Russian invasion of Ukraine

Not for the purposes of the question I asked. I’m trying to gauge his subjective viewpoint on a binary question, not his opinion on something founded (for all of us) in speculation.

I will say, however, and fwiw, that the US have called it right on the threat of escalation so far, despite repeated (empty) Russian threats.
I would completely disagree with you on this.

If the threats are empty then the slow speed at which they have ramped things up has done nothing but cost Ukrainian lives. It seems like others have mentioned that they are deliberately acting in this way to drain Russia of resources, but they are doing it at the expense of Ukrainian lives and that shouldn't be their decision to make. Give Ukraine the choice of either ending it quicker or draining Russia's resources at the expense of their own, but don't force your own decision on them.

Their decision-making is right from the perspective of US interests alone.

I would completely disagree with you on this.

If the threats are empty then the slow speed at which they have ramped things up has done nothing but cost Ukrainian lives. It seems like others have mentioned that they are deliberately acting in this way to drain Russia of resources, but they are doing it at the expense of Ukrainian lives and that shouldn't be their decision to make. Give Ukraine the choice of either ending it quicker or draining Russia's resources at the expense of their own, but don't force your own decision on them.

Their decision-making is right from the perspective of US interests alone.
The threats are empty because of the slow pace of our escalation. If we’d taken a different approach, Putin could have responded very differently. He’s entirely capable of that.

However, tbf, I can’t disagree with anything else you’ve posted.

Surely if the fear of escalation is of paramount importance the West wouldn’t have got involved at all?
We've (the west) been involved with Ukraine since the russians annexed Crimea in 2014, and invaded the donbas area, including having trainers on the ground in Ukraine until the end of 2021, when they were pulled out because of the imminent invasion that happened on Feb 24th 2022.

We'd discussed them joining NATO and the EU since 2014, so none of it is new.

Stuff 14/09
This bit in the article.....
"Meanwhile, in Kursk, Russia’s offensive on the western side appears to have culminated. Ukraine still drives north from Novyi Put, but do the Ukrainians have enough to make it up the road to Glushkovo?"

I honestly "think" they are going more west of Glushkovo and going completely round it.
"IF" the next village they target is Sukhinovka,thats what they are doing,with the potential of encircling thousands of Russians.
155th Naval Infantry Brigade would be amongst that encirclement.
I guarantee they wont be in no prisoner exchange fund...EVER.

Slava Ukraini.

We've (the west) been involved with Ukraine since the russians annexed Crimea in 2014, and invaded the donbas area, including having trainers on the ground in Ukraine until the end of 2021, when they were pulled out because of the imminent invasion that happened on Feb 24th 2022.

We'd discussed them joining NATO and the EU since 2014, so none of it is new.
I know and appreciate all that. I’m only saying that in all the decisions the West have made throughout that period, and the decisions being made now, the fear of escalation is only one consideration, not always the most important one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.