Sane left out of Germany World Cup Squad

He didn't start because we were playing 352.

You don't think Bayern have sway with the German FA? You don't think playing for Bayern improves your chances? You don't think playing opinion Germany helps your chances? Ok. We'll have to agree to disagree. I even have a Spurs fan living next door who seems to hate City, he couldn't wait to text me saying Sané should have chosen Bayern. There is literally no way on this planet had Sané had his statistics and won young German player of the year playing for Bayern that he'd have been left out. You know that.

So Brandt has no better statistics for Germany. Yet much worse club statistics. Thus proving my point.

I'm guessing if they lost to Austria they were all shit and it should have been a huge wake up call, it obviously wasn't.

FFS. Based on the article I have already linked but will link again here, what was Pep's opinion on Sane in preseason? Based on those comments alone if nothing else, could you accept its possible some people may determine he may have a an attitude problem? Is it possible that Pep changed to a 3-5-2 because he didn't think Sane and Sterling would be 1st choice at the beginning of the season.

Moving on to your questions....
  • No, I don't think Bayern have any sway at the DFB, and I am certain they have no control over who Löw picked for his squad.
  • Bayern try and buy the best German talent, and as a result a high proportion of the Germany side play their club football for Bayern. The fact there aren't 23 Bayern players in the German squad would suggest its possible that you can play elsewhere and still get picked.
  • I have no interest in your Spurs supporting neighbour's opinion, nor do I see why its relevant to this discussion.
  • Its impossible to know, and he didn't so its irrelevant. You could argue if Brandt was playing for Bayern rather than a mid table side his statistics would have been better, but we can't know that so what does it matter.
Summary
We agree that Leroy Sane is an excellent player.

We agree that Löw should have picked him and played him.

You think that Löw didn't pick him because Bayern told him he wasn't allowed to. I think there are a few reasons why he wasn't picked - squad depth, performances for Germany, and attitude/workrate.

I disagree with your opinion, you disagree with mine. Fine. Lets move on.

I would have took him (and started him) personally based on the season he had, I just disagreed with the point @Blue Llama made that it was a punishment for Sane playing for City and not Bayern Munich. There were justified reasons Low didn't take him, whether you agree or disagree.

To suggest Low made that decision out of spite is ridiculous, especially as it will lead to him losing his job.

I didn't say it was out of spite I said he was sending a message. Bide your time stay in the Bundesliga be a benefit to our own league and don't join a developing stars exodus. Or go elsewhere and risk a national team place. I am surprised I had to spell it out. And as for risking his job, he only recently signed a new contract and with or without Sane he would not have expected Germany to do so badly so I am sure he saw no risk in his decision just an opportunity to make a point.

Fucking hell, if people genuinely think Sane wasn’t taken for his low work ethic then please explain why Ozil was taken?
I’ve seen the chavs in Liverpool put more effort into finding a job than he does in a big game.

I didn't say it was out of spite I said he was sending a message. Bide your time stay in the Bundesliga be a benefit to our own league and don't join a developing stars exodus. Or go elsewhere and risk a national team place. I am surprised I had to spell it out. And as for risking his job, he only recently signed a new contract and with or without Sane he would not have expected Germany to do so badly so I am sure he saw no risk in his decision just an opportunity to make a point.

Where Sane plays is of no consequence to Löw - and if you believe it is, I would say that is a pretty spiteful message. I count 8 out of the 23 play outside of Germany so its a contradictory message too.

The fact is the Leroy we've seen for City hasn't turned up for Germany when he's played for them. Some might say the same of Sterling but England aren't blessed with the same depth as ze Germans.

FFS. Based on the article I have already linked but will link again here, what was Pep's opinion on Sane in preseason? Based on those comments alone if nothing else, could you accept its possible some people may determine he may have a an attitude problem? Is it possible that Pep changed to a 3-5-2 because he didn't think Sane and Sterling would be 1st choice at the beginning of the season.

