Russian invasion of Ukraine

The Russian government will try to blame anyone and everyone for this mess but it's nobody elses but their own. They invaded a sovereign state with the intention of eradicating it, something that hasn't happened in Europe since world war 2, then as a war tactic raised their nuclear readiness without provocation.

I can't stand Liz Truss, I can't stand Boris Johnson and I can't stand this Tory government but Ukraine being invaded and Russia raising it's nuclear readiness isn't on them.
Yes I agree with you on all points.
It’s specifically on the point of why they say they issued the threat.
Retract the offending statements whether you mean it or not then let us see if it’s bluster re nuclear threat.

genuine qu for those with more knowledge in military/war stuff; if a govt actively arm civilians and encourages civilian resistance to an invading force, do they become viable military targets? as in, within law? It's horrible, but i am worried about what Ukraine might be heading for, considering the vexed Russian leadership.

You are asking two questions there, which seem more law related than war related.

Within the territory of the Ukraine no criminal law applies but its own. So if, under Ukrainian law, it is lawful for citizens to take up arms against a hostile invasion - as is guaranteed by the constitution of the USA, for instance - then that is the end of the matter.

The only other law that might be said to apply is international law. However, since the invasion is clearly illegal as a matter of international law the state of Ukraine has the right to respond (within its own borders) as it will.

War is only justified as a matter of international law in two circumstances: one as a matter of self defence, two in furtherance of a mandate from the UN. Plainly Ukraine is engaged in self defence so from its perspective the law is entirely on its side. The Russians on the other hand are engaged in an illegal war of aggression and equally plainly it could not rely on international law unless (say) Ukraine started using weapons or methods banned by the Geneva convention.

It is supposedly both, the 'illegal sanctions' and the 'aggressive statements' by Liz Truss, that poor Putin has no choice but to respond to by raising nuclear alert levels. That was what he himself said.

Before one of the ministers said he wont name names but then said it was her.

Her comment was simply that if he doesnt stop with Ukraine there would be a threat to other bordering countries which are part of NATO and NATO would then be involved.
You don’t know what the moron Truss said in private

Kharkiv, Ukraine's interior ministry adviser Anton Herashchenko has said.

"Kharkiv has just been massively fired upon by grads (rockets)," he wrote on Facebook.

"Dozens of dead and hundreds of wounded."
So no verified source, just yet more unsubstantiated claims like the dicks who claimed thermobaric bombs had been used last night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.