as others have said, not the rare earths but lithium.

I think Bakhmut is also on the edge of a gold/diamond area, but it surely isn't tenable to be trying to extract anything that close to a warzone. Although that may be Western logic not Russian logic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.