Russian invasion of Ukraine

Mark Sumner Update:
- I respect Mark's analysis and although Russia is losing men and material by the bucket load, I think wexatevindeed reaching a sort of stalemate.
I'm fingers crossed that the huge ruSSian assault on Avdiivka is almost a last throw of the dice
If it is and they do fail, are the Ukrainians strong enough to take full advantage and push onto the outskirts of Melitopol!

We can conclude the ruSSians are in all kind of bother and a bit panicky as they've swapped commanders again

I'm fingers crossed that the huge ruSSian assault on Avdiivka is almost a last throw of the dice
If it is and they do fail, are the Ukrainians strong enough to take full advantage and push onto the outskirts of Melitopol!

We can conclude the ruSSians are in all kind of bother and a bit panicky as they've swapped commanders again
Time published an article yesterday on Zelenskyy and Ukraine quoting senior Ukrainian official that is far from rosy…

Public support for aid to Ukraine has been in decline for months in the U.S., and Zelensky’s visit did nothing to revive it. Some 41% of Americans want Congress to provide more weapons to Kyiv, down from 65% in June, when Ukraine began a major counteroffensive, according to a Reuters survey taken shortly after Zelensky’s departure. That offensive has proceeded at an excruciating pace and with enormous losses, making it ever more difficult for Zelensky to convince partners that victory is around the corner. With the outbreak of war in Israel, even keeping the world’s attention on Ukraine has become a major challenge.
Despite the recent setbacks on the battlefield, he does not intend to give up fighting or to sue for any kind of peace. On the contrary, his belief in Ukraine’s ultimate victory over Russia has hardened into a form that worries some of his advisers. It is immovable, verging on the messianic. “He deludes himself,” one of his closest aides tells me in frustration. “We’re out of options. We’re not winning. But try telling him that.”
Russian attacks on Ukrainian infrastructure have damaged power stations and parts of the electricity grid, leaving it potentially unable to meet spikes in demand when the temperature drops. Three of the senior officials in charge of dealing with this problem told me blackouts would likely be more severe this winter, and the public reaction in Ukraine would not be as forgiving. “Last year people blamed the Russians,” one of them says. “This time they’ll blame us for not doing enough to prepare.”

The cold will also make military advances more difficult, locking down the front lines at least until the spring. But Zelensky has refused to accept that. “Freezing the war, to me, means losing it,” he says. Before the winter sets in, his aides warned me to expect major changes in their military strategy and a major shake-up in the President’s team. At least one minister would need to be fired, along with a senior general in charge of the counteroffensive,they said, to ensure accountability for Ukraine’s slow progress at the front. “We’re not moving forward,” says one of Zelensky’s close aides. Some front-line commanders, he continues, have begun refusing orders to advance, even when they came directly from the office of the President. “They just want to sit in the trenches and hold the line,” he says. “But we can’t win a war that way.”

When I raised these claims with a senior military officer, he said that some commanders have little choice in second-guessing orders from the top. At one point in early October, he said, the political leadership in Kyiv demanded an operationto “retake” the city of Horlivka, a strategic outpost in eastern Ukraine that the Russians have held and fiercely defended for nearly a decade. The answer came back in the form of a question: With what? “They don’t have the men or the weapons,” says the officer. “Where are the weapons? Where is the artillery? Where are the new recruits?”

In some branches of the military, the shortage of personnel has become even more dire than the deficit in arms and ammunition. One of Zelensky’s close aides tells me that even if the U.S. and its allies come through with all the weapons they have pledged, “we don’t have the men to use them.”

Since the start of the invasion, Ukraine has refused to release official counts of dead and wounded. But according to U.S. and European estimates, the toll has long surpassed 100,000 on each side of the war. It has eroded the ranks of Ukraine’s armed forces so badly that draft offices have been forced to call up ever older personnel, raising the average age of a soldier in Ukraine to around 43 years. “They’re grown men now, and they aren’t that healthy to begin with,” says the close aide to Zelensky. “This is Ukraine. Not Scandinavia.”

TLDR:- Ukraine is running out of men and weapons, recruitment has ground down to basically zero now and too many are able to bribe their way out of serving. Ukraine needs to implement serious anti-corruption measures to retain US funding meaning Zelenskyy has had to fire senior, popular military figures and nobody wants to replace them..

Amid all the pressure to root out corruption, I assumed, perhaps naively, that officials in Ukraine would think twice before taking a bribe or pocketing state funds. But when I made this point to a top presidential adviser in early October, he asked me to turn off my audio recorder so he could speak more freely. “Simon, you’re mistaken,” he says. “People are stealing like there’s no tomorrow.”

