Russian invasion of Ukraine

No deposits of its own? They have loads - they just want more.

They also have vast reserves under the permafrost in Russia’s underpopulated far east. Which is where some of the Ukrainians from Eastern regions have been shipped off to since 2014.

The idea that hundreds of thousands are being thrown into Bakmut to die for the sake of trace elements in the salt doesn't ring true to me.

Would be much cheaper just to buy the salt.
I’ve had people on here explain the rationale for Bakhmut (or at least theirs) but I remain of the view that there’s something about it that doesn’t equate for me. Not saying my instinct is definitely right btw, because it’s mainly based on supposition, rather than anything factual, but I feel there is more to it than meets the eye - not that what I think makes any fucking difference!

No deposits of its own? They have loads - they just want more.
Maybe " no deposits of their own" was a stretch.:) It's months since I listened to the podcast but the takeaway from it, for me, was that Russia needed what Ukraine had. I'll have to listen to it again.

Maybe " no deposits of their own" was a stretch.:) It's months since I listened to the podcast but the takeaway from it, for me, was that Russia needed what Ukraine had. I'll have to listen to it again.
Irrespective of the rare mineral deposits it still ’needs’ (or rather, wants) its food production and warm water naval port.

I’ve had people on here explain the rationale for Bakhmut (or at least theirs) but I remain of the view that there’s something about it that doesn’t equate for me. Not saying my instinct is definitely right btw, because it’s mainly based on supposition, rather than anything factual, but I feel there is more to it than meets the eye - not that what I think makes any fucking difference!

What do you think is there?

Ark of the covenant or the Holy Grail?

FWIW I think it's likely Russia has made it a political goal and are putting resources in to it way beyond its military significance, and Ukraine is sensibly taking full advantage of the opportunity to degrade and slaughter the Russian forces as a result. But it's also possible Ukraine has allowed itself to likewise ascribe higher value than it's really worth to the town.

But views are also poorly informed and inconsequential!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.