Russian invasion of Ukraine

Weeks into Ukraine’s highly anticipated counteroffensive, Western officials describe increasingly “sobering” assessments about Ukrainian forces’ ability to retake significant territory, four senior US and western officials briefed on the latest intelligence told CNN.

“They’re still going to see, for the next couple of weeks, if there is a chance of making some progress. But for them to really make progress that would change the balance of this conflict, I think, it’s extremely, highly unlikely,” a senior western diplomat told CNN.

“Our briefings are sobering. We’re reminded of the challenges they face,” said Rep. Mike Quigley, an Illinois Democrat who recently returned from meetings in Europe with US commanders training Ukrainian armored forces. “This is the most difficult time of the war.”

The primary challenge for Ukrainian forces is the continued difficulty of breaking through Russia’s multi-layered defensive lines in the eastern and southern parts of the country, which are marked by tens of thousands of mines and vast networks of trenches. Ukrainian forces have incurred staggering losses there, leading Ukrainian commanders to hold back some units to regroup and reduce casualties.

Yes the noises coming from some in western dedence and foreign ministries are there, but the Ukrainians are slowly advancing and are up to the SECOND line of defence in places.
The Russians had six months to set up these defences and there are mines everywhere! Even so the Ukrainianians are moving forward losing less men than the Russians (unheard of in any offensive previously)
If the Ukrainians don't get through thr defences by mud season, then it is totally down to the west NOT supplying UkraIne with the weapons to do the job (especially aircraft). Not Ukrainian guts and ability.

Last edited:
Really?

Really? You haven't noticed my posts properly then, have you.

Maybe you should concentrate a bit more on what I post.

It's a war. Both sides are taking huge losses. Or do you just want to read about Russian losses on this thread? I post both good and bad news about the war from a Ukrainian point of view. Is there anything wrong with that?
I extrapolate from the Ukrainian losses reported on social media that seem to focus on artists, poets, sports people and international volunteers that there’s been heavy casualties. It’s incredible that the Ukrainian forces are still making gains given the size of opposition forces and the time the Russians have had to strength defences.

No, I post what's in the news, good and bad. If you just want a thread about Ukranian gains and Russians losses, you're fooling yourself. This thread should be a true reflection of the war, regardless if it's good or bad news. Sometimes there needs to be an honest balance about the war and how it's going. I'll leave it at that.
12 Leopards and 23 Bradley have so far been destroyed by Russian Forces.
Not a dig that by the way.

Slava Ukraini.

No, I post what's in the news, good and bad. If you just want a thread about Ukranian gains and Russians losses, you're fooling yourself. This thread should be a true reflection of the war, regardless if it's good or bad news. Sometimes there needs to be an honest balance about the war and how it's going. I'll leave it at that.
Fair enough. I perhaps just notice more who the negative posts are from. Just seemed strange the bit you had, for some reason, decided to highlight. Maybe it was already highlighted in the article you copied it from.

Yes the noises ofvwie in westetn dedence and foreign ministries are there, but the Ukrainians are slowly advancing and are up to the SECOND line of defence in places.
The Russians had six months to set up defences and there are mines everywhere! Even so the Ukrainianians are moving forward losing less men than the Russians (unheardcof previously)
If the Ukrainians don't get through thr defences by mud season, then it is totally down to the west NOT supplying UkraIne with the weapons to do the job (especially aircraft). Not Ukrainian guts and ability.

I haven't posted anything negative about Ukraine or the Ukrainian army. I haven't commented on how the Ukrainian army is doing in the war or in general. I leave that to other posters to do.

I have read this thread from the start. I only post on it randomly. As stated, good and bad news. I don't go fishing for articles to post to cause an adverse reaction and upset on purpose. I try and balance my posts out.

I don't comment on what Spiderboy posts. Nor do I question what he posts. I have no doubt he posts what he posts from reliable sources and in good faith.

May I just remind some of you who maybe questioning my motives. Both my parents are Hungarian. Sadly both have passed away. They escaped the Russian occupation of Hunagry, along with my Brother and my Sister, and they all made a life in the UK, and contributed to this country throughout their lives. I have no love or affiliation for Russia.

One more point. I have seen more Russian soldiers and Russian armoured vehicles in Budapest in the 70's than most of you will ever see in your lives.

The fact Russian bot @Paul1970 liked this post isn’t doing you any favours…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.