Schalke Travel Plans

First time traveler to these parts. Anyone able to tell me is public transport a safe bet after the game to dusseldorf or does it start to close down late at night?

Other possibility is me and my son drive, if we did would dusseldorf still be the best place to base ourselves? Sorry, naive questions probably

First time traveler to these parts. Anyone able to tell me is public transport a safe bet after the game to dusseldorf or does it start to close down late at night?

Other possibility is me and my son drive, if we did would dusseldorf still be the best place to base ourselves? Sorry, naive questions probably

I went we we last played Shalke in 2008
Dusseldorf was a great place to stay and getting to Gelsenkirchen in the afternoon and then up to the stadium (which is about five miles out of town) wasn't a problem
The issue was getting back. There is free public transport laid on to get supporters back into town, but it was the hanging round for the train back to Dorf and how absolutely packed it was. No exaggeration, there must have been a thousand blues on three carriages

Düsseldorf is the posh place... Fashion City of Germany. A lot of rich people of the Rhein-Ruhr area and players from the surrounding clubs often live there... Japantown of Germany.

I once had a conference for my old company in Cologne - but we stayed in Düsseldorf and went to Cologne by train every day. Around the train station in Düsseldorf there are a lot of nice bars. So you will find a lot places to meet prior to the match.

The cities in the Rhein-Ruhr area are close too each other. The RE goes often non-stop from Düsseldorf to Gelsenkirchen (Schalke) and takes around 45 minutes. The IC (not included in the match ticket) takes about 30 minutes.

The trains after the match without special trains:

hqn6ibie.png

Last edited:

If I was going to do it again, I'd drive to Luton and fly to Dortmund on the Tuesday. Have a night out there. Next day, leisurely make my was to Gelsenkirchen where I'd have a room booked for Wednesday night and spend the afternoon mixing in the "fans zone"
Next day back to Dortmund and fly back to luton

Birmingham to dusseldorf wed-thu £136 each return and hotel belle vue £45 each...4 of us doing this

Staying in dusseldorf Mon, Tues, Thursday, booked a hotel near the ground on the night of the match, there are trains back to dusseldorf after 11pm though

They've canceled my Wednesday to Thursday flights from manchester to Düsseldorf surely they can't do that?

They can.

Flybe did the same to me for the Lyon game. Got a refund but, by then, everything had tripled in price and I couldn't go. Bastards. I'm sure they do it because they haven't been quick enough to put the prices up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.