• No, I don't think Bayern have any sway at the DFB, and I am certain they have no control over who Löw picked for his squad.
  • Bayern try and buy the best German talent, and as a result a high proportion of the Germany side play their club football for Bayern. The fact there aren't 23 Bayern players in the German squad would suggest its possible that you can play elsewhere and still get picked.
  • I have no interest in your Spurs supporting neighbour's opinion, nor do I see why its relevant to this discussion.
  • Its impossible to know, and he didn't so its irrelevant. You could argue if Brandt was playing for Bayern rather than a mid table side his statistics would have been better, but we can't know that so what does it matter.
Summary

You think that Löw didn't pick him because Bayern told him he wasn't allowed to. I think there are a few reasons why he wasn't picked - squad depth, performances for Germany, and attitude/workrate.

I wouldnt bother, from the moment he started telling you that you were talking rubbish and asking for evidence I thought there's someone who wont change their mind.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, as am I. Pep agrees with mine though.

If you watch them play, Brandt works harder than Sane, and therefore is more involved in the game. Equally, I felt Sterling was more consistent than Sane (in terms of level of performance) but I'm aware Leroy took the individual award at the end of the season.

As I've said, if I was Germany manager, I would have taken and started him personally, but my original post was to disagree with a poster saying Sane had been left out as a punishment for choosing to come to City rather than stay in Germany, and was offering justification.

You make a good point about some of those players getting picked despite having mediocre seasons. They are reigning champions though so it was a little different to England playing Rooney etc. There is no way of knowing whether Sane would have made a difference though.
I think both Brandt and Sane should have been starters for Germany. The coach went for the tried and tested but they came up flat as a pancake. Tired and out of form at least 5 or 6 players were truely pathetic and offered nothing including. Khadeira, Ozil, Draxler, Muller, and Gomez. If they had picked a team as follows they would have done a lot better and most certainly qualified. Neurer, Plattenhardt, Hector,Boetang, Rudiger, Brandt, Kroos, Kimmich, Sane, Reus and Werner. The formation would be roughly 433 with Kimmich pushed higher up the pitch without the responsibilty of getting back. A lot more energy and creativity I would think Oh and goals perhaps.

Summary

I've read the article. You've jumped massively from "he didn't arrive good, he didn't play well" to an "attitude problem". I'm not going to base my opinions on what you've made up.
There is zero mention of attitude.

We simply started with 352. We were pretty average with it. We soon changed and the rest is history.

Your idea that if he'd had the season he'd had for us for at Bayern and he'd have not been a dead cert is frankly a lie. You know it is.

Oh yes, Brandt is playing for a much worse team, with much worse statistics, yet still got picked. You claim on work rate. Something Leroy is exceptional at, regularly commented on by pundits. I think it's because he plays in Germany.

You've jumped to your own conclusions. The fact that Sané did have a better season than any German forward, the fact that Germany clearly lacked pace, invention and the ability to beat a man would suggest they made a huge boo boo.

How's Ozil's work rate? Attitude? Better than Sané? What about Muller or Draxler?

Fact is, Sané had a much better season than Ozil, Draxler, Muller,Goretzka(played wide yesterday), Reus, Gomez. Sané was considered one of the best if not the best young forward in Europe. You think he got left out for footballing or attitude reasons. I think you're bonkers.

The signs of rot were already visible long before the world cup? iirc the Germans stumbled trough their qualifications and the people thought "well, doesnt matter how as long as they are trough" , probably thinking back to previous times where such had been the case and Germany went far anyway.

Bad as Sane's performance might have been for Germany obviously the team as a whole wasnt perfoming to level neither especially in this world cup.

I dont think Löw can argue he didnt take Sane because of matters of personality , Sane is proffesional enough. The only argument would be that he didnt fit the strategy? Albeit a very unsuccesfull strategy at that which delivered Germany's most humiliating defeat since almost a century. The most obvious criticism to level at Löw for this calamity is how few performance he managed to get out of the pool of players and talent available to him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.