Also directly confirms what Lukashenko said a few days ago, that essentially it’s now a stalemate and Russia having this winter to restock and reinforce defences would make it impossible for Ukraine to win, so Zelenskyy has demanded to keep pushing on through the cold and mud rather than freezing again for winter.

Final TLDR: - neither side is ‘winning’ - Ukraines losses are well into the 6 figures with no masses of men signing up or being conscripted to plug gaps unlike Russia, they need a constant flow of massive support packages and can’t afford to give Russia this winter to restock or it’s all over.

I’m sure many will complain as this thread has long turned into a circlejerk, but reality is needed sometimes.

Russian domestic issues seem to be slowly coming to a head. Inflation is rampant. They can't afford another recruitment drive. Something has to give.

Time published an article yesterday on Zelenskyy and Ukraine quoting senior Ukrainian official that is far from rosy…

TLDR:- Ukraine is running out of men and weapons, recruitment has ground down to basically zero now and too many are able to bribe their way out of serving. Ukraine needs to implement serious anti-corruption measures to retain US funding meaning Zelenskyy has had to fire senior, popular military figures and nobody wants to replace them..

Also directly confirms what Lukashenko said a few days ago, that essentially it’s now a stalemate and Russia having this winter to restock and reinforce defences would make it impossible for Ukraine to win, so Zelenskyy has demanded to keep pushing on through the cold and mud rather than freezing again for winter.

Final TLDR: - neither side is ‘winning’ - Ukraines losses are well into the 6 figures with no masses of men signing up or being conscripted to plug gaps unlike Russia, they need a constant flow of massive support packages and can’t afford to give Russia this winter to restock or it’s all over.

I’m sure many will complain as this thread has long turned into a circlejerk, but reality is needed sometimes.

I hope you wiped your cock after that post...

I'm still not sure why you find positive news a bad thing.
Most here know there is plenty of bad news and are under no illusions to the realities of this war.
Of course there will be setbacks. I find your obsession with (unverified) negative news suspect.
It has been mentioned many times that moral is equally important.

A stalemate is actually a winning situation (as such) for the Ukraine.
Nobody expected them to last a week never mind this long.

Well i have some bad news for you.
The Ukraine isn't looking at short terms solutions. They have been planning for a long offensive from the start.
You don't send troops off to other countries for training if you think it will be over anytime soon. They know the route to liberating your country is to plan for what you will need later.
They will have a new batch of pilots soon. With fresh planes and new missiles.
All this while Russia is losing pilots and planes/aircraft.
Have you seen the state of the armour that the Russian's are being forced to use?

Ever wondered why they haven't dropped the bridge yet?
It isn't because of the Russian defences. If it was, we would be seeing Ukrainian attempts failing and the Russians making the most of it.

It is simply timing.
Lack of action sometimes just means something else is being planned.

Last edited:
Mark Sumner Update:
- I respect Mark's analysis and although Russia is losing men and material by the bucket load, I think we have indeed reached a sort of stalemate.
Yes that's a good read, and it's hard to disagree with much of it, but I'd sooner Ukraine look after their people first, unlike russia they can't draw on a population from wide ranging poor states from the Pacific to Finland, they can literally only draw from within their own borders.

I hope you wiped your cock after that post...

I'm still not sure why you find positive news a bad thing.
Most here know there is plenty of bad news and are under no illusions to the realities of this war.
Of course there will be setbacks. I find your obsession with (unverified) negative news suspect.
It has been mentioned many times that moral is equally important.

A stalemate is actually a winning situation (as such) for the Ukraine.
Nobody expected them to last a week never mind this long.

Well i have some bad news for you.
The Ukraine isn't looking at short terms solutions. They have been planning for a long offensive from the start.
You don't send troops off to other countries for training if you think it will be over anytime soon. They know the route to liberating your country is to plan for what you will need later.
They will have a new batch of pilots soon. With fresh planes and new missiles.
All this while Russia is losing pilots and planes/aircraft.
Have you seen the state of the armour that the Russian's are being forced to use?

Ever wondered why they haven't dropped the bridge yet?
It isn't because of the Russian defences. If it was, we would be seeing Ukrainian attempts failing and the Russians making the most of it.

It is simply timing.
Lack of action sometimes just means something else is being planned.
here's the previous headlines from the **** who wrote the article in time

F9wySWSXsAATUv0

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.