Russian invasion of Ukraine

City is a wholly owned subsidiary of CFG. Mansour owns more than 75% of CFG so he is listed in City’s accounts as a person of influence. But he has no ownership rights such as buying and selling shares in City.
I like your confidence, but if this loophole was allowed, then anyone could surely buy a club, so long as they used a more complex company structure. Doesn't feel like it would hold up, unless the rules were particularly badly written, and couldn't be changed.

How about explaining how he's also not a member of the UAE Government? I know some argued that when he was a vice president, it was more a ceremonial title, but his role as Deputy Prime Minister is clearly Governmental.

I like your confidence, but if this loophole was allowed, then anyone could surely buy a club, so long as they used a more complex company structure. Doesn't feel like it would hold up, unless the rules were particularly badly written, and couldn't be changed.

How about explaining how he's also not a member of the UAE Government? I know some argued that when he was a vice president, it was more a ceremonial title, but his role as Deputy Prime Minister is clearly Governmental.
1. Owners of owners could be brought within the PL rules, but not the law as it stands. The problem with bringing them into PL rules is that in English law they would have no power to execute any PL instructions. Giving such power would be a nightmare; think of large multinationals with many owners.
2. DPM is a courtesy title given to senior members of the cabinet. Currently there are three DPMs. The cabinet has one member from each emirate and it is described as the supreme sovereign body of the UAE. It gives the final nod to legislation passed by the executive committee, which is the government. It has no executive power and cannot refuse to rubber stamp laws. Thus it occupies precisely the position of our sovereign Charlie 3. Formal body only.
The constitution of UAE is available on line.

There are two problems with this approach.
1. Mansour is not an owner or director of City.
2. Mansour is not a member of the UAE or AbuDhabi governments.
Additionally, no evidence is adduced which could make Mansour fall into the category the minister is said to use ie “an involved person.”

I expect that the “Ukrainian activist“ has his residence in Crosby.
I think the part I highlighted has enough ambiguity for the whole complaint not to matter. If, massive if and IMO not going to happen, the Foreign Secretary was to find Monsour to be an involved person then the heads of the other Emirates would be tarred with the same brush as would the Saudis. Would we, UK PLC, then stop doing business with Saudi Arabia. Stop selling fighter planes, Rolls Royce engines and parts, military training, etc, etc.
I'm not happy that it's another stick to beat us with but, I think it will all turnout to be piss n wind.

I think the part I highlighted has enough ambiguity for the whole complaint not to matter. If, massive if and IMO not going to happen, the Foreign Secretary was to find Monsour to be an involved person then the heads of the other Emirates would be tarred with the same brush as would the Saudis. Would we, UK PLC, then stop doing business with Saudi Arabia. Stop selling fighter planes, Rolls Royce engines and parts, military training, etc, etc.
I'm not happy that it's another stick to beat us with but, I think it will all turnout to be piss n wind.
Would the yanks sanction them because of NYC, Would the Aussies? Can of worms best left unopened.

1. Owners of owners could be brought within the PL rules, but not the law as it stands. The problem with bringing them into PL rules is that in English law they would have no power to execute any PL instructions. Giving such power would be a nightmare; think of large multinationals with many owners.
2. DPM is a courtesy title given to senior members of the cabinet. Currently there are three DPMs. The cabinet has one member from each emirate and it is described as the supreme sovereign body of the UAE. It gives the final nod to legislation passed by the executive committee, which is the government. It has no executive power and cannot refuse to rubber stamp laws. Thus it occupies precisely the position of our sovereign Charlie 3. Formal body only.
The constitution of UAE is available on line.
1 Still feels like a loophole. I can appreciate a publicly listed multinational (although would they Chairman/CEO be the people who the PL considered owners?), but a privately owned company seems to be a different kettle of fish. Surely it makes the whole set of rules pointless? Wouldn't it mean that effectively City have no owners at all as far as the PL is concerned?

2. Do you have a link to that bit of the constitution. I can see the Federal Supreme Council matching what you've said, but the Council of Ministers appears to be an executive body.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.